10/23/04 Matchday 10: Chelsea FC v. Blackburn [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by GPK, Oct 21, 2004.

1. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    On J Cole, Parker & Johnson:

JC: great pass for guddy's first goal, but over the hour he flubbed as many as he connected (remember that flick pass on the left, to...nobody:) ) still not ready for the full 90mins, but all in all a good game.

SP: 3rd out of the three. by and large he tackled well, but his passing was pretty off the mark & the bad yellow card for dissent will get him a major chewing out from the boss.

GJ: give this young man the $10,000 prize! passed well, crossed very well & beat his defenders, did not have much (any?) defending to do, so i can't say he's a straight swap for Paolo just yet, but a great game none the less.

p.s. Robben's back!!!!!!!!! :D

hee hee

2. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Well as I sit here at gone midnight I am a very happy, if inebriated, man, even before Eidur scored I was a lot happier, we were getting forward, creating chances, Johnson was a breath of fresh air.

Parker played well, fair play to the monkey man, Makelelee was not missed.

Robben was great fun to watch, although I think he did catch Blackburn on the hop. I think in future other teams will have been alerted and he might not have as much freedom. I was really pleased that Jose let Duff (what a goal) and Robben play together just to show all the experts that said they could not play in the same team.

If I can stay awake I will be supporting the Sox tonight!

3. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how ridiculous or humble it is.

4. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I said it earlier, i think it's worth repeating again.
    Ferriera is a good player, but he'll never play the way Johnson does.Glenn is a throw back to the 70's in his style of play, he's ideally suited to playing against most of the teams in the league.Thats not a knock against Ferriera, he's not used to playing the English way, and quite frankly, i don't think he'll ever be as accomplised as Johnson will be.

That being said.

For the tougher teams, where a tactically astute full back is required - well, young Johnson has about another 2 seasons to go yet to get to Ferrieras level as far as thats concerned.Against the 'big' European teams, when the games in doubt, i'd rather have the Portuguese lad starting.For now.

Scott Parker.
    Did nothing wrong, didn't make any mistakes at the back, didn't give away anything that could hurt us and was always there to help out the center halfs.
    Just like Makelele.
    However, unlike Makelele, Parker offers us a hell of a lot more going forward.He's a legitimate threat in and around the box - thats a major difference right there - and thus forces defenders to come out to him, freeing up space for the others.Not in Makelels class - who is - but, he;s got to accept, that for the next 2 to 3 seasons, he's a squad player.End of.
    Big games and European football should see Makelele start.
    Like Johnson, theres ample times in league play that he should be playing.

Joe Cole.
    As ever, it's hard to peg the kid.Looks great for a few mins and then you have to willingly look around the pitch to find him.
    Has the skills, no question, but, alas, he's still a squad player.
    With Robben and Duffs form today he's got to be worried.

btw - who thought that Super Frank had his best game of the season today.
    He was plaing great balls throught to Robben and seemed to look for him every touch.

5. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    On another note - probably not important to most on here, but, i get quite a bit of pride out of it.

There were 6 English Internationals on the field for Chelsea today!!!!!!

John Terry
    Wayne Bridge
    Glenn Johnson
    Frank lampard
    Joe Cole
    Scott Parker

..added to this the Duffer makes 7 non continental players plying their trade for an English club today.

Do a quick check, who else matched, or will match, this feat this weekend.

The future of England is BLUE.

6. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Whats that you said?

Is it conincidental that we bagged so may without the Portuguese lads?

Um.......

:D;)

7. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Well, Carvalho did start! And Smertin has displaced Tiago as the starter.

8. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Ah, it was all in jest Nice.

Smertin could very well usurp both Makelele and parker if he keeps up his form.I honestly had no idea he was as good as he is.
    yes, yes, i knew he was the Russian captain and all that, but, honestly, he looks like he was made for the English league.

Carvalho is a class act, he had a 5 minute spell today when he seemed to go brain dead, recovered well and in all other games he's been outstanding.

9. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Oh, I know. :p

Neither did I, really. Pompey fans liked him last year, but he looks considerably better playing with better players.

He did have those two horrible give aways. I've never seen him do that before; weird. I think he just got bored. Not surprising, since Blackburn didn't threaten us once.

