03/7: French Connection: FCD vs Montreal [R]

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Mar 4, 2020.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    upload_2020-3-4_9-3-8.jpeg

Game
    : FC Dallas vs Montreal Impact
    Date: Saturday, March 7th
    Time: 2:00 pm [Local] | 3:00 pm [Montreal] | 20:00 [Universal]
    Location: Toyota Stadium, Frisco, Texas, United States of America
    Weather Forecast: Partly Cloudy; H 64, L 47
    Competition: Major League Soccer
    Live TV: KTXA-21 [DFW] | ESPN+ [USA] | TVA Sports [Cananda]
    Radio: FCDallas.com/radio [English] | 1270 AM [Spanish]

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So has FCD never been 2-0? If they haven't but do it this year does that portend greatness?

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You made me curious so I started going back year by year. Fortunately, I only had to get to 2015 and there it was. We actually started off 3-0 that season.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw somewhere a few days ago it would be our first 2-0 start. I guess I should expect nothing with around 50% turnaround every year in the FO.

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yep, the same people who said Hugo Sanchez was part of our 1997 Open Cup winning team. :cautious:

Pegasus repped this.
  6. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    *giggle*

Pegasus repped this.
  7. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in DC for work today, so I missed the FCD game, but good to see them come back from two down.

Urruti now has 3 goals in 2 games for Montreal in 2020. He was always one of my favorite players for FCD, even when he couldn't find the net. Glad to see him thriving somewhere, though I'd prefer it to be at someone else's expense.

8. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Did Maxi ever score 2 goals in a game for us?
    2) Has Kobra ever scored a goal with his head for us before Saturday?
    Seems like a disappointing result now, but maybe Montreal is better this year.
    Disappointing as the result was, the $1 beer promotion may have been the best deal in the history of professional sports. I was anticipating mini off-brand beers and mini hot dogs. No. Regular (though inconsistently cooked) hot dogs, 12 oz and 16 oz beers. I drank 4 x 16 oz Dos Equis for free using my STH stadium cash (though I tipped the beer guys a few real $ with every purchase).
    As much as we complain about the cheapness of things FCD, this deal was spectacular.

Pegasus repped this.
  9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    1)

2) I thought maybe he had but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Not too happy about our lack of intensity when Montreal was more than feckless in the 1st half. Honestly, we didn't really pick it up until we were 2-0 down; but credit where it's due, we fought back. Not sold on Hollingshead as our starting left back. Way too error prone. Jesus continues to be off his game. Talk all the shit you want about Kobra, he has the fight in his belly and he scores goals (now) too.

10. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Jesus: still don't see it, but he's so very, "Luchi's Guy" he's in that spot unless the whole thing starts failing apart (long losing streak). The guy simply won't do anything with the ball other than pass it off. Did he take a defender on all night?
    Kobra: all of that passion, fight and rah-rah is really, really needed and he's the only one that supplies it. That said, his first touch and hold up game is so f'ing clunky, he is a major part of the reason they're so MEH in attack when trying to build up vs just play direct. Even when he retains possession when checking back, it's so poor, more times than not he has to take 3 more touches to just get the ball settled and by then there's no advantage or time to turn and go.
    Reggie: Dude seriously needs to develop a go-to move to get down the line and beat his mark to the outside (like Barrios has/does). Team almost shuts down when opponent sits deep and the play goes wide to Reggie who 9/10 times just recycles back inside. To be fair, on the first goal, this scenario occurs - he receives wide, gets stuck has to play back to Santos(?) who spies that Reggie's mark has narrowed - so he plays it back to a wide open Reggie who hits a spot on cross. (btw, Santos, who is proving his value - probably caused that defender to narrow due to those wicked runs w/ the ball into the box that he's suddenly willing to do if you leave lanes open).

Team really just lacks urgency - until it doesn't. Luchi talked about this in the post-game - having "too high of highs and low of lows". Where was all that one-touch passing, out to in to out and cross, taking on defenders down the line attacking until minute 88? This is a part of what worries me about Luchi as a head coach, he doesn't seem to have that mental part of the game, getting players to fire evenly or from the go. hell, there are coaches that never figure that out.

Luchi admitted after the game, "...there is still so much work to do. It is not good enough".

11. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hollingshead sucked. Passed poorly, defended very poorly. He's not a solid defender, but that game was way below par for him. I expect better from him the rest of the season.
    Something is wrong with Jesus - lack of confidence, lack of understanding of his position. Something needs to change there.
    Just saw Reggie, Jesus, and Pax got called for Olympic qualifying. Maybe that will help Jesus.

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't think that is his best position. He would be better as the #10 in a 4-2-3-1 as a striker or off striker and maybe as a winger that can cut in, play narrow and get in the box. Once Pax is 90 minute ready he'll play that spot.

13. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    should have mentioned: Ryan did not practice Wednesday on the heels of that awful looking knee hyper extension vs Philly. Buzz was surprised he played as Luchi generally has a rule about not playing in a weekend game if you don't participate in Wednesday practice.

also, as much as I love Ryan, I'm always surprised how high he appears on pundit lists of "best left back in MLS". He's #1 on many of them.

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of folks go by those statistics sites. They are good for if you didn't watch to get an idea of how someone played but not the same as watching every game all year long.

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without looking too closely the other 25 starting left backs in the league, it might be something that he wins simply because there aren't any definitive leaders at the position across the league. I like him a lot, but I also have a hard time considering him the best in the league at that position when he's only been playing it for a couple years and is still visibly learning it.