1 to 32: World Cup 2010 Qualification Timeline [Multiple Rs]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by almango, Mar 30, 2009.

1. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Couldn't find a thread on this yet but with the possibility that there may be qualifiers to add to South Africa this week its probably worth starting

1. South Africa (Host)

Possible qualifiers this coming match day

Australia (need to defeat Uzbekistan at home and have Qatar and Bahrain draw their match). A draw between Australia and Uzbekistan would leave Australia a point short with 3 games to play

This set of results would also leave Japan 1 point short of qualification with 3 matches left to get the extra point.

Teams looking good at an early stage elsewhere include Spain, Netherlands, England and paraguay although none are mathematically qualified nor will they be after Wednesday (although I would be pretty confident if I was a supporter of any of these nations).

2. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Re: 1 to 32: World Cup 2010 Qualification Timeline

No qualifications on this match day.

Next AFC match day (June 6) could see the following teams qualify:

Australia (Win or draw)
    Japan (Win)

3. Evil Bill

Evil Bill New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC

Holland will be the first European team to qualify if they beat Iceland on June 6th.

4. Re: 1 to 32: World Cup 2010 Qualification Timeline

Well, we actually promished them to let them win if they returned our money and they did, so....:p

5. sindy9001

sindy9001 New Member

Apr 8, 2009

I agree that Holland will be the first European team to qualify if they beat Iceland on June 6th.[​IMG]

6. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

3 teams have a chance of qualifying in the upcoming round. In order of games played they are

1. Japan. Will qualify from Asian Group A with an away win over Uzbekistan.
    2. Australia. Will qualify from Asian Group A with an away draw to Qatar.
    3. Netherlands. Will qualify from European Group 9 with an away win over Iceland

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Uzbekistan 0:1 Japan Full Time

Japan had a late red card. They qualify for World Cup 2010.

An [R] should be added to the topic title.

8. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

1. South Africa (Host)
    2. Japan

Japan Make it with a 1-0 win away to Uzbekistan.

Australia and Netherlands can also qualify this round

9. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

South Korea can qualify today as well.

10. dethwing

dethwing New Member

Jul 4, 2008

Wikipedia said that too, but I don't see how it's possible. Both Korea DPR and Saudi Arabia are within distance to tie or pass. And since the first tiebreak is overall goal difference, it's impossible to say anything definite.
    What am I missing?

11. dethwing

dethwing New Member

Jul 4, 2008

Nevermind, I've got it. Korea DPRs last game is agaisnt Saudi Arabia, so it's not possible for both to get the requisite ammount of points.

12. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

1. South Africa (Host)
    2. Japan
    3. Australia

Japan Make it with a 1-0 win away to Uzbekistan.

Australia qualify with a 0-0 away draw with Qatar.

First two qualifiers come from Asian Group A. Australia have played 6 games in this group without conceding a goal.

Netherlands can also qualify this round. Ands thanks to code 1390 for pointing out Sth Korea can also qualify and are currently leading with 5 to go. Its 4AM where I am now so I'm off to bed for the night.

13. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Australia with the away draw get their ticket to Sth Africa.

14. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

1. South Africa (Host)
    2. Japan
    3. Australia
    4. Korea Rep

15. LasBoston

LasBoston Member

Jun 21, 2008

Netherlands looks well on their way today, how long before Paraguay could clinch?

Is there any word of teams in Europe that haven't necessarily clinched, but clinched a spot in at least the next round? Could England/Spain/Denmark/Italy fall into that category?

16. Jwaksman

Jwaksman New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Paraguay is 10 points clear of qualification with 6 matches left to go. They cannot qualify today. It's mathematically possible for them to clinch qualification on their next match day (June 10th), but it's unlikely. Not only would they have to beat Brazil in Brazil (in addition to their match against Chile today), but they'd also need a bunch of help from other matches. Most likely they won't clinch until September, when they play again.

As for Europe, I assume you mean have any teams clinched second place in their group (although clinching second place does not by itself mean that a team will be in the next round, since one team gets left out). And the answer is that, no, no teams have clinched that. The reason that Netherlands has qualified so early (assuming that nothing crazy happens in the last 15 minutes of their match today) is because they are in the one group that only has 5 teams and, therefore, only plays 8 matches. The other groups have 6 teams, and play 10 matches. The closest team is Spain, which is 10 points clear of third place (Turkey) with 4 games to go. But nobody in that group plays again until September. Another team that is close (England) also cannot clinch one of the top two spots in their group until September. Somebody else can check my math, but I'm fairly certain that no European teams can clinch one of the top two spots in their group (other than Netherlands, of course) until September.

17. Erwin6174

Erwin6174 Member

Jun 13, 2008
    The Netherlands

1. South Africa (Host)
    2. Japan
    3. Australia
    4. Korea Rep
    5. The Netherlands

18. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Both Saudi Arabia and North Korea can't pass South Korea together. In order for either of them to pass S Korea, they'd have to win out the rest of their games. And because they meet each other, both of them cant at the same time. Therefore, the worst S Korea can do is second place, which is automatic WC qualification. So S Korea is in.

19. Fuera del Area

Jun 27, 2007
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Club:
    Club Deportivo FAS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A Colombia loss today and an Ecuador loss tomorrow would help Paraguay's cause a lot. That, and the Bolivia/Venezuela game ending in a draw.

20. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007

The reason Netherlands has already qualified is that all of the other opponents in their group are almost equal to eachother. Because of this, they divided the points. Spain and England are also unofficialy qualified, but the teams in their group are more divided in quality, so it will take a while before they are officially qualified.

21. Jwaksman

Jwaksman New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's also true for other groups. The reason that Netherlands qualified today while teams like England and Spain (teams also dominating groups full of a bunch of equal teams) is because their challengers only have 2 or 3 games remaining, as opposed to other groups where most teams have 4 or 5 games remaining. The Dutch are up by 11 points... if they still had 4 or 5 games to go they wouldn't have clinched yet.

22. DenzilTFF

DenzilTFF New Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Maybe, but:

Croatia & Turkey > Scotland
    Ukraine & Belgium > Norway
    Belarus & Bosnia > Macedonia

Holland's group is just as easy as Group 2.

23. Jwaksman

Jwaksman New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Holland's group is easier than group 2, I'd say. I think it's the third easiest, after groups 3 and 8 (I think group 8 is the easiest... not sure there's a lot of argument there - it's a total cake walk for Italy, which is why they've been able to get away with playing so poorly). I'd put Holland's group 3rd easiest, and then group 2 next.

So certainly being an easy group helps, and Holland playing really well helps. But a big factor is obviously the size of the group, too. Think about it... let's say it's an ordinary group where teams have played 6 of 10 games. Even if Holland takes all 18 points, they STILL would only clinch if the 2nd place team had 5 points in 6 games. That's almost impossible in a 6 team group.

24. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

It's in reality pretty easy:

Netherland is qualified and Spain and England are as good as qualified because their respective pot 2 teams Scotland, Turkey and Croatia (which was in reality the pot 1 team) all suck.

25. Jwaksman

Jwaksman New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right. All three teams are in the process of an easy qualification for those reasons. But I had simply been responding to why it is that Netherlands qualified today while the other two teams will have to wait for another game or two, and that has to do with the SIZE of the groups. If Spain or England had one of the teams in their groups booted so it was turned into a five-teamer... they'd have qualified today as well, most likely.