€-Moneyball; High and Low Finance Football

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Feb 27, 2012.

1. It's funny how Koeman blames UEFA for something his own club is pushing for:

upload_2021-5-15_18-18-12.png

2. If the ESL suspects were betting on succes with the support of the FIFA/Infantino, these morons are suffering from dementia (not unlikely, given their age).
    FIFA has absolutely no clout when it comes to club level football. That's FA territory, backed by the governments, at least in the prime club football environment Europe.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/20/sports/soccer/super-league-fifa-infantino.html

3. What many donot understand or are in denial of is that FIFA is nothing more than UEAF+. Without UEFA there's no FIFA.

4. Well, we know what this is all about, don't we?

5. Dutch car maker for BMW had to shut down the production lines because of the lack of chips. They're not the only one.
    We atm have the most important company in the world. If an asteroid would hit Veldhoven/Eindhoven, the world is in deep shit economically.
    ASML is the only company in the world with the knowledge to produce UV etching machines, while they also have a huge part of the production capacity for machines other than the UV ones.
    Production world wide of products with chips in it stagnate, because chips can't be produced in enough numbers and a machine ordered now takes two years to deliver ... if you're lucky.
    I think the Dutch government should ban exports of the ASML machines and start production facilities here for chips.
    And then extort the rest of the world into submission.
    Those machines are as powerful as nukes.
    USA wants chips? First give us New York back.
    (Bonus for them they can play their clubs in the KNVB leagues)
    Europe wants chips? First give Feyenoord, PSV, Ajax and AZ four permanent spots in the CL.
    :)

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not quite true. They do hold 60% of the market share but there are other companies including Canon & Nikon that produce such equipment. The shortage of chips is a complex issue and ASML machines are not the only factor here.

Are you an ASML shareholder? If so, you should disclose the fact!;)

7. They leave the bottom part of the market to Nikon and Canon, but the machines needed for the production of advanced chips are solely ASML territory.
    Nope I'm not.
    Just before the crash at the start of this millennium I decided to go solely derivatives and sold all stocks.
    I however adviced at that time an old economy study friend, who asked me if I had a tip for his uncle who had in current money about 25k €€ he didnot need for at least 10-15 years, to put it all in ASML. Iirc a share was about 10€€ at that time.
    The reason why I gave that advice was because of the fact that ASML, unlike Canon and Nikon, always kept their R&D at a high level, regardless of the boom/bust cycles in the chip industry. They even for years on end didnot pay dividends, but used it all to go full ahead in the UV technology research.
    Canon and Nikon never recovered from their R&D on hold decisions and even on the non UV machines they donot outplay technologically ASML.
    I wished in hindsight I would have made an exemption to ASML in that 2000 decision and followed my own advice to that friend.
    The US government wanted a ban on export of the UV machines by ASML to China, but recently an article in a tech site mentioned that the export of socalled Deep UV machines to China was a slap in the face of the American agency that adviced against such deliveries.
    Analysts in the tech sector have concluded the head start ASML has in UV technology is so big that the money needed to try to develop like technology is so staggering, nobody even thinks about it.

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The shortage of semiconductors is only tangentially related to lithography. It's more of repurposing exisiting facilities which take time. Intel has excess chip making capacity and is moving into more custom chip making but it will take time to do the conversion.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    HERE is the bleak future of Euro football. I think Rory Smith is correct.

10. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't think the EPL teams will want to risk a 30 point penalty going forward. With out them the Super League is DOA.

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Here is MORE on the French League's revenue troubles. They are looking to Amazon to broadcast matches but this is pissing of Canal+ who have a contract for a subset of matches. If they don't resolve this soon, teams will be in further difficulty and there will be some fire sales of players to balance the accounts. Not good news for Ligue Un

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    From ESPN here in the US (note that they got a sweetheart loan from Goldman Sachs for €528M; I wonder if the other two ESL renegade teams Madrid and Juve will be offered money as well):

La Liga president Javier Tebas has warned Barcelona they risk not being able to register Lionel Messi next season if they don't reduce their wage bill.

