10/18 Reyna:Manchester City/Bolton [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by American40, Oct 18, 2003.

1. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Ewww, Claudio...

Shave.

2. zonker

zonker New Member

May 27, 2003
    Hey, if the beard results in starts, playing time and goals, I'm all for him keeping it.

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looks like he has some sort of jaw growth.

4. The Green One

The Green One New Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Manchester
    WEll I'll give you a city fan's account, he played well. Unlike most playmakers he gets stuck in, and was a handy player to have when bolton were pressurising at 4-2. He played some good balls from midfield and played better than McManaman who was quiet again. Great pass for wrighty's 2nd and a well-taken goal.

~ The Green ;)ne

5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    this is why I respect Reyna alot.He is extremely skillful but always will do the dirty work too.He will play defense when the team needs defense.

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    It also looks like he has some kind of growth on his theighs. Those are possibly the biggest Theigh muscles I have ever seen. I wonder how much he squats.

7. dchang44

dchang44 Member

Mar 27, 2003
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    i was thinking the same thing, his quads are monstrous!

8. sobesoft

sobesoft New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Orange County
    Especially compared with the toothpicks of #11 behind him

9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    He looks like a young Fidel Castro.

10. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    aka Ricardo Gardner. Jamaica.

Hopefully Reyna puts one away against his team in WCQ

11. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent, ya'll think this gives him a permanent starer spot?

12. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna's ball to set up SWP was wonderful. perfectly weighted and was so good that the defenders could only look on.

Reyna's goal was tucking away the ball into the empty net from a squared ball. Well taken.

13. javaj

javaj New Member

Sep 8, 2003
    Creve Coeur
    Reyna interview

Sky Sports News on FSW showed Claudio being interviewed after the game (beard and all). Said he was happy to get a start in front of the home fans and that after his ACL injury, it was great to score a goal even though the game was over.

14. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
  15. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Sampling of City fans comments on a City messageboard:

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I posted this a while ago but.... I was near to Reyna in person 2 years ago ( at a game in Foxboro)and I was really surprised how muscular he was/is. He is small but very, very powerfully built. I remember commenting to a friend that he looked like he had been lifting a lot of weights.

17. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    [​IMG]

18. former baller

former baller New Member

Mar 10, 2002
    Great he's starting.

19. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just my two cents worth, but it might be too soon to expect Reyna to be a game-in, game-out starter, especially with the depth of attacking players that Man City have, and especially since they're still in the UEFA Cup as well.

Kevin Keegan has a wealth of talented players, built for a "squad system" mentality, and Claudio Reyna is one of those types of players.

He may be a permanent fixture in the starting eleven at some point, but I think his role is pretty well fixed right about now.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    With Citeh still alive in the UEFA Cup, upcoming FA Cup and the Your Company Here For Cash League Cup games still to come, MC will have a lot of games and plenty of chances for Claudio, either in the EPL or the various cup games.

21. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I tend to agree.

Lets not get carried away here and assume that just because he scored goal #6 in a rout that he had a fabulous game. It sounds like he was involved little for much of the game.

I am a big Claudio fan, and think he has great skills for the EPL, but if he wanted to be guaranteed a starting spot, he may have gone to the wrong team.

I think he'll eventually be an "automatic" starter, but probably not for another month or so.

22. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on all three points. :)

One, he had a very quiet first half, if my observations via the various matchtrackers are any indication. Only after halftime, and after McManaman was subbed out, did Reyna have more of a direct influence as an attacking player on the proceedings.

Two, going to City shows that Reyna's ambitions as a player are far greater than just being a shoo-in for someone's first eleven, but rather he wants to be in a position where he can win honours in Europe.

Lastly, I thought it would be somewhere around the end of October when he'd crack the starting lineup. Even though that prediction would seem right on line, I don't think we've seen the best of Reyna yet.

23. SouthLondonYank

SouthLondonYank New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    South London
    Went to the match - my Whites certainly took their lumps

Reyna had a good, but not great match. He, and the rest of the City midfield were non-existent in the first half - quite frankly Bolton should have led by a goal or two at the break (N'Gotty and Campo missed absolute sitters)

City just ripped apart the Bolton back four in the second half especially the left side of the Bolton defence (Gardner and Charlton)

Claudio played decently - the through ball on the third goal was class and of course he had the sixth - but Saturday was all about SWP and Sibierski with some finishing by Anelka - that was the engine of the game - Reyna really wasn't in the flow except on those two occasions - he also had some laughable efforts on a set-piece or two - good work rate - some good touches - certainly not gangbusters

Then again, I had to take the train up to Bolton after that ridiculous beating - still can't get over it - we haven't been that bad in 3 years

24. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    No - I think he'll play pretty regularly and not just gaze from the bench.

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Reyna on Shaun Wright-Phillips

http://www.manchestercity-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=124791

- Claudio Reyna, City's last scorer on Saturday with his first for the club, doesn't see any reason why the England U21 international won't progress into the senior squad.

"England will need a new generation after Euro 2004 and I'd be very surprised if Shaun wasn't part of it. He is a very good player and such a talent going forward. Some people say that he doesn't score enough goals, but he scored two great efforts against Bolton.

"He is a huge talent and I can see him improving all the time because he has a good head on his shoulders and he wants to learn," added Reyna. "Some youngsters make the breakthrough very early such as Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen, but they are few and far between and both those guys are rare talents.

"But games and experience will help Shaun develop and if he does well in this league, there is no reason why he won't do well for England because international football is not as tough as the Premiership."

... At least he didn't say "massive" or "brilliant."