10/23 Your playin me cheap here/Tonight I don't drink beer

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by kpaulson, Oct 23, 2003.

1. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's going to e-mail The Herald and tell them it's "MLS" not "the MLS"?

2. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha, I'm waiting for the first US outlet to report we are not going to Copa America

3. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here, to report either a confirmation or a denial of that, actually.

Have to admit, though, that article in The Herald-- and what it said about Tim Howard, at the very end of it-- was pretty sweet.

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple of items there...

(1) The key to the growth of Major League Soccer has been holding on to its best players despite the constant threat they might find soccer refuge elsewhere.

Ben Olsen and Dema Kovalenko, two members of D.C. United, last week agreed to multiyear contract extensions with the league.

So might this enhance Olsen's international prospects, say, during World Cup qualifying? I'd rate him pretty low on the depth chart-- but at least as far as midfielders go, Bruce wouldn't have to fret about getting his clearance...

(2) Initially, reports came out that the recent U.S. Open Cup final game between the Fire and the MetroStars was played in Giants Stadium because U.S. Soccer did not want to be upstaged in Chicago by the Mexico-Uruguay friendly at Soldier Field.

So U.S. Soccer settled for the approximately 3,000 fans who made it to the East Rutherford complex for the game, won by the Fire.

Now comes a report that Fox Sports World, which paid a fee to televise the game live, made the New York decision. FSW dedicated an 8 p.m. Eastern time slot to the game, which was when the Mexico-Uruguay game was scheduled. The Fire-MetroStars game would have had to start at 5 p.m.

It still would have drawn more than the official 5,000 attendance.

Oh, my word.... neither MetroStar nor Fire fans would be too pleased about that. Hmmmm...

As vital as Fox Sports World is for the role that it plays in the total image of soccer in the USA, are they really in a position of pull, yet, where they can dictate venues and kickoff times? That's what that snippet of the round-up's implying...

Very interesting stuff in the Daily Herald.

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: 10/23 Your playin me cheap here/Tonight I don't drink beer

It dictated the situation no more than the Telemundo broadcast of the Mexico-Uruguay game dictated it. That's the reason the US game had to start so early in Chicago.

There's lots of blame to go around for this one. As usual, Kent leaves on tidbit out. Like how Bocanegra is definitely gone (which I wouldn't doubt) without ever having Boca or anyone else state that.

In a way, I guess it's good to now have writers who just shoot off their mouth.

6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it me, or didn't pretty much everyone feel that Columbus had the best roster in the East during the pre-season?

7. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pardon me for my Pollyanna-esque take on this, but this guy is a regular sports columnist, and in fact a bunch of us got all bent out of shape with his take on national-team callups earlier this year. What struck me in this column is that this is exactly the sort of ignorant, know-it-all, mindless questioning of authority that guys like this tend to spew for the other sports.

In short, SOCCER HAS ARRIVED! :)

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: Re: Re: 10/23 Your playin me cheap here/Tonight I don't drink beer

Or it lands on the floor next to the can, where McBride trips over it and is knocked out of action for two months.

9. Re: Re: Re: Re: 10/23 Your playin me cheap here/Tonight I don't drink beer

. . . and a typically incompetent MLS ref protects the poster boy by sending off the wadded scrap of paper.

10. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

jesus christ, we gave you frankie hejduk! what else do you want??? zidane?!?!?!

11. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF declines Copa America invite

Well, this is news isn't it?
    USSF official confirms in Radio Unica....US will not attend next year's Copa America
    2 reasons
    -MLS season
    -10 qualifying games
    official document not yet submitted, but decision already made
    IDIOTS!

12. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Idiots? who cares about Copa America, it proves nothing, I'de rather have Bruce preparing our team for MEANINGFUL matches, like say, the 10 qualifying matches we have...

And what is the cherry on the top for me in this decision is that this means there will be less times when the star players from my favorite league in the world, MLS, are gone...

13. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If playing easy teams in early qualifying games is as meaningful to you as playing Brazil or Argentina at its strongest in one of the most storied tournament in the world is not meaningful to you, so be it. Besides, our European based players would have been available since the European would have been focused on Euro 2004, so MLS teams would not really suffered great strain, certainly not as much as the truly meaningless Confederations Cup....

14. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    I, too, must disagree with MLS3. Our players get few opportunities to square off against the best in the world, and the Copa America is an elite competition. Only by playing the best can we get better.

15. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Those qualifying games, whether we like it or not, are the path to the World Cup.

16. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Padon the last post, mistakenly sent

<First of all, can I ask why no English-speaking American outlet has yet reported on this yet?>

It's not like i have not noticed..World Cup qualifying is certainly important and it's just as important for Mexico and Costa Rica, which will be going depite not having as many European-based players as we do....I think that if they thought the opposition in the first couple of round of qualifying was going to be so great, they would have not accepted either....Furthermore, i'd be willing to claim that besides Oceania, there is no more predictable qualifying campaign than that from CONCACAF....which won't stop from watching and enjoying the games :)

Anyway these were my reasons for going (cut/pasted/edited from another post):
    *The irony is that since CONMEBOL tried aligning Copa America to Euro 2004, we would have had a great deal of our foreign contingent, especially since England and Germany have qualified, and these are the nations where most of our players are... Holland should not have much trouble with Scotland either....(for JOB) We would have had at the very least the players together for the next 15 days, at most 24-25....It would have served as great preparation for the future opponents. The route to the hex is not going to be filled with upsets....In CONCACAF these are a rarity....Even Costa Rica overcame the loss to Barbados and went on to qualify first in the Hex....Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, US will most likely be there. My other "picks " to get there are possibly Guatemala and either El Salvador or Jamaica......Anyone can see that most of these teams model their play after South American teams...We are missing a great chance here...