Messi's deal expires in nine days, and he has not yet made a public decision on whether he will extend his 20-year relationship with Barca.

President Joan Laporta remains optimistic Messi will sign new terms at Camp Nou, but Tebas said Barca must ensure they remain within the league-imposed salary cap.

"Barcelona have exceeded their wage cap," Tebas said on Monday. "I hope they can keep Messi, but to do so, they will have to make cuts elsewhere."

Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, Barca had the largest cap in Spain's top flight in 2019-20 at €671 million.

However, La Liga's new limit for the 2020-21 season was €382.7m. The Catalan club were given some leeway in terms of reducing salaries, but it meant they were unable to register Memphis Depay despite agreeing on a fee with Lyon last September.

La Liga could technically prevent them from registering Messi's new contract or inscribing new signings this summer if they don't adhere to certain financial regulations.

Messi's most recent four-year deal, signed in 2017, was worth over €500m including his annual wage, signing on fees and bonuses.

Barca's wage bill has grown since the end of the season, with the signings of Eric Garcia, Sergio Aguero, Emerson Royal and Depay.

Meanwhile, they are struggling to shift some of the biggest earners at the club, including Samuel Umtiti and Philippe Coutinho.

Tebas, though, said renewing Messi will be possible if Barca, whose gross debt stands at almost €1.2 billion, take measures this summer.

"The severity of the situation depends on the resources they are capable of generating," the La Liga chief added. "Barca have to restructure their debt. If they manage that, the situation won't be serious.

"But they have taken their wage bill to the limit. And when football has coughed -- or, better put, punctured a lung -- they haven't wanted to absorb that loss of income. They must take measures.

"Of the €700m losses [across La Liga], half of it is for Barcelona. There are other big clubs that have made a bigger effort to avoid it. Real Madrid have made a commendable effort to ensure their losses aren't the same as Barca, who take the trophy for losses."

On Sunday, Barca members approved a €525m loan from Goldman Sachs to help ease the club through a rocky period financially.

Laporta said the money would not be used on signings, but to pay outstanding debts such as player salaries, transfer fee installments and money owed to the tax office.

The loan can be repaid over 15 years and has a 3% interest rate.

14. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Apart from a Beneliga, also on the table is creating just an additional tournament.

https://www.vi.nl/nieuws/nexit-beneliga-aanstaande-topclubs-onderzoeken-alternatief-toernooi

This is also a trick to maintain the 10 entry tickets to UEFA competitions.

Obviously still things to address but I'm not principally against it.

15. It reads like a BeNed superleague while the clubs stay in the Eredivisie and the Belgian Jupiler League.
    It's the Madurodam version of the European Super League.

16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    With pro/rel and continue playing in the home league though. The Super League had neither.

17. They were a closed shop for the ESL for sure, but wanted the cushion of the domestic league revenues too. Their intention was to benefit double, from the money of the ESL, but that wasnot enough to be able to be profitable, so they wanted to remain in the leagues too.

18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The leader of Belgium (and Flanders) largest party wants to merge Flanders with Netherlands. He said today.

Then a FlaNeLiga will happen by default, lol

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #1472 Orange14, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    Of course we knew the Spanish teams would be bailed out of their dire financial straits. According to US ESPN:

LaLiga has agreed in principle to sell 10% of a newly formed company housing most of its business to private equity firm CVC Capital Partners. The sale still requires approval from the league's executive committee and clubs.

Around 90% of the money will go directly to Spanish clubs, including women's football, semi-professional and non-professional football. It is a loan repayable over a significant number of years, but a source said the clubs are "delighted" as it helps them out of a financial black hole caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Another source suggested Barca and Real Madrid will receive over €250m each based on the protocol for access to the funds.

The clubs must spend at least 70% of the money on investments related to long-term growth, 15% on refinancing their debt and 15% can be used to increase their league-imposed spending limits.

Look for all the Barca players to be registered within the week!!!

EDIT: New York Times link with more details.

20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Messi leaves at Barcelona.

This is the end of La Liga as the top class league

[​IMG]

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I here Messi is moving to Rotterdam to play for Feyenoord!!