10/16 Blueprint 3: The Gift and the Curse

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by kpaulson, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Swede

Swede New Member

Feb 1, 2000
    Chicago IL
    I love this quote!

''I hate that team,'' frustrated MetroStars general manager Nick Sakiewicz said. ''I thought we fixed this problem when we got Bradley.''

Obviously not!

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Thank you, Noah.

This is all that matters: Major League Soccer denied claims made by Chivas Executive President Ivar Sisniega to the Mercury News that the Mexican club's proposed MLS expansion franchise will be allowed to carry more foreigners than other teams.

MLS spokesman Trey Fitz-Gerald said Chivas USA will use the same set of rules as everyone else. Each team is limited to three senior internationals, who are 25 or older. However, teams may have an unlimited number of youth internationals, who are younger than 25, but there may only be 20 of them league-wide. Currently, there are 13 youth internationals in MLS.

4. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so, Chivas USA will be the Chivas youth team?

6. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    I submit, as part of the MLS Spite Campaign 2004, everyone picks up a couple more youth internationals. There's no reason that number can't be 20 by 2005. Then, all we need to do is leave nothing but white-bread gringos unprotected in the expansion draft to make my campaign a success.

7. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Make them all Canadians.

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said the other day, I think the comments about bending the rules have come almost exclusively from Sisniega. Didn't he say the rules would be changed around the time of the All-Star Game, only to be contradicted by Vergara a day or two later?

9. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. If Sisniega ever says the sun rises in the east, I'm getting up early the next morning just to double-check.

10. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Very astute for the posters that picked up on that Siengra (or whatever his name is) was the only one making the comments about the Senior International spots. Just because one author states a possability doesnt mean that Chivas USA will be a Chivas youth team. Does anyone actually know what kind of youth or reserve teams they already feild. I suppose that it would actually be a pretty smart move for Vierga to do so, it could build up American interst for his Mexican side. However, unless MLS drastically changed the way player contracts were owned, wouldn't that be prohibative. I know there's been a lot of speculation and suspicion as to what Chivas USA will be, but maybe we all just need to take a big breath before ranting about something.

Some great articles today btw. Good news about the Chicago stadium, not so great news about the attendance at the Open Cup final, but I think it was the right move not to play it in Chicago.

11. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    There can be only 20 youth internationals at one time currently there are 13. If Chivas want to pick up 7 then fine, they still ave 11 other players to fill the roster. If SI's get bumped up by one player to 4 then, 7 players will be mexican-american players or green card holders. They won't win with 7 youth internationals. If a team could then all 20 spots would be filled by now.

12. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Glad to hear the Chivas confirmation news. Both for the fact that it's good news for all MLS followers, and because it makes those fools who have been so quick to always bitch about how MLS will let them circumvent the rules and how they will give up on the league look like idiots.

Until something is officially said by the league, Don Garber, and the investor/operators, we should all calm down and take everything as a rumor at best.

My soccer dream is that someday, all Bigsoccer posters will just trust that the money people behind our league actually know what they are doing and have a sound plan in mind for soccer in America.

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I share that dream, but our hopes along these lines are contending with the history of American soccer in the 20th century, during which the money people who ran all the leagues from the ASL through the NASL and beyond tended to shoot themselves (and our game) in the foot. To say nothing of those who ran the WUSA, who shot themselves in the head. MLS does give me more confidence with each passing year... but then again, I'm old enough to have lost the NASL, too.