05/30/08 - MISL finally folded today

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by FutsalFan, May 30, 2008.

1. zinsy!!!

zinsy!!! Member

Jun 4, 2008
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree....There's a PASL team right across the river at Jamie Swanner's indoor facility (The Game). I do not feel that the level of play is the same as the MISL II and i really didn't think that was incredibly excellent to begin with....I'm afraid that i cannot see anyone paying to come see these games either....There's MANY indoor facilities around town and i'd be just as content to go watch games in any of the better men's open leagues FOR FREE.

Are we really so desperate for an indoor pro league that we are willing to accept any scrap thrown our way? If that is the case there's a men's over 30 league on Friday nights at The Soccer Dome in Webster Groves, MO that i will gladly take your $15.00 if you'd like to come watch...There's some heated battles between the likes of Elf's Army and Jammin' Joe's.

I'd rather see "professional" indoor soccer finally die than to see it become a complete joke (which many might argue happend long ago). If people can't recognize the mistakes that have been made time and time again and correct those mistakes then the sport deserves to die.

Maybe one day the world will be ready for indoor soccer again and maybe we can be given a league and some teams that are truly deserving of the title "professional"..

Until then, maybe we should try following outdoor (which i have already done), trading MISL/AISA/NASL/NPSL/CISL/WISL/MISL II tapes and dvds, or try following a new sport altogether

I love indoor soccer as much as anyone (my memorabilia and video collection is a testament to that love) but i just can't give this much time and energy to something that seems to be completely dead... No offense meant to anyone BUT stuff like the AISL and PASL PRO-whatever seem bush league and below mediocre....It's almost as if everyone is saying that the bar has been lowered so much that they give up too...

Is the need for continuity and some sort of lineage to the past glories of the MISL, NPSL, and CISL so strong that we will replace the admittedly flawed MISL II with ANYTHING....

no thanks...not me...

2. wsls9999

wsls9999 Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    Rich Bradley emailed me today, and told me that there will be in news in late july or early august. He says, "there will be a season".

Matt

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The incredible moving deadline.

Like I said, if you're not starting until, say, December, maybe that's okay. But time's a wastin'.

4. Kevin McMillan

Oct 17, 2006
    Edmonton
    Does he have some of your money already?

5. wsls9999

wsls9999 Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    I live in MD, he is in Orlando, FL, so...NO.

6. CurryMan123

CurryMan123 New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    I'd rather watch paint dry than watch soccer.

~CurryMan

7. Capt. Chaos

Capt. Chaos Member

Chicago Fire & Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2005
    Way out in the land of the setting sun
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    well there is a reason why things haven't been released yet and it is a good reason. I mean you need to make a grand entrance don't you and if everything isn't finished yet (not anything to do with teams) then you can't start yet.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, I know this.

I'm just sayin'....at this point, what they announce had better be good. Because it's now July 4, more than a month after the mushroom cloud.

9. CurryMan123

CurryMan123 New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    I don't really see how much of a difference it makes whether they announce it now or a month from now. They already have the owners and teams in place, and it's not like the majority of the people who come to the games know or care about the situation.

~CurryMan

10. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    But the SCHEDULE should be out now let alone the formation of the league. And they voted for the mushroom cloud on April 30 so that's over 2 months ago.

11. CFL-fan

CFL-fan Member

May 1, 2006
    Maryland
    Dear God of Indoor Soccer,

Where is the PASL-Pro Schedule? How long has it been since you announced your 7 US teams? Who is Dallas and where will they play? Ditto for New York?

People in glass houses....

12. Unlucky4

Unlucky4 New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    And really, I've never known an official from one league to publicly trash another. You don't see Roger Goodell calling out the CFL do you?

13. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    I wasn't trashing anything. I was just agreeing with Kenn's sentiment. And I would like nothing more for our schedule to be out, too. And part of the reason it isn't is because the former MISL teams don't know what they want to do yet (still).

But we're happy to accord them some flexibility and I think we're all going to be working together one way or another.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The schedule has come out much later than this before (you could easily say "Yeah, and how has that worked out for them?"), but when the schedule has come out has been about tenth on the list of why indoor soccer has struggled.

I said I didn't think it really mattered in June whether everything was apparent to all of us. It may not matter if anyone knows what's going on in July. But every day that goes by (especially with the rumors about a split, meaning they don't appear to just be having their lawyers go over language) could be taken as a less-than-positive outcome awaits.

I know - only the few of us really care. For most people, their indoor soccer team goes away every April and they don't think about it until October, if they think about it at all.

I just hope they're actually getting stuff all sorted. Because they have gone through this whole rigamarole with the intent of making things work. If they end up with an IRL-CART situation again because somebody can't get it through their heads that they need to do what's best for everybody and not just what's best for their own personal interests, then we'll be no better off than we've been for the last 7 years.

15. Unlucky4

Unlucky4 New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    So then the few of us are fans of the business of indoor soccer in addition to the game itself.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, EB. :)

17. CurryMan123

CurryMan123 New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Sure it would be nice if the league was formed, and they had a schedule. It would do wonders to the hardcore fanbase's optimism. Really though in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make that much of a difference. Like I said before things are already in place. Hale has the numbers of the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and about a billion different soccer leagues in the Baltimore area. I doubt any of them know or care about the schedules.

~Curryman

18. BMore-Pat

BMore-Pat New Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Baltimore
    July 15th - the date that most think is the deadline for a new league to be formed in time to save indoor for the 08-09 season is fast approaching.

Anyone have any news? Are the owners even meeting now to discuss a new league?

I saw that on one of the sports hiring websites that the NJ Ironmen posted a sales position on July 3rd. Is that a good sign?

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This league (and its precedessors) have never been real good with deadlines.

We don't know when the season is supposed to start - there was talk it might be pushed back a bit. We don't know. Without that piece of info, it's hard to know when a realistic "deadline" might be.

I said the longer we get into July, the more uneasy *I* get, but Curry's probably right - at pretty much any of these moments in this basic timeframe, you could say "What's going to be appreciably better or worse if they announce everything today or tomorrow or next week?"

20. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    But we get uneasy because we know the longer it takes to get settled the more likely it isn't going to get settled until September or October. :)

21. CurryMan123

CurryMan123 New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Who said July 15th was the date? Is it people here? Players? Owners Fans? Somebody else. I would not get too wrapped up around the idea unless somebody in the know said so.

~CurryMan

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hence, high school students in Stockton.

23. BMore-Pat

BMore-Pat New Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Baltimore
    I heard that there was supposed to be a huge conference call for the new league today. Does anyone have any info. on this conference call?

24. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Within the teams, you mean? If it were a media call, I think someone would've sent me a press release.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think it would be between all the principles and not for media types to call in and ask questions. Just a guess. Somebody would have heard of it if it was to announce stuff. You'd think.