10/24 Everyone With a Pulse

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by kpaulson, Oct 24, 2003.

1. JMU Soccer!

JMU Soccer! New Member

Jul 19, 1999
  2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: 10/24 Everyone With a Pulse

No kidding.

It's yet another reminder to those of us in D/FW that we're blessed to have two good soccer writers locally who know the game and who pull no punches.

That being said, Steve Davis didn't write very much in that piece that Tobias Xavier Lopez over at the Startlegram didn't already write a couple of months back about how Dragon Stadium sucks. Still, even if Davis wasn't first to the punch with his "Dragon Stadium sucks" piece, he still hammered the point home with tremendous effectiveness. And you can never be overly repetitive when talking about the suckitude of Dragon Stadium, especially in the mainstream media.

But if you ask me, in his article, Davis let off the higher-ups at HSG -- who instigated the move -- on the whole issue far too easily. Or rather, he let Andy Swift and the rest of the Burn front office take the heat, when it wasn't their decision at all.

3. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: 10/24 Everyone With a Pulse

The soccer savvy white folks weren't too thrilled with it either.

Davis has it absolutley right. Every time I think about what happened it makes me so mad I could spit. It could have all been so easily prevented. Any one who visted Dragon AND likes soccer would have said not to make this move. It had disaster written all over it.

But the GD accountants ruled the day. So, fabulous, the Burn will save $1 million over 2 years. Trust me, they have lost much more.

4. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy, reading the DMN/Davis piece just brings it all back home one more time as to how pitiful a decision moving to SuckLake was, money saved or no money saved.

I'm particularly sorry for Kreis and the other Burn players who had to risk and test their livelihoods by playing at such a place...and further by having to play their one more year.

I guess it's nice they have a livelihood in soccer to begin with.

5. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Yeah, but their livelihood was threatened by such an impudent field, the most horrible ever seen on tv for soccer.

What a bad move. What a pititiful decission.

The only good news is their impending move to their own stadium.

Hope springs eternal... doesn't it?

6. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    "The distance was a problem, 23 miles north of downtown Dallas in a community that few city dwellers, of any ethnicity, could locate without a Mapsco.

Barrera said he knew plenty of people who walked to the Cotton Bowl or rode bicycles."

Is there any chance the Burn can return to the Cotton Bowl for next season, before they move to Frisco?

How will the problems with Southlake translate to Frisco? As Frisco is really not much closer to the city, how will a new stadium be significantly better?

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose they could, but there's about a zero chance that they will.
    Well, you'd probably have the same issues with the people who used to ride their bikes to games, though that can't be a very big number, since in over 100 Burn home games that I attended, I never saw or met someone who rode a bike to the game, even though I knew some people in La Mara Loca.

But I imagine that for most people who aren't attending games anymore, the problem with Dragon Stadium isn't the location, since most fans -- Latino, Anglo, and otherwise -- drove to the games. The problem with Dragon Stadium is the stadium itself. You could put it next door to the Cotton Bowl and the Burn still wouldn't get more than 8,500 fans a game. And frankly, as long as HSG does a good job with Uncle Lamar's House of Whoop-Ass, then that problem should be solved.

8. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    what a disasterous decision dragon stadium was. who ever made it should be fired.