09/16/03 Champions League Matchday 1: Sparta Prague v. Chelsea [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Lowecifer, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    09.16.03 :: Champions League Matchday 1 :: Sparta Prague v. Chelsea

[​IMG] vs. [​IMG]

2:45 EST

Chelsea need to get off to a good start in Prague... it should be an interesting match. Ranieri, typically, is playing down our chances.

Anyone know if there will be a free broadcast (like the quailifyer on BBC)?

2. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I think it will be very, Very interesting to see who he picks up the front for this one.

On the one hand we have the combination of Mutu/Hasselbaink that is knocking in the goals with regularity so far-many coaches adhere to the time honoured principle of never breaking up a working partnership, no matter who is siting on the bench.

As we all know however, Ranieri most certainly isn't a chip off that ol block.

So, we have an expensive striker (LOL, like we have only one...ha, ha, ha-that just struck me for the irony) that is back from S America, with a darling of a reputation, having only played 15 or so mins for the club.

What to do??????

I think Crespo will play.
    I would like to see Mutu and Hasselbaink get 75 mins together though.

3. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    4-5-1

Methinks CR will go 4-5-1 with Crespo as the one and Veron back in the team. Sensible Italian approach to an away game, the first CL game. Nothing to fancy, go for the win, but whatever you do, DO NOT LOSE.

I reckon:

Carlo Cudicini,
    Marcel Desailly, William Gallas, John Terry, Wayne Bridge,
    Damien Duff, Claude Makelele, Juan Sebastian Veron, Frank Lampard, Geremi/Gronks,
    Hernan Crespo,

4. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
  6. themightypuck

themightypuck New Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    There is always going to be discontent with a squad of superstars this big. The question is who can thrive in a stacked squad and who cannot. If you want to play for the big boys you need to get used to this sort of thing. I think Duff should play 90 and so does Duff but Ranners is the gaffer so there ya go. I figure Cole is gonna get pretty ticked if he can't break into the side pretty soon and Gudjohnsen is just fecked as I see it. Lampard is also at risk of losing his starting spot as is Jimmy. And where do you play Gallas? At RB? Next to Terry and let Desailly rest up? I would love to see a 4-4-2 Johnson Terry Gallas Bridge across the back, Geremi, Cole, Makalele and Duff in the middle, and Crespo up top with Mutu a lick behind him. Don't think we'll see it though.

7. themightypuck

themightypuck New Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    Another great lineup would be
    Gallas Desailly Terry
    Petit Makalele
    Geremi(wide) Veron(free) Duff(wide)
    Mutu
    Crepso

Of course here the danger is turning Duff into a defender but I like the possibilites of Duff linking up with Mutu and Veron linking up with Crespo for some attacking magic. With Duff pushing forward and Veron in a free role there is a definite invitation to counter up the right side especially if maka is covering for the roaming Veron. Plus Terry's lack of pace just adds to the invitation. But sometimes you just gotta go for it ;) Plus you could cheat Maka to the left and Petit to the Middle and Geremi could play back a bit to make sure you don't waste the Duffer. Plus the invitation is a bit of a dangerous one. A wee mistake and it's Maka to Duff to Mutu magic.

8. qazwsx

qazwsx New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Australia
    Smaller teams like Sparta Prague tend to play on the break, so I dont think its wise to tempt them by playing only the 3 at the back. I agree that they should play a 4-5-1 and give Mutu a rest because hes been playing quite a bit recently and didnt get a rest after the international weekend unlike Veron and Crespo. It will be nice to see Veron line up in what you could call his swansong the champions league.

-------------------Cudicini--------------------

Johnsen------Terry--------Gallas---------Bridge

-------------Lampard-----Makelele-------------
    Gronkjaer------------Veron----------------Duff

---------------------Crespo-------------------

As long as Duff and Gronkjaer get down the flanks and stretch Sparta Prague's defence then the through balls of Veron should secure a victory for Chelsea.

9. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It is on ITV2 in the UK, this is a digital TV station, you need terestrial digital, cable or satalite.

Also highlights on Chelsea TV from 23:00

10. Joel Goodson

Joel Goodson Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't this the perfect match to give Joe Cole a start?

11. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update Doc.

Also, if you're in France, I know there is TV coverage as well, but not sure of the station.

12. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    I don't think the Joe Cole quote is really his fault. I think that was a plant by Trevor Birch, who now is off my Christmas list.

Damien Duff, though, needs to get a grip. This ain't Blackburn no more, mate. Deal with it. If I were Ranieri, Duff would be watching from the stands tonight.

