06/07 Schedule is out

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by chrisc, Jul 20, 2006.

1. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
  2. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The day after my birthday!

Turning 24 in Barcelona, then taking in El Clasico the next day. I need to start rallying the troops now if this has any chance of happening.

[edit] Crap, just realized that it's in Madrid o the 22nd.

3. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Rally 'em! Go to Barcelona and take a cheap flight to Madrid on matchday.

I'm pretty sure I'll be there on the weekend of October 15th for the Sevilla game.

4. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Fwiw, the October match at the Bernabeu will take place a few days after Matchday 3 of the Champions League group stage.

The March return follows the CL 1st knockout round, 2nd Leg.

The Quarterfinal 1st leg will be 23/24 days later.

Not that I'm looking too far ahead or anything. :)

5. josheli

josheli New Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Looks like I'll be in Barca the weekend of March 11th, same as the Real Madrid match. How difficult is it to obtain tickets to this, any suggestions on the best methods? I don't doubt it's hard, but obviously would be amazing to catch. Any info is much appreciated, thanks.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Just a note: the match against Celta Vigo will obviously be postponed since Barca is playing Sevilla in 25 August (UEFA Super Cup).

7. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We should also add the FIFA Club World Cup to the mix.

The "Quarterfinals" start on 10 December, but Barcelona enters the picture on 14 December. They will play the winner of Club America-Auckland FC in the Semifinals.
    The Final will be played on 17 December.

La Liga fixtures affected:
    Jornada 14 / 10 Dec: Barca - Real Sociedad
    -- moved to Saturday the 9th or possibly even pushed back to midweek 6 Dec???
    Jornada 15 / 17 Dec: Betis - Barca

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    When was the last time there was a real Catalan derby in Spain's top-flight? We finally have one this season, but the first match isn't until 20/21 Jan (round 19) at Camp Nou.

That means Gimnastic and Barca also play on the final day of the season. I wonder if Barca will "throw" that match if Gimnastic needs a win to avoid relegation!? :p

9. tapper

tapper New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this is all good points. Probably speaks to why we are expanding the squad size at the moment. Its good planning by the management, and we might be able to pick up even another player.

Its a post-World Cup year, the players won't have had much rest from football, and then looking at Liverpool's season last year after winning the Champions League, you're looking at a ton of weeks with multiple games, especially if we make runs in the cups again. So a big sqaud is probably in order with all the wear and tear we'll put on the players this season.

I don't think anybody has ever won a domestic league/domestic cup/European Cup/intercontinental cup quad...and of course, this is the goal, to make history while we have this fantastic squad assembled. Now who is looking too far ahead :D ?

10. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Not positive, but I think Ajax in '72 won all four.

Tbh, the CL is the one I'm hoping for the most. Two reasons:

-- No club has been able to successfully defend the trophy during the Champions League era. With so many strong squads involved in the tournament these days, winning it once is tough enough. To repeat would place this group of Barca players on a level other clubs would dare to dream about.

-- Plain and simple, I don't want Mourinho winning it, especially with Chelsea. I feel he'll want this trophy more than anything this season and will make it the club's priority. If you could assure me that Barca would defeat Chelsea in the CL final, I would gladly give up La Liga to RM.
    I think. :eek:

Btw, are the dates for the Copa del Rey known?

11. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck no! :)

Winning the league comes first for me, everything else comes after that. Second, obviously, is the Champions League. I'm thinking that the Semi-final/final should be our expectation heading into the season. You have to defend your home first though.

That said, I don't want Chelsea to win, and I consider it our personal duty to make sure Arsenal doesn't win anything. :)

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Which is more important to the Barca supporters? I think it depends largely on who wins at your expense. If the league-race comes down to Valencia and Barca, I think most would prefer to win CL. But if the league comes down to the final day and its Barca or Real Madrid, then obviously the league is more important to win.

13. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Super Cup still exists....interesting.

14. BarcaFan

BarcaFan Member

Nov 14, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I guess I'll be in Madrid on Oct 22

15. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    WOW! You hate Arsenal after 1 match and Barca won. I'm surprised.

16. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprised too. :)

It's actually for much more than one match though. It involves everything, from Henry(including trying to get Puyol sent off in the world cup with his acting), to the Cesc situation, to their further attempts to raid la cantera. In fact, I despise their entire philosophy regarding youth transfers. They let other clubs develop the talent, then they poach it without compensating them fairly. People complain about what Chelsea does in the transfer market, but at least those teams are compensated (very well in fact) for the time and money they put into the development of young players. Arsenal contributes nothing to football. They only take, and expect to be applauded for it.

I very much dislike them.

17. acmilan_barcelona

acmilan_barcelona Nou Camp-San Siro

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    tough start to match us against a very solid and unpredictable Celta side and we have to play away. They may be some changes due to other continental fixtures.

18. acmilan_barcelona

acmilan_barcelona Nou Camp-San Siro

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    i can see how you feel buddy, raiding our youngsters after all the much work and investment we put in does upset me too so i hope Catfish and Wenger take note. But i do hate Chelsea that much that i even hope that Arsenal can sign Viera and may be Trez to strengthen and be able to compete favourably with Chelsea.

The targeting of our youngsters is however tough to take in and i hope we keep a keen watchful eye on Wenger`s advances this season because there are some Barca B players who have been impressive in the off season and europe has been watching.

19. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Catfish is cool. I'm 90% sure that he didn't have any part in it. :)

Wenger though, well, he's on my list.

20. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Dare I ask, has a club ever gone a La Liga season unbeaten?

Just asking, strictly out of curiosity. :)

21. geego

geego New Member

May 14, 2006
    Athletic Bilbao in 1929-30 and Real Madrid in 1931-32. Leagues with 10 teams and, therefore, 18 matches.

22. Omideyi

Omideyi Member

Dec 13, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    just one thing.....does anyone have any idea the possibility of me getting tickets for Barca-Real in March? and how to go about it?

23. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm into the whole "RM wins nothing, and Barca finishes above them in La Liga" concept of expectations. Above and beyond that is gravy, but hey, with this squad... everything is possible.

24. tapper

tapper New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually hated Arsenal long before that (present company excluded of course). And Greddy has already spelled out why.

But I have found a new hate of Thierry Henry. Used to respect the guy, but I've come to the realization that he's a pr*ck after his ranting at the UCL, and then the dive against Puyol.

Anyway, back to topic. Defending La Liga would be a successful season IMO. I know I made a joke about the quad, and that's certainly POSSIBLE, but really truly expecting anything more than a league title is just greedy. The squad CAN win every trophy, but winning La Liga would make this a success.

Has the trophy been retired as of last year? I know its been a long time since one has been retired, and both Barca and RM were close to retiring this one. If nobody has, then that's added incentive to win La Liga this year.

Actually I hope we win that World Club Championship. We haven't won that one yet, and since we're spending all that time in Japan, we might as well come back with something. Hey! I just remembered that they cover that on FSC, excellent. Now I really hope we win.