04' Superdraft: College Players in Draft

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by GCSOCCER19, Nov 27, 2003.

1. GCSOCCER19

GCSOCCER19 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    North Carolina
    Who is going to be the first college player selected in the Superdraft...players after that? players to look for, surprise selections etc.....????? ideas comments, mock drafts in your opinion...

I am saying that Joesph Ngwenya of Coastal Carolina could be the first pick out of the forwards crop....after him I am saying Chad Marshall and Ryan Cochrane on the defensive side of the ball taken...

and Ned Grabavoy will go top 5 in my opionion....

2. fatman

fatman New Member

Nov 14, 2003
    Hoosier Country
    1) Ned "The Gift" Grabavoy (Indiana)
    2) Joesph Ngwenya (Coastal Carolina)
    3) Knox "the big gallute" Cameron (Michigan)
    4) Micheal Bowditch (IUPUI)
    5) Heath Creager (San Diego State)

or maybe at
    4) Ryan Cochrane
    5) Micheal Bowdith

my stomach is calling me
    im out

p.s. the fatman is never wrong

3. soccergrly14

soccergrly14 New Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Chad Marshall for sure

4. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    Chad Marshall

Chad has made it known (I believe) that MLS is not in the future for him. If he is going to give up Stanford it will be for Europe.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I will be surprised if Chad is in the MLS draft but strangers things have happened. If he does sign, he'll be the first player picked (not counting Adu as No. 1).

Fatty, I will be shocked if Grabavoy goes No. 1.

Aside from the facts that I don't think he's the most talented player in the draft and that he has - allegedly - an offer in France, the top pick, after Adu, is held by the Columbus Crew.

Grabavoy is a central attacking MF. The Crew already have Kyle Martino at that position starting and last year took Diego Walsh with their top pick. One thing they don't need is playmaking central mids.

Grabavoy ain't fast enough to play wide in MLS and he's not big enough to play forward. If he signs, I think he's a first rounder, but not sure where.

Don't forget the seniors in this draft. Besides Ngwenya, there's Chris Wingert of St. John's Adolfo Gregorio and Leonard Griffin of UCLA, Seth Stammler and Scott Buete of Maryland and Memo Arzate of UC Santa Barbara among others

Others from the U20 team will get long looks and could go before Grabavoy. CJ Klaas of Washington and Ryan Cochrane of Santa Clara, come to mind. Watch for Klaas' stock to improve in the UAE. He's about on par in terms of skill with Wingert but he'll be roster exempt. Granted, the Crew don't need a right back since they have Hejduk, but someone picking high will likely take him.

This thread is a good one and if we can stay away from pissing contests should be a good one leading up to the draft.

6. soccergrly14

soccergrly14 New Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Re: Chad Marshall

good call strider026- i dont know what i was thinking when i said for sure about Chad- you're right- he has made it pretty clear that he doesnt want to go to the MLS, but wants to go overseas and is hoping to get some offers at the UEA if he has a good showing...

7. emailryoung

emailryoung Member

Feb 6, 2003
    California
    If Marshall does enter the SuperDraft, it certainly seems like a BigSoccer concensus that he'd be a (the?) top pick.

You can find considerable discussion of him and his availability on the Dallas Burn boards. They are concerned that the Adu signing may somehow bump them down in the draft order, and perhaps cost them a shot at signing Marshall.

Personally, I too suspect he'll be in Europe.

8. soccerplayer15

soccerplayer15 New Member

Jun 29, 2003
    Knox Cameron isn't going pro so don't count him in your top draft picks.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    And you base this on what?

10. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Steve Burns was apparently quoted in an article in the local paper that Cameron was unlikely to go pro unless he tore up the U20 tournament.

11. soccerplayer15

soccerplayer15 New Member

Jun 29, 2003
    He lives two doors down from me and I we played together at michigan for 2 years. I talked to him about it before he left for the WC.

12. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    That's pretty much what I read into Burns' comment.

13. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    wait for P-40's

It hard to determine the order of the draft until the Project 40 list comes out. We don't yet know who will be available but rest assured that those roster exempt players will go first. The list should be out in late December or very early January.

14. 2leftshoes

2leftshoes New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    bay area
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Cronin Santa Clara goalie (u20 national team) is good possibility for superdraft

15. Shutout

Shutout New Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Tighe Dombrowski

Tighe Dombrowski, UWM, invited to combine...look for him to go middle second or early third.
    Qualty player on both sides of the ball.