1/6, Friendly, Adu: Monaco vs. Juventus 18:00 CET {R}

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Bolo, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    1-1
    Monaco win 5-4 on penalties if anyone cares!

2. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Highlights by any chance?

3. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    They barely beat a 5th division club but Freddy creates the magic that (basically) allows them to win the game on penalties against world-class talent. I don't care if it's a friendly, Freddy showed CLASS.

4. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    I am sick of Ricardo as a coach, De Bontin should force him to play Adu.

5. mattygp

mattygp New Member

May 6, 2006
    I'm looking. I will post here if I can find them.

6. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Freddy. Hopefully Ricardo may see some use for him after seeing him in action for more than 5 minutes at a time.

7. ragin bear

ragin bear New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you are right, but I think that Ricardo is the kind of D-Bag that is stuck in his ways and just doesn't like Freddy for one reason or another.

8. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    i'd love freddy to go to holland. i think these trials may be good for him, overall, as a player. to say the least, he is humbled.

he has to work w/100% effort, and nothing is being given to him. he's (still) a young player that is developing, and in the long run, these tribulations can only serve to toughen him up, and will hopefully help him understand what it takes to become an impact player in euro football.

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    does not work that way, unfortunately

10. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Highlights

Adu's drawn pk at 00:53

11. blue32828

blue32828 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    orlando
    [​IMG]

12. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    [youtube]NC48S7kWH0c[/youtube]

Get em while they're hot.

13. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    I liked the hesitation move at the beginning most of all. Totally dogged the guy. What's also great- Freddy anticipated (twice in that run) exactly where the defender was going to stick his leg and commit. He may be in a rut at the moment, but there is years of successful learning in his head, and its all instinctual if he's lets it flow. Freddy's always been a big game/big performance player....for years against players older, stronger- usually significantly so. Once he gets his sea legs in Europe (may take another year or two), he should be fine. He's got amazing 1v1 and tight space talent. He won't forgot how to score either- no matter how bad this year goes.

14. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beautiful little move there by Freddy. Great to see him up to some of his old tricks. (Did I just say that about a 19 year old?) It must've done a world of good for his confidence, both for getting 68 minutes against Juventus (albeit in a friendly), and for drawing a PK.

Hopefully just the start of bigger and better things in 2009 for Freddy.

15. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah.

i'm not gonna provide some knee-jerk analysis or make some crazy definitive statement. but i will say this: a kid that can do that to two juventus defenders HAS to have a place on some first team, SOMEWHERE in europe. ANYWHERE. i don't care if its belarus. he's got to have the stuff to be a consistent first team player. i can't believe that there are that many better-suited attackers on the continent -- that adu doesn't deserve to get a game anywhere.

again, note that i'm not saying that Arsene Wenger should be getting him on the phone tomorrow, i'm just saying that Adu has got to be good enough to get a game somewhere. i don't care where it is. if he tears it up in Russia, he'll get a big contract ffs.

EDIT: actually he did that to THREE juve defenders. don't know if they were first teamers or not. but i did see del piero and nedved on the same reel, so the side wasn't too shabby.

16. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    The first half was Juventus' first choice lineup, with only one exception - that being 19 year old defender Lorenzo Ariaudo for Giorgio Chiellini.

17. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here we are again with the enigma that is Freddy's career (and, funny, no SFS here to tells us all off). Freddy once again performs in a way that is rare, showing real talent. Yet he can't crack the line up of a pretty crappy team. This kid played Pato into the ground at the world championships.

What gives?

18. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Perhaps Freddy impressed enough for Juve to bring him in for a trial this summer. Maybe there was some Serie B scouts at the match.

19. novastar400

novastar400 New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have to agree that I think he should be able to get time some where... Freddy is too good of a player to be wasting his talent like this... I noticed that Monaco was kicking it towards the corners, sort of into space when they had the ball... Their style of play is not for Freddy, that's just the bottom line... He needs to be somewhere where the team actually likes to combine and play the ball on the ground... I really don't see 5'8 Freddy winning too many balls in the air... I honestly would've loved for him to end up in la liga... I know they can be racist(not all) at times, but it would do wonders for his development... I'm wondering if Sissoko would've broken up the play had Freddy not been tripped up or if he would've gotten by him too... Good job none the less...

20. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Was that an epically large elastico too?

21. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed.

For a while I was thinking that it must be a combination of these 3 things:

1) Freddy is a total prick in practice
    2) His defensive liabilities make him "unplayable" by the coaches he has played for
    3) His advisors/handlers/agents suck

But I don't know....there really aren't many players around that are as dangerous as he is with the ball at his feet. The EPL taught Dempsey how to play defensive...I gotta believe with all this offensive talent, Freddy is teachable as well.

22. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Did anybody watch the full 67 minutes he played? How was he defensively? Aside from the drawn penalty how did he do the rest of the game?

23. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    He played well for the entire 67 minus, had a few great passes, 2 very, very nice through balls (one wrongly called offsides) and was pretty much on game until his last touch in the game.

Defensively, um.... he played defense like of of the two people up top ;)

I mean he ran side to side to cut off angles, pressured the fullbacks to pass ect..ect..ect.. nothing special.

24. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    thanks! After Ricardos comments and Adus play in this game, im starting to find some hope for him at Monaco.

25. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    what Ricardo comments? link?