1/19/09 Robles, Donovan: Kaiserslautern v Bayern (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Zak1FCK, Jan 17, 2009.

1. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The finish was nice, but I really liked the confidence Donovan showed when he made his run. First he drifted back from the defender, creating space, then, anticipating the cross, he showcased his patented Donovan burst of acceleration to get near-post of his defender and stick that header in the corner.

It's silly to suddenly call for Donovan to replace the top two strikers at FCB, but I think these friendlies have shown that he belongs and can contribute. At least as a second-half sub where he can create goals like this against tiring defenders.

It's gonna hurt for my Galaxy to lose him....

2. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    He did have a few misses today but his goalscoring record speaks for itself. I'll be happy if Landon gets 20-30 minutes off the bench like he did today. He had a very good game and if he continues to build on that in real games maybe we can start talking about a permanent move and more playing time.

3. JD75

JD75 Member

Oct 7, 2006
    You're right. People can say whatever they want in their forum. But, I feel I have a right to tell people if they are wrong. Maybe not in their own forum, though...you may have a point. If he comes to the Bayern forum saying that crap it'll be on like Donkey Kong.

4. USAin2006

USAin2006 Member

Sep 7, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, can I tell everyone how pissed I get reading the LD threads in the Bayern BS forum. These Euro-snob Americans - you know who I'm talking about...people who come from places like Illinois and Maryland, who think they're-too-cool-for-school and thumb their noses at the USMNT and MLS - they give me the sh!ts something fierce. You read these threads and it's almost as if they want to see LD fail....i say fcuk 'em!

Sorry for the rant...

5. JohnMercy22

JohnMercy22 New Member

Sep 12, 2008
  6. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    I know that type. They are the kind of people who root for the Patriots and Spurs. And then they have the gall to claim a connection to each city.

7. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're a Bayern fan, but not a Yank Abroad fan, then you might be happier just staying in the Bayern Munich forum. They have a great deal of fun making fun of the YA forum and Landon, as well.

Not that I find you annoying in the least - you're more than welcome to stay here - but you might be happier staying away, if posts such as the one you quoted bother you. We're all just pretty happy that an American is doing well with such a great team as Bayern Munich and so we might get carried away sometimes.

As far as LD playing well in friendlies and its significance: it's significant to LD and to Klinsi, because it's going to factor into whether FCB fork out the money to buy him. Klinsi wants him and he wants him to impress Uli and his cohorts :) He's off to a good start in the friendlies and we're hoping it carries into his Bundesliga play.

8. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    lol

I make it a point to stay away from those threads (for the reasons you state), but I just checked them out and you are 100% right.

9. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Soccer elites on other forums be damned, I think Donovan is more than good enough to start for Bayern Munich.

The club would be wise to wrap up a deal with MLS before the Premiership and Spanish clubs get involved and jack up the price.

All it will take is for Donovan to score a few goals in games that matter for teams all over the continent to take his return to Europe seriously. When that happens, the checkbooks will open.

10. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    nothing funnier than self hating soccer fans. i don't think we will have much to worry about. donovan has been extremely consistent the past 18 months, and i don't think he's going to let up now. it's amazing to see him surrounded by talent and watch him shine, and witnessing the haters have to backpedal/make excuses.

of course, he must continue into next month when the games actually matter.

i can't wait until he gets purchased by some team so i can get the shirt

11. USAin2006

USAin2006 Member

Sep 7, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that they weren't running a game-day thread of their own over there (some fans, huh), so they had to ride our coattails over here.

12. wyastarr

wyastarr New Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Takoma Park, MD
    I've never understood the Landon animosity on these boards. He works hard, he seems like a fine person. He's fast, skilled with the ball, excellent scorer, well-above-average passer. It doesn't take a genius to see he's the single best American player right now--and arguably ever. He should do well on a top team in any league, that's what I'd expect/hope from the best US player.

13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Really, the only knock against Donovan that ever made much sense to me is that he at times lacked faith in his abilities.

