1/22/09 - donovan:fsv mainz vs bayern

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by luvdagame, Jan 22, 2009.

1. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Mainz' defense never woke up in this game, from the opening whistle. The fact that they're co-leaders with kaiserslautern blows me away. They look totally different. Unless this was just a very bad game for Mainz.

2. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    Hey people when is the next game!!!

3. tsaldana3

tsaldana3 Member

Apr 26, 2008
    TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tuesday---DFB Cup Round of 16 v VfB Stuttgart (A) (kick-off 1.30 pm CST)

Friday 30 January: Bundesliga v Hamburger SV (A) (kick-off 1.30 pm CST)

4. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    such as?

I can think of Cooper and Shalrie Joseph, both of whom got offered huge raises afterwards.

And I've heard the 'let my people go' arguments over all kinds of players...all of whom (except the two above) got their transfer wish and except for Eddie Johnson at a price that later vindicated MLS hesitation in selling

5. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cue Bruce S with another lame "I want your house" comment. Maybe he'll surprise us and come up with an original one though;)

6. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Podolski has had 16 appearances as the third striker for BM this season, and I believe BM is still alive in three competitions. He'll get his shot.

7. tsaldana3

tsaldana3 Member

Apr 26, 2008
    TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one question... is donovan eligible for tuesday's DFB cup game?

8. ProfZim1

ProfZim1 New Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Hayward, CA
    Damn, Lando, save some goals for Mexico!

9. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am returning Grad student after 10+ years in the real world, so the stakes are a bit higher for me now.

But apparently I should have skipped. Nice work from LD

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    To be fair, I don't think he'd be that open in the 1st goal, and Sanchez/Memo won't suck as much as the Mainz goalie...well maybe sanchez.

11. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may or may not have gotten that open, but no keeper in the world is getting to that shot.

EDIT: It now occurs to me that you may have been referring to the second goal with the goalie comment. If so then I agree.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    On the 2nd goal?

13. DLee

DLee Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Chicago
    How many total minutes has LD played in the 4 matches?

14. herewego

herewego Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Technically you`re right, but practically they, Bayern, MLS and Donovan, could on the same day prolong the loan deal until june 30th, and sign a second deal, about the transfer on the 1st of july.

15. tsaldana3

tsaldana3 Member

Apr 26, 2008
    TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About 236 minutes in 5 games.

16. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the one I'm thinking of. It was a very good goal.

17. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the DFB Cup the German version of the Open Cup or FA Cup?

If so, real competition is starting up. It's (L)D-Day time...

Plus, with 2 games in 4 days, expect LD to see plenty of time..

18. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    Yes, DFB is their FA Cup, it's the 2nd most important trophy in Germany after the Bundesliga (duh).

I really have to think he's going to get a big chance in that game, especially with all this momentum going in.

I'm excited. Boy would it be amazing to have a sizzling hot LD come back for Mexico and just ball out of control and go back and hammer out a deal with MLS.

I don't think MLS can stand in the way, but given the Gals relative inactivity in finding anything that even resembles a replacement, who knows.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The Galaxy will also find it virtually impossible to replace him. I'm an official card-carrying Eurosnob and feel all of our players should be seeking to play at the highest levels in Europe. However, MLS doesn't just have to sell somebody because they want to go. And the size of the transfer fee isn't really an issue. Garber has repeatedly said they're not interested in selling players for profit.

Of course, I wrote a long dissertation in another thread about how selling Donovan could be good for the Gals. They need a lot of help in a lot of areas. They can free up a lot of salary cap space by getting rid of LD. However, it'll be extremely difficult to replace him.

20. yankeexpride

yankeexpride New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Virginia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    judging from the videos it looks as if Bayern Munich never looked stoked to have scored a goal. At first I thought it was just because the new kid (donovan) scored, but after watching some of the other bayern munich highlight videos, I have come to the conclusion they don't get very excited. maybe they're just unimaginative? or because they're just friendlies?

21. humin12

humin12 Member+

Sep 20, 2008
    Ferguson, Missouri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, we have a lethargic style of play but hopefully its only because of the transition period between Hitzfeld and Klinsmann. But come to think of it, I can't remember the last time we played football that was really beautiful to watch.

22. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they're friendlies - unwritten (or maybe written?) rule that no celebrating goals in friendlies.

23. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Damn, if LD keeping scoring goals at this rate for the next few months, there's going to be a huge fee for LA/MLS from Man City. 20M Euros anyone?

24. Yougottawanna

Yougottawanna Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, what does it mean to score a goal "in the upper 90"? I've seen the phrase a few times and don't know what it means.

25. Pull One Back

Pull One Back Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    upper 90 = upper corner of the goal .... where post and crossbar make a 90 degree angle