10/14 "mainstream media coverage"

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by kpaulson, Oct 14, 2003.

1. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    John Ertmann????

a google search for "major league soccer" brought this up: Equibase President Ertmann resigns after short stint
    in the story:
    who was this guy? i'd never heard his name before. pretty cool mls is mentioned at thoroughbreadtimes.com?

2. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going up against the Cubs, I think Chicago would struggle to get even 5k tonight.

3. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    The Fire did draw just fine against an obviously less important game last weekend. Weeknight draws in Chicago have been, at times, among the poorest in the league. That's probably a more important factor.

Obviously, it's not quite at the same time as the match and not nearly the same importance to city, but I hear a NY team is playing baseball tonight too.

4. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but I think the Yankees going for their first World Series in two years (and 5th in 8 years) vs. the Cubs going for their first in 58 years wouldn't have quite the same drain on attendance. Maybe all things considered, it balances out in the end.

5. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who wouldn't call bullsh!t on this.

I guess your ridiculous prediction never has to be tested, huh?

6. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This idea would work only if we had a National Stadium(well not only) . Only way to be done is if followes the same lines as the MLS Cup. Select a sight well in advance and promote it, sell tickets a year in advance, make it a showcase, a soccer celebration. Could be given to a city with a good track record for big events, not necessarely MLS cities. Portland might work, they love their soccer, how about St Louis next year and so on. Cities would have to bid for it and a major sponsor be involved of course.

7. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Just wanted to admit when I'm wrong. Maybe the huge crowd last night should have been catching a glimpse of MLS teams, though the game itself was so tepid that I don't know if it would have been a good advertisement.

8. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

it's a title game... teams are going to do everything they can to not make a costly mistake

it's not going to be the prettiest soccer you see

as for the talk of chicago not having a crowd for yesterday's match... that's *#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#... they specifically set up a match to coincide with the title game to give it a crowd

that's called being smart and good business

too bad the ussf isn't about that sort of thing... they see no reason to try and attract new mls fans... which there would be tons of potential new mls fans at the mex-uru match

bad, bad move by ussf

put it like this... the match yesterday would have out-drawn the cubs game

think about that