☆☆☆ AFC Ajax: Sons Of Gods & The Three Stars ☆☆☆ [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Vandervaart, Sep 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If the midfield doesn't move back, at least the defenders should move closer to them. And when we lose control of the midfield, 1 of the defenders or the striker should move into midfield to create a 4 vs 3 situation. That happens pretty much never.

2. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Also Bulykin did nothing right, absolutely nothing. And nothing came from a single action from Boerrigter, just a couple of shitty crosses that never reached anyone.

Sorry but everyone was shit, except maybe Alderweireld, Koppers and Vermeer/Cilissen.

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I guess I disagree about Boerrigter, he at least beat his man and got some crosses in. Sulejmani kept drifting in and sure, a couple of crosses went long, but where was the winger??? Right on top of the striker. I thought Vertonghen was pretty solid and he did get the goal.

I would really like to see FdB experiment in the cup match this week against Roda and find out which of the young players is ready for prime time but I think that is too much to ask for.

4. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I haven't seen Boerrigter beat his man once. At least he tries something, and keeps the pitch wide, which is more than can be said about Sulejmani. But most of his crosses were stopped by their right back. It's embarrassing that none of our wingers are even in the top 5 of the best wingers in the Eredivisie.

Vertonghen likes to be a leader, and he's the captain, he was trained as a midfielder so I expect a little more from him than the rest of them. He should be pushing the team forwards, and helping in the midfield when it's possible. Again he only started doing that after the red card. And why do our Belgians continue to pass to the backs? The backs are in no position to use for build up. That's elementary stuff. Games like this expose the shortcomings of our academy.

And again. Why do we not pressure our opponents? Even Feyenoord can do that. It's mentality that's all there is to it. They're lazy, they're scared, and Frank doesn't encourage them to move forwards.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The bigger problem since the absence of Boilesen is that our fullbacks never take advantage of any situation to push forward. Blind did when he was playing but he has so many defensive liabilities that he cannot be trusted to play. As a result, there is nobody on the outside when crosses go long.

I don't think the team is a reflection of the academy's shortcomings since there are players all over the Eredivisie who spent time there. The bigger problem is having a dysfunctional midfield. I think this was only Anita's second match in midfield this season and he didn't even spend the whole match there and maybe the only other time was another Red card send off where he had to move to fullback again (van der Wiel Red I think). Janssen can't play in this midfield because of lack of quickness. Again, if you don't get any rotation back from your other two midfielders and the striker dropping a little deeper to get the ball you are doomed to having your midfield run over which is exactly what has happened to us all season long. We've got to have Anita, Eriksen and someone else who is quick on the ball in midfield. I wish Aisatti would at least get a chance as I don't think Lodeiro is quick enough but maybe I'm wrong on this count.

6. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    you guys pretty much said what I wanted to say. The defenders to midfield link up is so so bad.

It is crazy how in person you see how small the majority of our players our as well.

I really didn't see any player that stands out. It was obvious that a set play was only way we would score today.

That said, it was a fun experience during my first time at the Arena. Many more trips in future. :cool:

7. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I haven't seen an opportunity for our backs to move forward. Since we never had the ball anywhere further up the pitch. And the backs should not be involved in the build-up. And you can't expect the backs to keep running up and down the sides either. They're only able to consistently push up when the rest of the team does so as well. But as soon as we lose possession, the defenders, led by Vertonghen, start to run back to their own goal. So that means the backs should have to run back 60+ meters as well.

I don't think the aim is of the Ajax academy is to produce players of RKC/NAC quality players. When I see that we have practically nobody in our team that is able to see where the open spaces are and have the technique to do something with it, it makes me a very sad panda.

But you don't believe it's just Janssen that's the problem right? Cause I see you mentioned Eriksen and De Jong as well.

Mismanagement by the technical staff, and especially Frank de Boer has been the main reason we dropped 13 points already if you ask me.

8. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Frank admitted after the match that he has no clue at all what's causing this shitty play. I guess that's a start.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Of course the fullbacks can't come forward unless there is some certainty that you will control possession in midfield. But for the most part we cannot do this in the league. Boerrigter at least stays out wide providing a passing lane but Sulejmani is all over the field, often leaving the right side vacant which compresses the attacking area. The striker needs to drop back and be able to create another outlet for a pass and to maintain control of the ball once it's delivered. For all his other faults Sigthorrsson does this quite well. The three midfielders need to create options for the build up and of course we know the problems here very well. Enoh - not good on the ball and has little field recognition. Anita - spends very little time in the midfield. Janssen too slow and easily marked out of the game. de Jong (prior to moving to striker) - not quick and can't make the pass off soon enough. Eriksen - has talent but it looks like he's getting frustrated out there.

I'm growing concerned that FdB doesn't learn from his mistakes and that maybe the run of play last season was due to the opponents failing down the stretch.

As I noted, we have a stretch of matches to winter break that we should and must win. Maybe all this CL football is a distraction, I don't know. I do know that there is talent on this team and they should be doing a lot better.

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah but he's said similar things in the past. He needs to find the answers.

11. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    It's becoming a joke how bad this team is at moving the ball up the field. All of this out of control one touch passing between the back 4 and Vermeer is friggin suicide.

12. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    It's time for a new thread, who's willing to open one?

13. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands