10/23/04 Matchday 10: Chelsea FC v. Blackburn [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by GPK, Oct 21, 2004.

1. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] v. [​IMG]

Chelsea FC 6-2-1, 20 PTS, 2nd Place (-5)
    Blackburn 1-3-5, 6 PTS, 18th Place (-19)

3:00 PM BST
    10:00 AM EST

US TV: Live on PPV, Repeat on Tuesday October 26th at 8PM & 11PM on FSW

Live on Big Blue

ChelseaFC.com

News on Soccernet

TEAMtalk-Chelsea

BBC-Chelsea

Latest Chelsea News From Google

Other Fixtures (ET) US TV

Saturday, October 23, 2004
    7:45 Norwich v Everton Live FSW
    10:00 Aston Villa v Fulham SDD 3PM FSW
    10:00 Crystal Palace v West Brom
    10:00 Tottenham v Bolton
    12:15 Liverpool v Charlton Live FSW

Sunday, October 24, 2004
    9:00 Southampton v Birmingham SDD 1PM FSW
    10:00 Middlesbrough v Portsmouth
    10:00 Newcastle v Man City
    11:05 Man Utd v Arsenal Live PPV

2. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    So, here we are then, the first of no doubt several 'crucial' weekend clashes.
    Why so?It's only Rovers?

All too do with the other match to tell the truth.
    Man U and Arsenal involved in a classic '6' pointer, us at home to relegation candidates.The Chelsea of old would fold like a deck chair on a windy day in this one, i'm hoping that some of the steel from last season, along with our 'keep 'em scoreless and see what happens' new manager will prevail in our clash.
    They're going to be tough, kicking and closing down everything, won't be an easy match.
    That being said, if we can score early, i think we'll match Boros haul.

The 'other' match.
    I'm hoping for a draw in that one.I don't want United to beat Arsenal, the boost of confidence it would give them could lead to a classic multiple win sequence of games for United.Yes, it would be nice if Arsenal lost, but in the season long big picture both of them dropping points against each other is what we need.One of them dropping points to a different opponent, whilst the other picks up all three, isn't going to help us in the long haul.There will be very few times this seson where we can hope to gain points on both of those teams from a single match - this is one of those few, we simply must take full advantage of it.Like wise if Arsenal win, early as it is still, it's the end of this seasons title shot for United as Arsenal just don't look like they'll drop 15 points whilst Man U do the reverse and attain maximum points as they are dropped.

Anything other than 3 points, against Rovers, could be a title deciding factor come May for us though, not to mention unacceptable.

3. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think that Asrenal havve to lose that one. I care not for the boost in confidence it'll give Manure, because I know that Manure can quickly fe ck up any possible advantage anyways. Nope, Arse have to lose, now is as good as time as any, and if there is a God it will signal the begining of a downward spiral for the Arse that will be a radiant joy for the rest of us. That said the smart money would be on a score draw.

WE could really do with a goal fest, as much as I like Sparky (Chelsea supporter) and want him to do well at the Burn I'd love to see us get a hatful of goals on Saturday.

4. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I've got United down for a 1-0 home win in the tipping comp Monkee :)

They just have that thing about beating Arsenal in the big match.

5. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    i can see that going either way probably not by more than one goal saying that united could go mental and score two or three but on the other hand so could arsenal.

i cant decide............so i'll hang my hat on a score draw.

EDIT:
    i forgot about our lot there to be honest seeing as how the result of the other game will no doubt play a part in the unfolding of the rest of the season.anyway no matter what happens in the other match it is without doubt a must win game and id be fairly confidant of a two maybe even three nil win,but hey one nil will do.

6. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad weekend for the PPV pakage, hey Clan?

We really need to start scoring in the league. I'm thinking 3-0.

7. The Rage

The Rage New Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Edmonton
    Your preview, as usual, is excellent, but I wanted to point out we're not playing man city.

8. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hehehehehehe...

Hungover and in a daze from the Red Sox I guess ;)

Oops.

9. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I simply have to watch the games, whether i want too or not.
    You wouldn't believe how much the wife still nags about the cost of it.

10. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well I hope the other game is a draw too, for all the reasons Clan said and because I want Chelsea to be the team that puts an end to the Gunners streak.

Our game is a must win, we dropped too many home points last season. We need a few goals to get the crowd going again it was like a morgue on wednesday night.

I was so happy when the Sox won, too bad the Astros did not win too, my mate had invited me over to Houston to enjoy the atmosphere of the World series. Looks like I will have to settle for Blackburn and the Hammers instead ;)

11. bmw9983

bmw9983 New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Boston
    I barely know what day it is, what time its...from two weeks straight at Sports Cafe in Trafalgar Square for Sox games. I can't remember the last time I slept before 5AM. This Saturday should be quite a day (HOPE!) as I'm at the Bridge at 3, then out at 1AM to watch Game 1 of the series.

3-1 to Chelsea

12. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    Sky Sports reports... Robben WILL play! hope that lights a fire under Kezman!!

13. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    go sox, diehard fan here too.

14. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Good News, Robben will see time Sat. says JM, Smerten to start it sounds like, I like his form much better than Tiago's, but still want to see Parker get a run in the 2nd or a full run midweek.

And whatever happened to Joe Cole? :)

http://www.chelseafc.com/article.asp?hlid=233221&title=Robben's+Rovers+return&nav=news

p.s. #%*&%& Dacourt

15. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This is it. Kezman to break his duck. (note: i also said this vs. Villa).

Rovers are pretty bleh at the moment, & that creep amoruso is out
    as well. all we have to do is convert our chances, simple as that.
    (yeah, simple, that's it...;) )

16. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    P.S. i think i speak for all of us when i say Dacourt & anyone who likes Dacourt can go Fornicate themselves with an iron stick. :D

17. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    LOL...I thought I was the only one catching crap for the PPV package. It's SO worth it though. I can sit on the couch at 7:30am and not stop watching EPL until like 4. Time enough to shower, eat, get some quality time with the lady before Wakefield starts floating knucklers.

As for the game, I think this needs to be a "breakout" game. Chelsea needs to put up 3 or 4 on Blackburn. We can't have another 1-0 (though I'd take it), not against a team like Blackburn. As for the other game, I can't see United pulling this one off. I see a 3-1 Arsenal win...maybe even 3-0.

18. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I second the motion!! I was at that preseason game, horrendous tackle....

19. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    johson & parker start,makelele & kezman droped robben's on the bench.

20. Tarka

Tarka New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Maryland, US
    Once everyone can begin scoring constantly, finding a finish I think you should be pretty much unbeatable. The defense is great, its just the finishing isnt there.
    I'm glad Tiago isn't playing

21. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    gudjohnsen scores 1-0 chelsea.
    nice one he just scored again while im typeing this 2-0.

22. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
  23. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Well then, i wonder what Dr I has tought up to now, must have had a range of emotions, all changing in the matter of 75 seconds.

Wet, dour, dreary weather, Rovers determined to destroy any chance of football being played, wet surface making any ball of distance hard to control once it hit the surface.Not exactly pretty stuff to watch from the comfort of the kiving room.
    We didn't create a bleedin thing for over half an our, save two quite good crosses from the right.Yes, Rovers do deserve some credit for that, however, we also didn't show any spark at all from midfield.

Johnson is putting on a decent showing and clearly has the beating of them down the wing.Carvalho and Terry holding the center and Parker and Makelele alert to stuff the middle when he gallops forward.Like what i'm seeing from the youngster.
    Parker doing okay as well.

6 of the 11 are 'home' grown and 5 are English - few clubs can say that anymore eh?

Excellent finishes from Gudjohnson, thats got to be a realy confidence booster.Just wish he could win a header from a Cech boot up the field though ;)
    Saying that, i do agree with Dr I about it though, bloody waste as we've won none - not a single knock down to one of our players - all game long.Change the tactic eh Jose.Roll the ball out ot a wing back!

Looking good for the win here and hopefully padding the goal difference as well.Rovers have nothing to offer and i doubt the game will end without Mourinho pairing the former teammates Kezman and Robben for a run out in play.

24. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    eidur from the spot picks up his hat trick :D

25. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team: