10/1 Howard: VfB Stuttgart v Man United [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by soccerfan, Oct 1, 2003.

1. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Rush ;-)

2. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was Hungarian! ;)

3. entropy

entropy Member

Aug 31, 2000
    People's Republic of Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    So for today's result, we have:

Ethnic Hungarians 2 - 1 ManYoo.

And the American GK (half-Hungarian, btw) saves a PK to keep his team in the game.

Pretty good result as far as I'm concerned. :D

4. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    I heard it on the UEFA website. It was thunderous.

5. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Looking forward to watching the game via my new UEFA Match Pass.

6. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Amen to that!!!

7. 18214

18214 New Member

Aug 18, 2003
    new jersey
    all his life

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  9. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
  10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    The match report from SkySports was a little rough on Timmy. But at least he wasn't the only one:

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,7-1105418,00.html

11. Isisbud

Isisbud New Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Encinitas
    The best $40 I ever spent.

12. RedDevil10

RedDevil10 New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    Utah
  13. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that would be illegal my friend. ;)

14. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Can somebody please PM me their bank account pin number?

15. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    \

check your pms.

16. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    Alan Green (bbc radio) was critical of Howard in his summary of the match, saying that he doesn't communicate enough with his defenders ala Schmeichel.

ps that Ronaldo is a diver. His fall to the ground for the Man U penalty was disgraceful.

17. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    kicker rated Howard 3

18. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    1-that may be, but howard cannot be faulted for the gaping maw the backline resembled on both goals

2- :rolleyes:

i watched this one - timmy had little to do in the first half, but had a few hiccups in the second

48' overruns a corner that bounces in front of him, scholes heads off the line to save his ass

50' the D leaves him in dutch, but timmy leaves his line to soon and szabics curls softly around him for the first goal

52' not really timmy's fault but narrowly loses a footrace with kuranyi after the D parts the red sea for stuttgart

80' timmy's highlight as he expertly stops meira's PK

but i can agree with kicker on a 3, he did make another togh save to keep manU in late

all in all, however, i'd say a good experience for TH - a 5-0 old trafford whooping of panathinaikos ain't exactly gonna get the mental feet wet, ya know? that was a pressure cooker last night

19. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    Hey, welcome to the EPL, I know it must be confusing, but, when fouled in the box, players have decided their best chance is to go down in order to get the penalty that they normally deserve, while if you stay up and get fouled you'll never get the PK. Again, welcome, and enjoy your stay, see Robert Pires circa 2003 vs. Portsmouth for more information.

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  21. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    You honestly think it's an EPL thing?

Believe me, I'm no big fan of the EPL-- I much prefer Spanish football. Personally, I'd rather the game be played more on the ground and that defenders be somewhat afraid of contact with opposing players.

But whatever defects I perceive the EPL to have, diving is not one of them. Diving is much less common in the EPL, where we have constant calls and opinions from "experts" on the footie shows about how disgraceful diving is, than it is in any other leagues I watch.

22. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    I know, and Green made more of the defensive weakness in his report than of Howard. But it is interesting in that I think this is the first time that I have heard an "English" (Green is N. Irish) commentator seriously question Howard's ability. Until now it has been overwhelmingly positive, with one or two marginal mistakes outbalanced by penalty saves / generally solid play.

My point about Ronaldo's diving is that Ferguson came out with all this crap about how his players don't dive before the Arsenal game, trying to gain the moral high ground. Obviously forgetting that he has Ronaldo and v Nistelrooy in his team, and Beckham was partial to a bit of diving when he was there as well.

23. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    Scholes dives when the opportunity arises, too. He's terrible at it, but that doesn't stop him from doing it.

And to keep this on topic, Tim Howard's biggest weakness IMO is that he is indecisive, imprecise, and not commanding on corners and long crosses. I think he doesn't read the flight of the ball early enough to make a decisive move for the ball. From the text commentary I read, he did this twice before the goals.

His reactions on point blank shots and penalties, however, appear to be outstanding.

24. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen the game but seen the goals on FSW World Report, can't tell how the action came about or if Howard was indicisive on the goals, and that is all that counts, doesn't it ?
    From what i can tell Howard came out to close the angle, yes he could have stayed on his line and wait,..wait for how long,goalkepers are told to come out and close the angle when one on one situations, and that was what it was the case on both goals. Only a moran would fault Howard on the two goals. It would have been nice if he could have prevented one or both goals, lets not forget he is human afterall. Maybe they should keep Barthez.

Howard Voted man of the match at 40%, followed by VanN at 19%

25. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

do you have a link to buy one? didn´t see it on uefa.com, maybe they only show it on matchdays