03/30: Mr. Hyndman Goes to Washington: DC vs FCD [R]

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Mar 27, 2012.

1. VivaIslamico

VivaIslamico Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is probably grasping at straws, but I'm wondering if we might actually do better with other teams unable to play the super high pressure tactics that have been crushing us lately due to the summer heat. Maybe SH built this team to perform at 110 degrees F.

Or maybe we're headed for despair of Southlake-ian proportions. I dunno.

2. scholes181818

scholes181818 Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm reading a lot of posts that completely rip DH, which I think is pretty unfair. Is he old? yes. Is he getting slower? yes. But he's not the reason we're getting overrun in the middle of the park.

There are 2 reasons we looked weak in the middle:
    1. Our outside mids didn't track back very well. When the outside mids don't track back, a CM has to slide over to pressure ball. When a CM is caught wide, he's not shielding the backline.
    2. Our back line played wayyyyy too deep for most of the game. when the backline plays too deep there's too much space for the midfield to cover - DH had acres of space infront of him, and acres of space behind him - there's not much you can do when the backline puts you on a island like that.

The answer: backline needs to hold a higher line - confidence is a big issue here, so having John back would help (Pertuz is good, but I thought his positioning was the weakest of the back four on Friday).

On the attacking end, my biggest problems are with Jacobson and Villar. Villar would be great to have in a linking role between DH and DF10. Villar just isn't a 10 shirt - he doesn't have the vision, and he doesn't do a great job of working off of Perez. I don't know what to do with Jacobson - i like the guy overall, but his passing & distribution is too weak to play the linking role. For me, he's the biggest reason we can't maintain possession. He gets on the pitch because he covers ground and he's good on set pieces.

3. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Austin
    Put Jacobson in the DM role DH has, then.

4. ivannomad

ivannomad Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Tyler, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I've been making this point for awhile now... That's why he is only going after the brown and black guys... Genius I tell you.

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do you even read the shit you post anymore?

6. iceberg602

iceberg602 Member

Jul 23, 2010

7. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    What in the defense has changed since the first two halves of soccer in the first two games? Not only have we not fixed problems in our midfield, now we have screwed up our back line too. And, for what? What are FCD fans going to get out of the changes?

8. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    i love DH but you cant really justify him getting extended minutes anymore if you go strictly based on his performances this year. also agree that AJ is not a linking player and Villar is not a CAM...not sure when coach will realize we don't have the personnel to play a 4-1-4-1 without DF10. let's get another striker out there.

9. ivannomad

ivannomad Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Tyler, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You mean like proof read? Is my grammer incorrect?