$1 Beer Untill Kickoff - Chicago

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by ScottyB10, Sep 11, 2007.

1. FCD-FAN

FCD-FAN Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Saginaw, Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's funny! I got two brats... :D

2. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hehe. And we've got one -- but I guess she's not a brat, since she even decided AGAINST the birthday party option when she found out she'd have to leave at minute 35 to do the birthday hoopla stuff. She did NOT want to miss part of the game . . .

BTW, as for these autograph sessions . . . are they really worth it? How much fun is it to stand in line with 149 other people to get 10 seconds with, in this case, Denilson? Or is it a "meet and greet" kind of thing? Sounds kind of crowded to me, so I don't care that -- as a season ticket holder -- I'm missing this. Should I?

Now, I can see your point with the beer deal -- has anyone asked their ticket reps about this or complained that the ST holders are NOT getting the deals, it would seem? Just curious. Isn't renewal time right around the corner?

P.S.. Here's a secret . . . after the DCU reserves game, my daughter collected 14 autographs on her FCD car flag, including ones from Goodson, Ricchetti, and Kenny C. (because they had come out to watch the reserves play), and even from Coach Morrow. :)

3. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm.... something to ponder

4. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I have.....good conversation with him, too. They have their reasons, I understand them, but that still doesn't help out the STH's in the end. It's a tough situation they are in.

And to be completely upfront, my decision not to renew is less about this stuff and more a personal decision completely unrelated to soccer. But I still think someone sitting in the cheap seats, that doesn't care exactly where they are located on gameday, should just go ahead and buy game by game. Take advantage of deals like this. The only nuisance is having to go to the ticket window before every game.

5. Lucky3

Lucky3 Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The annoying thing to me is that you don't even get the opportunity to decide if you do want to stand in line. My daughter is only missing a few autographs on her FCD jersey now and it's the ones you rarely see.....Ruiz, Denilson, Rico......plus I could have sworn part of being a STH was that you got "special opportunities" to "meet the players".

Thanks for the tip on the reserve games.

6. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well then, they should just have the aisle vendors sell the dollar beers in the stands that will be on camera, and try to keep everyone in their section. there might be riots of course, but still....

7. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm still waiting for the "special oportunities to meet players," which is why we made our own. :D

P.S. another secret: it also works with practices (afterwards). I took my daughter to several to watch this summer, and that's how she now knows Kenny C. well enough to just run up and hug him. Ah, to be eleven again! :)

BTW, for the September 30th game, they might be having practice on that Saturday before . . .

8. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see your point -- and I hope the Front Office people/whoever deals with the Season Ticket Holder "special deals" takes note. This is our first year as STH, and I still think we'll continue, but outside of free ticket vouchers for being at the "Beckham-less game," I haven't seen that many other benefits (outside of the fact that in section 104, you get a great view of the team warming up . . .).

9. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    $1 beer!!!! i take back anything negative i ever said about your front office. please repeat promo for Sept. 30th.

10. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Ok there are a lot of issues with this offer. For starters, $1 beer until kickoff is silly. Either do it the whole game, and provide smaller beers (which i assume they will do anyways?) or don't do it at all. This just makes them look cheap. Second, you never offer this as a ticket package, for the reasons so many season ticket holders have pointed out...you are under cutting your customer base yet again. Their is a lot of flawed logic in this plan, and my guess is certain circumstances came to light after the intial idea was kicked off. if thats the case, then move on to another one. I have to say, I am less than impressed with Hitchcock's ticket sales intiatives.

11. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    three words: personal beer tap. one at each seat. now that would fill any section, even if the taps were coin operated.;)

12. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coin operated beer taps on the east side? That might be the best idea ever!

13. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    You could tell who the drunks are by how much jingle jangle noise they make when they walk.

14. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This could possibly resurrect the fanny pack.
    [​IMG]

This dude is getting his drink on in the East side!

15. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    Beer Keggie Backpack
    [​IMG]
    Mobile Beer Garden Bicycle
    [​IMG]
    Beer Holster
    [​IMG]
    (Speedbump?)

16. Lucky3

Lucky3 Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes a couple of times but we are usually waiting in line at the pro shop for those players after the game. They cut that line off pretty quick, it's like waiting for the characters at Disney.....

17. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as Hutch says, go to training. As the players leave the field they are very opening to signing.

18. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a lot of time to go into a long back and forth about this here, but the short version is these are Special Ticket Promotions. They are designed to get people into the stadium. We're in the business of selling tickets - that is what we do.

But season ticket holders are NOT out in the cold. It is just that this specific promotion wasn't included in the deal.

There is nothing preventing a season ticket holder from contact their ticket rep, buying into any of these specific deals and then exchanging their regular tickets for another game. You still get the advantages of being a season ticket holder (same seats every game, no hassle of buying at the ticket window day of game, etc., etc.) and can still do the special promotions.

As a season ticket holder - esp. most of you here who I know personally - I can't imagine that you wouldn't be willing to or able to find someone to join you for a future game. So it isn't like you won't be able to use the tickets you paid for.

Again, the advantages of buying a season ticket - same seats for every FCD regular season game and events controlled by us in the package, plus pre-sales into those same seats (barring issues with the promoter) for special events; discount price the whole way, every game in the package; pre-sales into concerts; etc. That is what you get for buying season seats. So it isn't as if there is no benefit.

It just doesn't include the special sales - which you are more than welcome to take advantage of as well.

Quick note on the "buy game by game" v. "season ticket" - that is an individual discussion for you to have with your ticket rep as everyone is different. For some people, having the same seat every game or having a specific location is incredibly important. For others, not so much. For some people (like me when I originally bought my season tickets), the price and the fact that you don't have to hassle with getting in line every game was important. Again, for others, not so much.

