1/28/05 RSL News Round-up

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by jfranz, Jan 28, 2005.

1. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez,

How many former US Youth Nats on that roster? How many of these guys has Ellinger coached?

Nelson Akwari DF 6-0 180 Houston, Tex. Columbus (MLS)
    Nikolas Besagno MF 6-0 175 Maple Valley, Wash. U.S. U-17
    D.J. Countess GK 6-1 185 Fair Oaks, Calif. Chicago (MLS)
    Kenny Cutler MF 5-9 140 Richmond, Va. U.S. U-20
    Brian Dunseth DF 6-1 180 Upland, Calif. Bodens (Sweden)
    Sergio Flores FW 5-11 168 Smithfield, UT U.S. U-20
    Rusty Pierce DF 5-10 165 Woodlands, Tex. New England (MLS)
    Jamie Watson FW 5-9 150 Dallas, Tex. Univ. of No. Carolina

2. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
  3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cutler and Jackson are only on trial though, nothing set in stone there.

However, that youth list could include Damarcus Beasley and Landon Donovan so I don't know if thats a bad thing.

4. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    So Cutler and Jackson, former youth players get an unexpected shot again. Cutler was bypassed a year ago in the draft (not sure he kept playing). Jackson had a failed trial with Colorado (2003 i think) and has been playing 3rd division ball (in 2003 i know, not sure about 2004).

5. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If any of you remember Leighton O'Brien from Seattle Sounders, he's a solid player. One of the best central midifields to ever play in the A-League I thought was O'Brien, Geiger, and Ferrell. He was playing on the same team as Brian Dunseth in Sweden for the past two years and did really well there. A very good holding mid/a-mid. Good to see him back.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said this on another thread, but I was surprised by both articles that mentioned that RSL is predicting Brian Kamler as the starting d-mid for them. After all our discussions on getting a new d-mid because RSL didn't have a good one, I am nervous about starting Kamler in that position.

Can he do it? Do it well?

7. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I would be less nervous about Kamler than about Brian Dunseth on the back line.

D-mid might suit Kamler better at this stage of his career since his speed on the flanks for the Revs disappeared as he got older.

MLS non-starters from that list from last year include Kreis, Kamler, Brenes, Behncke, Countess. (Was Whitfield a regular starter? I can't remember)

Unknown is Rojas. Pierce was out injured or playing with injury most of last year. Mathis and Williams are talented head cases. And Dunseth might not be in the league right now if it weren't for Ellinger.

I hope Luis Marin pans out for you guys, because you need at least one physical defender in the middle. Between Kamler, Behncke and Dunseth, you haven't got one.

8. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600107934,00.html

At least the Deseret News has one person that doesn't have his head up his butt, unlike that Robinson guy that wrote a one sided article the other day.

Well, he did mispell Galaxy (Galaxie) but at least he looked at the issue from an educated view

9. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    LD and Beez are coming to RSL?!???? Sweet!!!

:D :D

10. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Kamler strikes me as a bit of a swiss army knife a player. He can probably do it. It just depends on exactly what role constitutes "dm" and exactly how well he can pull it off. IF it's a role a bit like Armas' then I'd say he won't be a natural, that's for sure. :)

11. bordelais7

bordelais7 Member

May 13, 2003
    Centreville, VA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Very true. I think that it was great how we all let Robinson know how we felt about his article, but I think it's also beneficial to let journalists who write articles like this know that they're appreciated.

12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    my theory about Kamler as a d-mid type player in MLS is:
    if Olsen can do it, Kamler should be able to as well.

13. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Rock,

I would like to thank you for your article titled 'Build a stadium, gain MLS following'. I am a fan of MLS and a RSL season ticket holder. There have been a couple of recent articles regarding MLS, RSL and the quest for a SSS in Salt Lake that have been obviously biased against soccer in the US and seriously lacking both factual and objective views. I found your article both objective and informative. I really appreciate this kind of open-minded reporting and look forward to reading more of your work in the future.

Bravo!

Sincerely,

(signed)

14. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nice letter jasoncox, I'll be emailing the author today as well to express my appreciation.

15. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Hey, one thing though from the article is that he says LA is the only team to have made a profit.

Hasn't Columbus made money? I would think that with their SSS they would have turned a profit by now.

16. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/ci_2539281

The guy that wrote this little "letter to the editor" obviously has no clue as to the history of MLS.

He quotes MLS' average attendance in 1996 as 18,567 when it was actually 17,406. He also obviously has no idea as to why MLS shut down Tampa and Miami. Nor does he understand how impossible it is for a MLS team to make money in a stadium that someone else controls.

Mr Bill Shadrach, Public Enemy #1.

17. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    From what we've heard, Columbus has been profitable except that they still lose money after paying their share of league debts (sharing in what other teams are losing). LA is still profitable after sharing in the Metrostars & others debt.