08/09 XSL News

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Cohnny, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Steele is in preseason camp with the Puerto Rico Islanders. Can't find any sign of him having actually played for the Ironmen.

2. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
  3. Indoor Alter Ego

Indoor Alter Ego New Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Baltimore
    The XSL has had basically no news, I have heard they are planning their exit strategy. With the economy who could blame them. The big question is where will Milwaukee and Detroit go?

Chicago should have quit 3 years ago and New Jersey has been a two year failed attempt.

4. livesoccernews

livesoccernews New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    on earth
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  5. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    I never even considered this scenario.

If Milwaukee loses to New Jersey today then Detroit is the XSL Champion.

If the Detroit players are as aloof as some players I've met they may not even realize they are champions until some fan brings it up to them five weeks from now when they bump into them at a Walmart.

Imagine the excitement of winning a league championship that way. Not only aren't your fans there to see it, but the Ignition won't even be present for their historic victory.

6. opal347

opal347 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hence why I suggested in the last Ignition result thread that I'd rather see Milwaukee win tomorrow so Detroit can win it on their home field, in their last home game, in front of their fans.

7. DallasHammster

Jun 18, 2007
    DALLAS!!!
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    XSL may think no playoffs is the cool soccer thing to do, but since they have basketball-point scoring, they're not fooling anyone. :rolleyes:

8. opal347

opal347 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    XSL Postseason Awards Announced

The XSL Champion Detroit Ignition took home the majority of the awards in the inaugural season, as they should.

MVP: Danny Waltman, Detroit
    Offensive player of the year: Lucio Gonzaga, New Jersey
    Defensive player of the year: Josh Rife, Detroit
    Rookie of the year:Marco Terminesi, Milwaukee
    Coach of the year:Matt Johnson, Detroit

First team:
    G Danny Waltman, DET
    D Josh Rife, DET
    D Troy Dusosky, MIL
    M Lucio Gonzaga, NJ
    F Marco Terminesi, MIL
    F Adauto Neto, NJ

9. Indoor Alter Ego

Nov 4, 2008
    Baltimore
    What no Second Team?

10. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    The rest of the league was the second team (bah-dum-bum).

11. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
  12. Indoor Alter Ego

Nov 4, 2008
    Baltimore
    Has the XSL ceased operations?

13. Indoor Alter Ego

Nov 4, 2008
    Baltimore
    Still waiting for someone to answer the question above a verify that this league does in fact continue to exist.

14. GoStorm

GoStorm Member

Oct 24, 2008
    There is no news out of the Storm that would suggest no league
    Just call one of the teams - team staff are willing to answer questions thats what they are there for
    and if you think they are lying to you then all we can do is wait
    or somebody send an e-mail
    but again if you think they are going to lie to you then don't call - hahaha

15. Indoor Alter Ego

Nov 4, 2008
    Baltimore
    I'm not calling anyone a liar and I'm not going to call any of the teams offices. It is their job to keep us the fans informed. We the fans shouldn't have to track them down.

Maybe this is how Chicago operates which would explain their miserable attendance over the years.

I still have not heard a single statement from the XSL about the league playing next season.

Where's LOFTIN??????????????????????????????????

I heard Grimaldi is busy helping soccerman wash Ed Hale's car.

16. FireFanKeith

FireFanKeith Member

Mar 6, 2000
    chicago,il usa
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have the NISL announced anything? No. The Milwaukee Wave and Storm are playing a few beach soccer games which is part of the year round xperience that the XSL was talking about, the Storm are playing a game at the Sears Centre vs some local all-star team. I have received at least 3 phone calls from the Storm about Summer camps and season tickets. It seems to me that the Storm is alot more active this off season than the Blast or any NISL team.
    Season tickets are on sale as well http://www.chicagostorm.net/images/fliers/Season tickets 09-10.pdf

17. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006
    Why does a league have to announce plans to play next season? Unless we hear otherwise, we should assume that both the XSL and NISL will play their respective schedules next season. When the leagues or teams have something to announce, they'll announce it.

I do know a certain league commissioner was in KC last month at the Wizards/Red Bulls game and was headed to Wichita the next day to meet with a potential ownership group. There's a 15,000-seat arena that's going up in Wichita. He would like to bring in Wichita, KC, and St. Louis to his league at the same team.

18. Indoor Alter Ego

Nov 4, 2008
    Baltimore
    How about this league announce anything? It seems like the Xperience is lacking.

Oh wait beach soccer and the Storm playing the unknown all-stars.

Wow this is quite the Xperience.

19. josh242

josh242 Member

May 30, 2008
    Denver
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the first Wave-Storm beach soccer game take place this weekend? It was supposed to be on the 13th. Any score?

20. GoStorm

GoStorm Member

Oct 24, 2008
    The Wave 8
    The Storm 5
    There should be video & pictures on their respective websites over the next few days
    It was cold & rain before & after the game
    5 - 4 Storm at the half but no score from them in the 2nd half
    It was a good game to watch though - I had never seen that before
    This Saturday they play again in Milwaukee
    They play 2 20 minute halves - I will be there!!!!!

21. GoStorm

GoStorm Member

Oct 24, 2008
    and
    They have a descent little crowd so far for the July 15th game
    Our local park district camp group is going
    They have some kids activities in the building going on before the game
    If you want to hear some noise - it will be like a school day game - kids screaming for the sake of screaming
    They will be playng I am guessing most of the Tormenta team and maybe some players from the USL team Mustangs or other players from that league

22. Capt. Chaos

Capt. Chaos Member

Chicago Fire & Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2005
    Way out in the land of the setting sun
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    RIP...no not me the XSL

It was a good year i guess while it lasted. Ed Hale got what he wanted now can he get what he wants, a larger league. NJ no doubt wants to join the NISL, can the Wave join?!? is Detroit/Plymouth just going to close up shop after a championship?!?

So long Chicago Storm, it was fun while it lasted.

23. RealFutbol

RealFutbol Member

Dec 17, 2007
    The Wave may be no longer. Being reported on tv in Milwaukee. The owner/invester, Krause I believe is his name is pulling the plug. Unless someone else steps up looks like the Wave may be no more.

24. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    I can't get over how great the merger between the NPSL and WISL was and what a great new league the new MISL was.

But seriously, I can't help but persist in thinking things would have been a lot different had the NPSL teams joined the WISL.