Review: “When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.” - 2020 in-season discussion thread.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If height in our back four is a major concern, why haven't we seen more of Pines (who is 6'5")?

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  2. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And plays like he's 6'12"...

3. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ImNumberTen, Theopisa and bigdavestud repped this.
  4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not saying I love the move. But we did need a 4th CB option. By the way would an attacking player who sets up and scores goals not be a fish out of water on this United squad? :D:rolleyes:

5. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to his height, I think Pines may perhaps be our fastest player once he is in stride. Like most very tall guys, he isn't that quick off the mark, but once he gets going he can motor.(I went to college with 6'3" Dave Sime, so I know something about tall, fast guys.)

That said, I don't know that I (or Benny) would start him over our current incumbents.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  6. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That player would ride pine due to lack of defense. We know this as we've seen this.

7. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    These are not the only games that will be played, each team will play - if I remember correctly - 16 games plus possible playoffs. But the rest of the schedule hasn't been announced yet (maybe they want to see if it's doable for real without 20 players per team getting Covid)

Winoman repped this.
  8. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    I know they plan on playing more games but they arent on any normal time table. Scheduling 6 games in 3 weeks for everyobe is stupid in a normal schedule. Its even dumber now.

9. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Only a matter of time. Its tough to judge anyone under the circumstances of that tournament, but sooner or later, Freddy is suddenly going to be old and hard to watch.

10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John L and Winoman repped this.
  11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  12. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben already setting the stage for excuses after we lose to FCC.

JRHokie and Eastern Bear repped this.
  13. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can you have less than 22 players healthy?

Okay - I checked the roster. We only have 24 players on the roster so without Paul we have 23 and a couple of injuries gets us below.

MLS allows for 30 roster players with 18 on game day.

So we have 6 less than the max, down Paul, 7 less.

Looks like DK isn't doing the work. There is no reason we shouldn't have 27-28 first team players.

FCC has 29 First Team rostered players.

this sucks. we suck.

sitruc, UnitedBorn, JRHokie and 3 others repped this.
  14. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Not gonna fly with me.
    Well FCC got a $100M cash injection late last season, I doubt our owners all combined have that much money in total net worth.

15. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you can get 3-4 players in the 150-300k range without breaking the bank. The guys at the ass-end of the roster should be in the 150k range so that’s less than 50K.

The sporks have 28. They aren’t new.

sitruc, JRHokie and Winoman repped this.
  16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    What does this translate to in GAM/TAM?

Winoman, UnitedBorn and GumbyG repped this.
  17. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hmmm DK failing, who would have thought that possible.......................:rolleyes:

Winoman repped this.
  18. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm Ok with having 24 guys, if they're all guys good enough that we don't mind actually playing them. Historically, though, we've gone out of our way to not use the bench, which tells me this is not the case. Loudoun should also gives us some theoretical flexibility there. Again, my trust factor is low.

Especially looking at a combined DCU/Loudoun roster, given a limited amount of cash, I'd rather have 42 truly promising players under contract and another half-dozen academy players rotating in than 60 players under contract of lower average quality. More $-per-player for better players and more minutes-per-player for better development. That would be smart. I'm not sure we're smart.

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  19. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Trust factor is zero. We rarely have 11 starting grade players on the roster. I don't think the number has ever been more than 14 or 15 guys who I wanted to see play. We have some exciting young kids, but they need to be getting games, which they aren't currently, in order to find out if they're worth a damn, More often than not the last 5 years, our exciting young guys are not far from being out of the league. We really do fill roster spots 12-24 with crap most of the time.

shawn12011, GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  20. The Ghost of Hamdi Salihi

DC United, Brighton
    Scotland
    Jan 17, 2020
    Pleasant Plains, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Here's a comprehensive list of deals that all teams are working on. Pretty much 26 teams running around a track with their eyes on the finish line and two teams (Vancouver; DC) running in place. Anybody catch Vancouver's passive, no-attack game against Toronto last night?

Saddest sentence: "Before the league was suspended, [DC] were close to signing defender Bakaye Dibassy (who has since signed for Minnesota United)."
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...ry-move-report-and-rumor-through-deadline-day

Looks like ownership has given up on 2020, but other teams are wheeling and dealing and not using Covid as an excuse to fire the sales staff and tank the team. With most season ticket holder locked in for 2021 and a cut-rate TV deal locked up, it's hard to see things improving next year.

What's the over-under on Ola K. being among the newly injured?

21. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    This is what Doyle wrote about DCU on the MLS website. Sums it up pretty well and is depressing as hell:

You know, and I know, and the whole league knows what D.C. are going to do: Sit deep in a 4-2-3-1, maybe play an extra d-mid somewhere out there, absorb everything and make the game ugly, rely upon Bill Hamid for a few big saves, and then see what happens on counterattacks and set pieces.

With just a few exceptions (most of 2014, as well as the second half of the 2016 & 2018 seasons) this is the way they've been playing since about 2008. There is nothing fancy or unexpected about it, it's just a question of whether they can execute it better than you can execute whatever you're trying to do.

22. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    On the high side, we didn't sign Bobby Wood who was going to be too expensive and probably not sufficiently impactful.

23. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I can’t wait to watch them tomorrow.

Ok, I lied.

JRHokie, griffin1108 and shawn12011 repped this.
  24. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Will they come out with more or less enthusiasm than did the Caps in the last week?

25. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it hard to blame anyone who makes their living playing sports for being less than enthusiastic about their job performance right now.

griffin1108, Winoman and PSURoss repped this.