10/18Howard:ManU-Leeds

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by russ, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough call on MOTM, but I'll give it to G. Neville for being solid on defense and his cross/assist to Keane's goal.

RVN and Keane were good.

Ronaldo and Fletcher were disappointing.

Howard was quiet but alert and effective. Another clean sheet for Mr. Howard. :)

2. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll go with the idiot's choice and pick Keane. Got the goal, but was also very solid in the very rigid United defense. The Gary flavored Neville was good as well.

Man U still lacking creativity in attack.

3. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe MLS can work out a loan deal with ManU and send Forchetti over for a while.

4. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    ESPN matchtracker finally shows some data for me (good timing eh?)

I love their stats...

According to them...
    Howard had 4 saves... coming off 3 shots from Leeds (of which 2 were on target).

Anyway, another lazy day at the office for Tim...
    At least it sounds like he was better on crosses today.

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True-- and that crosses and high balls into the box had allegedly been one of the only knocks on Howard when he made the move overseas, it would appear that he has improved that part of his game.

So does Timmy's performance as a whole prepare him well for United's next Champions League challenge, against Rangers in midweek (Thursday here for me, Wednesday everywhere else)? Might be worth debating...

Oh, and I just looked at ESPN's international listings, and I'm in luck. Get to see that game live on Thursday morning, at 4:30 a.m. Melbourne time.

http://www.international.espn.com/i...eName=Australia - Sydney&LTS=A&language_ind=E

If it means anything, I'm sure you guys back home in the USA will more than likely get this game as the live show, too.

EDIT: Nope, ESPN2's got Real Madrid v Partizan Belgrade. Bugger... :mad:

6. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well,the crosses were all way too close to him.He had to punch one as he was being challenged.

7. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are scheduled to get the rematch between Rangers/Manchester United, LIVE on ESPN2 on Nov 4. So we do get a chance to see Timmy play in the Champions League. Thats unless Sir Alex decides to play one of the backups!

LB...

8. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, Olembe repeatedly kept Leeds in the game. If it weren't for a few of his last minute defensiveplays, it could have been 3 or 4.

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a nice silver lining, provided that Timmy continues to get duty in the first eleven. Which I'm sure that he will. :)

Bearing in mind the broadcast dynamics for this week, I'd be more than happy to be doing the PbP on the game thread, even if it means waking up at 4 a.m. local time here. Even if one of you have to ring me and wake me up!

Well, maybe not to go that far... but, I do feel committed to do it. Looking forward to moving the laptop into the lounge room, and everything. :D

My pick for man of the match had to be Roy Keane. Played a good captain's game, led the charge in defence, and took his goal very opportunistically. Was far from an easy three points for Man Utd, and Keane led the charge by example.

10. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Ronaldo's endless step-over moves and dives are not creative enough for you?? :)

11. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Yes. And too many touches for each player handling the ball.

Good ol phillip neville almost gave smith a goal by trying to take touches out of the back.

When did ManU start playing 4 touch instead of 1 touch?

12. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are two picture i took at the match.

First is during the first half, and the 2'nd is right before the 2'nd half started.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]