News: 06.17.2009

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by eubh223, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Tim Brice

Tim Brice Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Little Rock, AR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. BLG

BLG Member

May 13, 2000
    Moses Lake, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Ryan Cornelius of the American Chronicle,

In response to the Point Counterpoint column on June 16,

You seem to be following the "If we can't be the best, it isn't worthy of our attention" mindset. All his examples that you approve of claim to be among the "World's Best", even though they are often just because we say they are.

NBA World Champs? - FIBA participation would truely prove that claim, which some NBA champs have done (and failed).

World Series Champs? - Our World Series is not a world series. Japanese baseball won the last two World Baseball Classics. USA Baseball hasn't even come close. Would their champ beat our champ?

NFL Super Bowl Champs? - Canadian Grey Cup winners play nearly the same game. No one else on the planet plays this game.

Stanley Cup Champs? - This comparison is probably closest to what soccer is like. We play hockey all over the world, but the NHL is (I believe) considered the best league in the world. But even here, do the NHL champs claim to be "World Champs"?

MLS Cup Champs - Champions of our domestic league. Not world champs. Not even close to being one of the world's best. To many US sports reporters, this is a valid reason to claim it won't make it here. They'd rather take their ball and go home rather than admit there is something out there that is beautiful to watch and is worthy of their attention.

Just my observation,

4. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet!!!!! Now, do I still want to drive to LA to watch the Galaxy play Barca. If it were at the Coliseum, I'd say no, but its so tempting to go back and watch the Galaxy play at the Rose Bowl like old times. Maybe they'll even stop sucking for a game.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonna guess I shouldn't click on that link while at work in case they're monitoring web usage.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Monitoring web usage, I mean.