10/20 Chelsea v Sevilla, Pulisic starts

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by madvillain, Oct 20, 2020.

1. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I think Pulisic could do fine on the right, Chelsea just isn't playing through him. I'd rather he play on whichever side he is going to see more of the ball.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He is doing fine and looks fresh and rested.

3. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    A more experienced manager would identify the issues and adjust his personnel and formation at halftime to free up space for the billion dollars worth of attacking talent on the field.

Lampard will probably make like-for-like changes with CHO, Abraham and Ziyech and assume it will work.

WheezingUSASupport and nobody repped this.
  4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Don't hold your breath!

5. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Lampard typically subbed out his front three every game at the end of last season.

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm Puli's first touch on the left and results in a corner and SOG. Say it ain't so Lumpy!

Winoman repped this.
  7. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Chelsea already look way better with CP on the left and MM on the right

8. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is Havertz defending against Pulisic?!?

madvillain repped this.
  9. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    ironically havertz is the guy that needs the slow intro to the EPL not pulisic. Kai needs more time.

orcrist repped this.
  10. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Perhaps it’s me just thinking I’m smarter about this game than I am. Perhaps it’s much more difficult to do under the pressure and the spotlight. But it amazes me how often you see managers do absolutely everything they can to avoid the obvious solutions to their teams problems. I won’t accuse them of doing so in some vain attempt to prove they’re smarter than the masses....but sometimes I do wonder.

11. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manager’s instructions?

smokarz and orcrist repped this.
  12. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    better from chelsea.

13. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I think the obvious solution is that managing is hard. I know that sounds simple but I feel like I know a hell of a lot about the game, played at a decently high level, but if you put me in charge of a club I'm pretty sure my analysis, tactics and solutions would be really rudimentary. This is Lampard. I'm sure he knows a LOT more than I do about the game and he still can't get out of his own way.

I think Lampard is running into the fact that being a manager at a high level is a lot more difficult than he thought. His thinking is really two-dimensional and the solutions he comes up with are really basic as hell.

I know he is intelligent, but he's clearly not smart enough to understand what he doesn't know. I feel like he's looking at all of this and just not grasping why his paper plan isn't working as intended. He's not capable of seeing it.

diablodelsol repped this.
  14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think one of the problems with this match is that Timo Werner seems to be still recovering from the game at the w/end. His leg seems to lack oomph.

madvillain repped this.
  15. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Chelsea's offense sucks today, but in general they will score goals because they went out and bought a ton of attacking talent. But, a coach shows his worth getting things organized and settling the defense. That's not happening so far.

16. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    You can't just throw 6 attacking players on the field and assume everything will work out. That's how Klinsmann got fired at Bayern.

17. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    werners pace is like a thing unto itself entirely disconnected from the rest of the team

18. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    13 goals already this season has them among the leaders in scoring. Their problem is defense.

19. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    watching chelsea play out of pressure watching sevilla play out of pressure drake meme

20. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    what a shit game.

taylor repped this.
  21. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Oh, I don't disagree at all that the issue is defensive, except maybe to say its less "defense" and more "he has no idea how to structure and set up is team so they're incredibly unbalanced and the result is pressure on an average group of defenders and a crap GK".

I guess I'm saying the top-heavy set up plays into the overall organizational issues which cause the defensive problems.

nobody repped this.
  22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    chilwell showing well. that said angelino has a brace

23. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    chelsea hoofing and hoping, they are getting pinned in

madvillain repped this.
  24. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    havertz weak in a challenge again

25. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    sevilla def looks more likely to score in the last 10 minutes here. chelsea looks like a team that doesn't practice. who knows, maybe they don't.

dougtee repped this.