I believe playing with Beckham has convinced him that he's plenty good enough to make an impact with a big, European club.

14. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In looking at the replay of the goal, I noticed Altintop congratulating Donovan by hugging him around the head and then rubbing the top of it...just like Beckham used to do. :)

Also nice to see Klinsi and the guy next to him (Uli?) smiling. I haven't noticed them smiling on any of the other goals that have been scored so far in these friendlies.

15. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yo WTF, why you throwing me under the bus? At leat in MD we show up to support our MLS team

16. USAin2006

USAin2006 Member

Sep 7, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HA - touche! When Red Bull Arena opens up (BTW, will that ever happen?)...things should change (knock on wood).

17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It didn't help when his Dad was posting here about how much MLS sucked, how badass his Leverkusen contract was and how Conor Casey was keeping Landon on the bench in the Olympics.

He sort of disappeared after the original Leverkusen problems

18. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The animosity stemmed from the fact he was reluctant to try his luck in Europe and that he was maybe too comfortable in own surroundings; that he needed to get out of his comfort zone. Lord knows I was guilty of being a little harsh, a little unfair. But I have never and will never knock his talent or effort on the pitch. I just knocked personal choices about not wanting to give Europe a shot again. But looking back now and actually hearing him speak out it I understand way he was reluctant to do so. He's matured and he's made a hard thought decision. All I want everyone to do is just sit back and let his play and talent do the speaking. It's going to fun to see him, let alone any Yank, suit up for a big club like Munich. He's deserved it and he won't take this chance for granted.

20. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    While he's twice the player Becks is right now, Beckham is about half the player he used to be under Sir Alex

21. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of right now, Donovan shares headlines with Toni on kicker.de.

22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's not really an important match. It's more like a training session. You shouldn't question their support based on threads.

Nice goal, though.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm hoping Landon does really well, but there's no way he starts in place of either Toni or Klose. Toni was the top scorer in the Bundesliga last season. In all competitions he had 39 goals and 12 assists in 46 matches. This season he's scored 9 goals in 13 league games. I don't care how he looks in meaningless friendlies. In games that count he's been awesome.

If Landon stays with BM, still a major question mark due to the transfer fee, he'll be a super sub. Or the first guy they go to in case of injury. And for now.........that's awfully good. Once there he'll need to prove he can score in matches that count. And if he does, I'm sure he'll get chances with the starters.

I'm sort of in the middle of this debate: a realist. Landon's not as bad as the Eurotrash insist, and not as good as the pro-US crowd thinks he is. In other words, he's good enough for Bayern Munich. But he's not good enough (right now) to supplant Toni and Klose.

The truth is we'll have no idea if Landon can play for Bayern in important matches..........until we see him do it. Until that time it's all a debate with no possible ways of knowing the answer.

24. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    As good as the goal was, I was actually more impressed with the left footed cross that was absolutely perfect for that situation. Given Landon does not have/did not have strong left foot- it was an impressive effort...something you would expect from a top class player in a European league- something learned by practice + concentration. Toni should have gotten over the ball much better (by going more parellel with the ground and getting his foot on the top half of the ball, but he was either too inflexible or didn't expect Landon to get the ball there). Could have been 3-0 there.

It really was a difficult ball to execute (way out on touchline, actually faced away from goal at an angle, and he had to place it between goalie + defender on other side of penalty box with the right pace). Also, to spot Toni from that situation, and realize where the ball needed to go- it was exactly the type of thing you see in Serie A from a Del Piero, etc.

Landon certainly helped himself today with the whole 'I'm your 3rd striker' routine. It was priceless, too, to see Klinsmann look at Hoeness right after Landon's goal, say something with a smile and both of them laugh. Clearly it was a Klinsmann 'you see Dieter how I am right about Donovan' moment of which Hoeness could only laugh and agree (since it was a good goal)

25. Karl Lagodzki

Karl Lagodzki Member

Jan 26, 2000
    Bloomington, IN
    Gem! You are in form! :)