10/10 Events in England Cause Embarrassment

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by kpaulson, Oct 10, 2003.

1. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    from the Boston Herald

rough year for TnT... i hope that he's still considered to be in the USMNT pool but with all the time he lost...

another quote for the turf apologists.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That article in the KC paper is one of the best MLS features I've ever read, and I've read a lot of them.

It's a great story and well written. Kudos to the author and the paper for giving him that much space.

4. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Jim Rome in 3..2...1.. I can see him now with his morning cup of coffee with the LA times in one hand, and his pud in the other salivating over this one..

5. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    From the Sun-Times article on the Fire:

"The new Soldier Field is gorgeous,'' Wilt said. "It'll play well for soccer. Its verticalness will hold the sound in, and our crowds are known to be noisy. They'll be on top of the action. With the increased steepness, our sightlines will be like the old Chicago Stadium was for Blackhawks games. And the improved amenities are tremendous.''

Nice reference vis a vis the sightlines. Now, if Section 8 can make NSF sound like the Blackhawks' old barn, that place will be rockin'.

6. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Agreed. I sometimes email writers when I particularly enjoy a MLS story. I'll probably send a note to this guy telling him how much I enjoyed his story.

7. EPL players sound like NBA players.

8. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Split decision - KC Star
    "We were like, Kansas City? Where's Kansas City?"

Extremely good column.

Two All Stars on and off the field for MLS. Both catch a lot of grief around here but MLS would not be the same without them.

9. JMU Soccer!

JMU Soccer! New Member

Jul 19, 1999
    Re: Re: 10/10 Events in England Cause Embarrassment

Very good article. And much of it rings true. My job relocated me to Kansas City from the east coast when I was 22, I gave the city a chance and really grew to like it. My two years spent there were a great experience.

10. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Most of us here in KC would appreciate articles like this one to not be written. We like our wide spaces, cheap prices, mostly-open roads, and guaranteed good weather 10 months a year. To the coastal: Feel free to never come here to see if the articles true, but if you do, welcome and enjoy the ribs.

11. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well I'll have you know that being an East Coast boy that lived in Missouri for a year, it was easily the worst year of my life and drove me into a suicidal depression. So if you'd like to put that in some kind of tourism pamphlette go right ahead.

12. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    I second --or third?-- that opinion.

Great article and great guys, Meola and Lalas.

America's soccer will always be indebted to them. No question about it....

I e-mailed the author expressing my appreciation...

13. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: 10/10 Events in England Cause Embarrassment

YOu must have lived down in the bootheel. That will do it every time. :D

14. AriesFlame

AriesFlame New Member

Nov 28, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Here's my question: were these miscreants in England hanging around with NBA players--more specifically of the TrailBlazer variety--during the offseason? That can be the only explanation for this rash of police blotter material.