1/19/09 Robles, Donovan: Kaiserslautern v Bayern (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Zak1FCK, Jan 17, 2009.

1. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Actually, it might be great to have him fresh for the next WC. So many of the Euro players are worn down even going into the WC each time and it shows (one reason we were able to beat Portugal in 2002)

2. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey

fyp.

3. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Yes, you aren't Bob, and it seems apparent to me he has favored European-based players who play sporadically to MLS based players who play regularly: Beasley, Dempsey (prior to the past month or two), Bocanegra (prior to this season), Feilhaber, Altidore, Adu, Pearce, as well as the myriad Euro journeymen like Hill.

4. enkayFCB

enkayFCB New Member

Jan 20, 2009
    München
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm a real Bayern fan for more then 15 years now and i.m.o LD did a great job yesterday. If I compare him to LP, I'd say he's even better than him and I'd also say, that it takes him only a couple of games more to compete with MK. But that's only my opinion

As you already mentioned, there are many people in the forum of Bayern who dislike LD because of the fact that he is an American (Germans associate with Americans sports such as Basketball, Football and Baseball, but not soccer - that's why they think LD has no skills at all) But if you read the thread in the forum of Bayern about LD, one can see that there is an evolution of what the germans think about LD. There are some people who like him more and more and who go nuts if he scores, but there are still some ignorant people left.
    Hopefully he can prove them wrong..

Some of you also mentioned the fact, that the deal with LD is already safe, and he will stay here longer then March. There is no doubt that he will be only third forward behind LT and MK, but if he uses his chances efficient, he really can become 2nd, because MK sometimes has really week periods.. He just has to improve his skills from day to day and do constantly good performances.
    It's only a matter of time that "Klinsi's darling" (the press in Munich gave him that nick) developes to a really good forward who can compete with any other top European forward.

greetings from Munich

5. wva97

wva97 Member

Jun 8, 2002
    east coast/west coas
    Fair point. I think he can only get better at BMunich, and you're probably correct in surmising that he will be responsible enough to stay in shape regardless of his minutes.

To the poster, who mentioned Bradley prefers Euro-based players at the moment, I would argue that a lot of that is born out of necessity. If Bradley doesn't bring those guys into camp and whip them into shape in 15 days, they'll never get in shape because many are wasting away on their respective teams' benches.

6. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for your input. I hope you keep coming back here.

I read a German forum (through babbelfish translation) - and a lot of the fans are coming around and really like what they see from Landon. They love his attitude and what he brings on the field - that he's a different type of player than they've ever had. A few are even wanting to buy his jersey. :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that FCB buy him outright. It will only make him better and more confident. I am convinced of his abilities and Bayern Munich would be perfect for him.

7. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    But has anyone told them he's really a midfielder?

(ducks)

8. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question for you and anyone else who may have a good understanding of Klinsman's coaching history and tendencies, both currently as well as previously with the National Team;

How often, if ever, has he fielded three strikers (e.g., 4-3-3, 3-4-3, 3-4-1-2, etc.)?

9. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was reading on another website that after the game, Donovan and Robles exchanged jerseys with each other. That's cool.

10. humin12

humin12 Member+

Sep 20, 2008
    Ferguson, Missouri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann is very German in that he loves his 4-4-2 so to answer your question: rarely.

11. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    well, if he was really, really german, he'd go 3-5-2. Put Ribery and Lando on the wings and let them fly.

Also, I will withhold all judgment until the friendlies are over and Landon takes a pounding against Hamburg or Dortmund or the Bayer04's.

12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    the "wings" in a 3-5-2 are mostly defending positions, so you better rethink that.

13. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That'd leave no place for Lahm and would badly misuse Landon. So really, that be the not really, really German thing to do.

14. Dogmatagram

Dogmatagram Member

Jun 3, 2006
    True enough, but if he was frustrated previously watching guys like EJ and Wolff botch his feeds just wait for summer 2009.

15. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I'm trying to think if there's an American analog to this -- a foreign player whose fundamental ability has been questioned when he enters a U.S. sports league. Maybe to some extent with the eastern Europeans who first made their way into the NBA during the '90s? Maybe?

But it's hard to imagine it on such a blunt scale. If an Englishman got signed to the Cavaliers, would Clevelanders be immediately up in arms because they associate the English with soccer and rugby, not basketball?

16. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    This is fantastic! Donovan really is breaking new ground here. He can be the first American player to play a role on one of the top teams in the world in one of the top leagues in the world. True, Reyna had a good run with Rangers, and Beasley with PSV, but they both play in second-rate leagues. What Donovan is doing really is unprecedented, and he has the chance to show that he truly is a world-class player. :)

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP. Can't forget we did have a Yank play an import role on, a top team, in a top league :D ;)

18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP. Can't forget we did have a Yank play an import role on, a top team, in a top league:D ;)

P.S. Beasley, may have played in a "second-rate league" as you put it, but he is the first Yank to play in a Champions League semi-final, only missing the finals due to the away goals rule against AC Milan. I think he score 4 goals in 12 CL games that campaign. No Yank has do that!

19. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No. enkayFCB is making a very general statement that does not apply to anyone I know of. In other words - I disagree with his whole theory.

20. Swami

Swami Member

Mar 5, 2005
    Yes, that's crazy. Bayern challenge for three titles seriously every season. That's about 50 games against good competition. You play about 30 in MLS. Landon misses games every MLS season due to various commitments and/or injuries every season anyway so he really plays about 24-25 games per MLS season.

As a third striker, with injuries, cards, fatigue and form issues, he'll get starts in addition to signficant sub minutes. Given the abbreviated MLS season, the minutes won't be miles apart. The difference, obviously, is that the quality of games and play are miles apart. His play at Bayern won't make much difference in qualifiers, which we should be able to deal with relatively easily in CONCACAF by now anyway, but it will give him plenty of time in the right environment to give us a chance in 2010. Improving our odds in 2010 is what it's all about...from a USMNT perspective. The weakness of CONCACAF gives us some latitude in qualifying.

21. Swami

Swami Member

Mar 5, 2005
    No, but some segment of Clevelanders might. There are always some provincial, goofy perspectives within any group.

22. Swami

Swami Member

Mar 5, 2005
    Don't forget that Jovan Kirovski has a Champions League medal with Dortmund and got into the Final as a sub, I believe.

23. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Jovan Kirvoski is just another one of Dortmund's failures and no...he didn't even ride the bench on the final. He did score a CL goal for BvB but that was it. Other than his single goal while at Dortmund - Total Disappointment.