10. bene

bene New Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Indianapolis
    good match today--a great day for iceland! :D
    *parker: I'm not his biggest fan but I thought he was passable. He did tackle well as someone mentioned earlier but he didn't go so far as to impress (me). Obviously Makka is the man and when it counts I want to see him on the pitch. It seems that parker still has a ways to go, I thought his passing was tentative at times and I know that he can be a legit threat on goal but he didn't seem so today.
    *cole: the lad breaks my heart...looks brilliant one minute and crap the next. the boy has talent, there is no doubtin that but he just seems so inconsistent. great pass to set up eidur, though.
    *johnson: I thought he looked good today. I still think that paulo should be the man for the time being but I can't say I was disappointed in his performance.

lampard looked good today too and so did smertin--I was glad to see Alexei come our way, I had heard a bit about him and seen him play a little but I think he has done very well for us.--it has been a pleasant surprise for me. heres to hopin he keeps his form for the rest of the season. So glad robben is back.
    way to go duffers!

11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It was only boring because we were so much better than the other side. Watching Arsenal is often boring in the same way. The difference is, though, that at least we had a few British lads being 'boring' as opposed to a load of foreigners :)

12. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We played well, Blackburn are a side with problems at the moment, but we still had to do the job and we did the job.

The return of Robben was just an hint of the brilliance that it soon to come from this team.

13. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004

I was was just watching AC Milan vs Inter, Eventhough that game ended scoreless I was alot more fun to watch.

-N1

14. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    finally got to watch the replay today, and was pleased.
    1.im glad scottie got the start, and maybe contiues to get minutes.
    2.the regulars in the backline were stellar as usual(bridge, carvalho, and mr. chelsea) and glenn johnson looked very good, well i thought so anyways, maybe he earned some of ferreira's playing time.
    3.the prospect of duff and robben attacking together is something to really look forward to, two of the most dangerous wingers out there i dont think any team in the epl has the fullbacks to stop it.
    4.joe cole seems to me to be improving as the season goes along and i like him attacking through the center, and lampard wether he is scoring or not is still in my opinion our most important midfielder, a very underrated passer, and is all over the pitch.
    5.up front, awesome from eidur, and hopefully kezman can break through this awful drought.

15. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    ********. I was watching that game now. Good thing it was almost over, I suppose :rolleyes:.
    As for your comment - if you don't like Chelsea, you're more than welcome to just say it.

16. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    How important getting all three points turned out now eh.
    Only 2 points off the pace, although i still would have preferred a draw in the Arsenal game.

Funniest thing i had to laugh at in that game was the post match attack by Wenger on Rooney.

I mean, he actually saw the incident ;)

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I was thinking the same thing, actually. :p
    Kind of a boring game to watch, too. Very short on skill. Probably the worst game I've ever seen Bergkamp play.
    Lets hope Mike Riley doesn't ref our game up at Manchester. :rolleyes:

18. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad Arsenal lost, actually. I know you're concerned about Man U gaining momentum, but I'll gladly make that trade-off in order to possibly start Arsenal on a subpar run of results. If Chels do their jobs, we need not be overly concerned with Man U.

Just my opinion.

Now, now. :D

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I was ticled pink when Cole hacked down Ronaldo for what would have been a penalty because I knew that it would create a chance for him to show off his selective vision. Every time Wenger loses a match he has something bad to say about the opposition. I should think that Chelsea would be happier with this result than a draw simply because being that much closer right now puts pressure on Arsenal.

I know that I am glad you are there to pressure them because with an 8 point gap to make up on them, I hardly think we can do it unless there is pressure on them... if you lot hold a 7-9 point lead over us with half a season to go I would feel more confident that Arsenal having the same lead simply because they have been in that type of situation before and would have learned from their mistakes one would think. I know everyone says having 2 teams to chase is harder than one, but I don't buy it... the way we have played so far means that having to chase any team would be hard, but if we play to potential and go on the type of runs we are capable of, there could be 3 or 4 teams in the race with 8 matches to go...

20. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I couldn't have asked for a better sports weekend.......

21. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Duff, Cole, Parker, Johnson, Robben, and the Iceman busting out, with a side of tomato soup, priceless.

I preferred the arse loss now rather than a draw, because I think it will lead to other teams taking points now that the mystique has been shattered a bit.

Its like that scene in Independence Day, where once the first ship goes down, the word rings out on how to take them down in the EPL, and no its not hope for Riley to ref each match. Though Europe already knew how, as did Chelsea finally last year...

Even without any slip ups on our part, it will probably take at least a month to close the small gap however, December 12 is going to be fun.