10/18 Reading (Hahnemann) vs. Preston NE (Lewis) [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Wahoo, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Well here's the start of another game ... with 2 yanks...

ESPN/Soccernets page has both Eddie Lewis and Marcus Hahnemann starting...

I can't get the matchtracker to work for this one so if anyone has internet radio links... I would appreciate one.

Thanks,

2. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Preston strike first...

Fuller in the 19th

Reading 0
    Preston 1

3. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Reading strike back

Goater scores a penalty in the 38th minute

Reading 1
    Preston NE 1

4. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Broomes with a 2nd yellow, so he's off. Referee sent Brown off also. So, 1-1, PNE down to 10 men, and are without their manager. PNE bunkering, trying to get to halftime.

5. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Looks like we've made it to halftime at the Madejski Stadium all tied at 1.

6. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    And the away team, complete with 10 players goes up in this one.

Graham Alexander converts a penalty for Preston in the 52nd minute.

Reading 1
    Preston 2

7. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    PNE almost gets another, but Hahnemann makes a great save. Still 2-1.

8. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Fuller goes down in the box, PNE announcers screaming for a penalty, but the ref gives Fuller a yellow for diving. Announcers say the refs blew it, that it was a penalty.

Hopefully I'm in the correct thead this time!

9. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    :)

10. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    I missed it, but Eddie Lewis was subbed out in the 53rd minute. Tactical, wanting more defense, I believe. 11 minutes left.

11. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Savage hits the post for Reading. 3rd time this game the post has saved PNE.

12. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Mackie scores a nice header for Reading, 2-2.

13. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Corner to PNE, 4 minutes left...

14. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    O'Neil heads just wide for PNE, 2 minutes left. Creswell off for Rob Edwards, defender for an attacker.

15. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Still 2-2, FIVE minutes of stoppage!

"Where did he get THAT!?" says the announcer about the ref.

16. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Reading scores in stoppage, Forster deflects it in.

17. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    FT, Reading wins 3-2. PNE announcers still going on about the non-penalty to Fuller. Says Reading fans are 'relieved'.

18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    MH had a couple good saves, but only took three shots and gave up a goal, plus the penalty goal which isn't on him. Still, he's getting ripped for positioning in print and there's unease in the broadcasts about his play. At the very least, it sounds as if he isn't ripping off strings of games like last year when he stood on his head.
    RichardL, or anyone with Mad access, what's up with him this year? Or are the reports exagerated.

19. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well yesterday I'd just returned from Barcelona in the early hours of the morning, then been forced to get up early, and then had a few pints of guinness in the social club while watching England beat South Africa in the rugby world cup, so my judgement of yesterday isn't what it could have been, but.... it did look a poor mistake for the first goal. Oddly, if he hadn't got a touch at all it probably wouldn't have looked so bad, but the fact that he half-stopped it made it look like it was totally saveable. Generally when a keeper makes a mistake it leads to a goal, and people ask questions. Do it two games in a row and people ask a few more. The most telling thing is that after making the mistakes he's gone on to make crucial saves. One yesterday stopped what looked like a certain goal for a 3-1 lead. Most can look at that and say that he's just made a couple of mistakes, as all keepers do (look at Cudicini yesterday) rather than it being a downturn in form or confidence.
    There has been a noticeable drop in discipline/concentration since Pardew's departure across the whole team and it's been harder to pick out players who have played well over the last month or so, than it is to pick fault. Hopefully with a new man in charge normal service can be resumed as soon as possible.

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sharing the hope. But watched the highlights and the first goal was a disaster. He obviously didn't see it until late, but anytime you let a ball roll under your arms while your hands are on the ground is pretty bad.