For some people, getting a miniplan and then buying special promotions is the way to go. For others, the seat location is so important that they need to buy the full seasons. Still others like the idea of investing in a team all the way - hence the full season seats, whether there are other benefits or not. And for still others, just going game by game is the way to go.

It is just all very individualized. So talk with your rep and figure out what is right for you.

Some of you have pooh-poohed the concerts - we do have season ticket holders who that is very important to them as a part of their package. As in, they don't just buy them for the concert access. Maybe not applicable for y'all, but it is applicable to enough.

FWIW, here is the email I've been sending out:

For the game on September 20, we are doing a special $1 Beer Garden promotion. Simply buy Sideline East tickets at a significantly discounted price (minimum of four) and you will get a wristband for each ticket. From 5:30 to 7:00, beers in the wristbanded area will only be $1!

So come see FC Dallas and our newest player, Brazilian World Cup Champion Denilson as we take on the Chicago Fire and Blanco. And feel free to forward this onto other appropriate soccer fans. (Needless to say, this is a promotion for adults and you have to be of legal age to participate.)

Sideline East seats are normally $24, but through this offer, they are only $15! So not only do you save off of the game-day price, but you get into the Beer Garden where beer is JUST $1!

Season ticket holders - if you want to buy into this offer, feel free to save your season tickets for this game and I will gladly exchange them for another FC Dallas regular season game (as available).

Email me or call me immediately if you're interested in this promotion as we only have a limited number of tickets!

Sincerely,
    Kevin Lindstrom
    FC Dallas Account Executive
    214 705 6748

All the best. DB.

19. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but do STHs get to sit in the same seat everytime? I think that is the question everyone is asking here. We just want one simple answer!

:p

20. FCD-FAN

FCD-FAN Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Saginaw, Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my posting that wasn't intended to spur a long back and forth with anyone... it was just my opinion regarding the different promotions that are being done and the perceived value from my perspective.

I understand that you guys aren't the ones that think up these promotions, you just try to fill seats with what you've been given.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from attending games either... I will probably be at every home game next year, pre-season and hopefully post-season. I'll still do my best to bring groups of people like I did this year (I think I alone brought just as many if not more people than my old rec association did this season... don't they still have tickets left?). I'm just stating that the way the promotions are run, it seems that the casual day-of-game fan gets better deals than the die-hard that paid for his tickets in January.

If dollar beer night was just open to everyone, including walk-up traffic, then it would be interesting to see the turn-out. If family 4-pack nights could be extended to season ticket holders by selling a voucher for the difference in price, that would be nice. The point is, make the promotions for ALL fans, not just the new ones. It seems like whoever is marketing this stuff used to work for wireless phone companies, or satellite tv companies... do whatever free phone promotion or free HD receiver promotion you can to lure customers in, but once you have that one year or two year contract they get nothing in return and aren't eligible for promotions any more.

Yes, seat location is important for some. exchanging tickets for games is important for others. But getting 4 tickets plus food and drinks in the cheap seats and then sitting anywhere on the east side midfield section is good value for families (since everyone knows all FCD FO markets to is gullible soccer parents! :p )

I'm not trying to argue with you, Kevin, or with Matthew or anyone else. I know you guys have a tough job when these promotions come up. You have your canned responses ready to explain the value-add you get from being a season ticket holder, and I know you hate hearing it from people like me every time there is a new promotion... but the die-hard fans are going to be here either way, they'll be happier if they are included on the promotions once in a while, and to do that, don't just give it to the new fans... just make it open for everyone on that night.

21. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I'm confused. Who is telling you that you can't buy into these promotions like everyone else? What are the new fans being given that you're not? Of course, you're not being let in for free because that would defeat the purpose of the promotion - to drive sales.

Consider the thousands of season ticket holders we have - if we offered them free access into these promotions that are set up to drive new sales, there is no way we'd make money on the deal.

By buying season tickets, you get certain benefits (as described above) that other people don't get. That is what you get for being a season ticket holder.

These promotions are separate deals that everyone can buy into. And as I've described above, you can buy into these promotions without losing the benefits of the tickets you've already purchased.

It isn't as if the new sales are getting this stuff for free or anything.

22. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just think it is bullshit that you are trying reach out to new fans! Why can't FCD just be happy with 15,000 people at PHP? :p

FWIW, I still think the soup kitchen for the homeless on the east side would be an instant success.

23. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    The problem is, Drum'R, that when you make it more of an incentive to buy special deals than become season ticket holders, you lose season ticket holders. Which is what I am thinking of doing next year.

Short term sales might be the way to go. But to me, it would make more sense for you to put a rider on every single promotion that trumpets how season ticket holders "get even more".

The bottom line is that the easiest thing to do every year is to renew season tickets. Do you guys want season ticket holders actually thinking of not signing a renewal, or do you want them to just sign out of habit?

You are giving a very rational answer. But if you want to build the season ticket holders base, it is short term.

I am curious. Why doesn't FCD open up a tent at least two hours before everygame that sells "cheaper" beer and cabrito before every game? Just a simple deal like the tents they have at the Greek festival. Thursday is an example where we might be out there early and something like that could be extra cash for the team.

24. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin

Will they serve cabrito?

25. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Kevin's response covered all agrievments unless you never bring someone else to the games. Like the deal this week? Table your season tickets for a later game when you are bringing a friend/spouse/kid. Don't have any friends/spouse/kids? OK you have a legitamite gripe.