But, I expect more, not less of this type of behaviour this season as Ranieri separates the keepers from the transferable.

Compare the quotes from Makelele and Petit to the Duff and Cole items. Makelele says he's willing to play wide right or in front of the defense, anywhere to help the team. Petit says the team has the quality to compete. Duff bitches that 70 minutes isn't enough and Birch drags Cole into a useless controversy. That's part of the difference between experience and inexperience.

BTW: Ranieri has pretty much said he's going with mostly new players tonight. I expect Sparta has a half decent chance to beat us, but the side must develop somehow.

Prediction: Sparta 2 Chelsea 1, but I think it will be a good defeat as the new players will get a game together and some players will learn more about Mr. Ranieri.

I hope I'm wrong about the result.

13. themightypuck

themightypuck New Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I think the stuff about Duff is just crap. Any great player doesn't like to get subbed. As Duff said, you have to deal with it. He's doing fine.

Sucks no TV here in USA.

Hopefully Big Blue won't suck ass like it did for Spurs.

I think the 4-5-1 makes sense qazwsx with either petit or lampard playing alongside maka. Might see Gallas on the right and Dessa in the middle with Johnson on the bench. Geremi could start on the right instead of Gronks. Hard to keep Mutu out but word is he is a bit banged up.

Should be fun.

GO BLUES!!!

14. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    I would not read too much into Duffs quotes. The fish wraps love twisting any quote around and making it sound like there are all sorts of problems at the club. In the last month they have reported that Ambramovich made most of his money illegally, Ranieri is being sacked and replaced by everyone, the players are not happy, etc...

How about an article on the talented youngsters at Chelsea, the fact the someone will finally break the stranglehold the Arsenal and Utd have had on English football for years, the talented youngsters (several British) that Chelsea are playing.

Does anyone else remeber all the shyte that the media threw at Ranieri for not having his English backbone? I think Terry, Johnson, Lampard, and the Coles will make for some humble pie.

15. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Where is everyone?

The line up.....

Carlo Cudicini
    Wayne Bridge
    Marcel Desailly
    William Gallas
    Glen Johnson
    Njitap Geremi
    Claude Makelele
    Emmanuel Petit
    Juan Veron
    Hernan Crespo
    Adrian Mutu

Bench.
    Marco Ambrosio
    John Terry
    Joe Cole
    Damien Duff
    Frank Lampard
    Eidur Gudjohnsen
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

Interesting line up.
    Very defensive in the middle, yet creative enough to give some service to the front lads.

Sparta are giving as good as they are geting in the opening 15 mins.

16. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    35 mins 0-0

Geremi goes close with a free kick, but, other than that is fairly even.
    Sparta are playing well it would seem, even trying to raise the tempo as the half nears an end.

Veron sounds like he is playing far to close to our back line.

Would a point be a good start as we are the away team?
    Hell no- let's get it going with a win :)

17. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sparta! Sparta! :D

Of course I want Sparta to win at home. My predicition is that Jun will score in the 84th minute to give Sparta a 1-0 victory. ;)

18. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    0-0 Half-time

Last ten mins all Chelsea, but no goal.

Right at the death of the half Sparta almost nick one as Kovac hits the side netting with a header--phewwwww.

Tempo definitely picked up for the last 10 of the half and it sounded like it suited us far more than them.

Don't really see any need to have any changes--well, as much as you can judge from the radio anyways--but, with Ranieri that means nothing.

19. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    True to form

Ranieri rings the changes at the half.

Off...Petit
    On...Lampard.

Then in what must have been comical to see Duff doesn't run onto the field in time and Chelsea have to make a 46min sub.

Off...Mutu
    On...Duff

Going with the Monkees suggestion of the 4-5-1.

Chelsea can win this game and it would seem that Ranieri has thoughts of that after the first half showing.

Bright start from both teams.

20. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Will we score?

Bridge and Duff linking up well on the left.

Crespo one on one with the keeper--good save denied him.

Still 0-0 though.

We seem to be doing well down the wings on both sides, lets hope it leads to a sweet cross and a Crespo goal with his head :)

21. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Meanwhile,

in Turkey, Lazio are up 1-0.

Hopefully we can get a goal in the last half hour. I thought the choice of Makelele AND Petit in midfield was very curious. I would have liked Lampard or Duff in there at first, although Ranieri has taken my advice, I presume :)

22. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    And now....

Crespo off and Hasselbaink on.

23. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    80th min

Need something in these last few mins.

Nobody has really stood out yet and at this stage we need to start think about making sure we don't lose to a jammy last min goal.