Review: “When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.” - 2020 in-season discussion thread.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Since this new tournament is also part of the regular season, it’s like a combination of the Supporters’ Shield and the MLS Cup. With appropriate sponsorship, we may have a shot at winning the inaugural “Athletic Supporters’ Cup”! This could be an important piece of hardware. :thumbsup:

2. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...or software, as the case may be. :)

3. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Austin. That’s where the rage should go.
    Douchiest city in America as far as I’m concerned after how they lusted for Precourt and the Crew.

4. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throw the Red Bull down the well.

Doogh, PACfutbol, UnitedBorn and 2 others repped this.
  5. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, they made us wear those in gym class starting in 7th grade. Of course, it got washed about as often as the rest of our gym clothes, so hardware sounds about right.

Winoman repped this.
  6. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precourt lusted for Austin, not the other way around.

sitruc, Eastern Bear, PSURoss and 2 others repped this.
  7. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    They wanted Precourt just as much. The prospect cutting the expansion line on top of not having to find someone to shell out the $200m expansion fee and other expansions on top of the stadium they were going to have to build carried a lot weight.

8. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To bring this full circle, Inter Miami is about to sign Leandro Gonzalez Pirez using their now top spot in the allocation order. Should Atlanta get compensation for this signing after having sold Pirez to Tijuana earlier this year?

Winoman repped this.
  9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Based on your research of MLS allocation rules, if Pirez was sold for more than $500K, then Atlanta is entitled to nothing except for any possible "sell on" negotiated in the deal with Tijuana.

Winoman repped this.
  10. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I know. I'm asking Shawn that question since he was so outraged at DCU getting nothing for Najar, so I'm wondering if he thinks Atlanta should get something for Pirez, too. Or if it's only DC that should get something when a sold player comes back to MLS.

UnitedBorn and Winoman repped this.
  11. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Any word on when the tourney draw will take place? Have to admit I'm looking forward to this very strange season.

Winoman repped this.
  12. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Winoman repped this.
  13. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    oh yeah - I meant when matchups and game times would be announced. I like our draw, offers a good chance to pick up some points and go through.

Winoman repped this.
  14. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Eastern Bear repped this.
  15. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No because Pirez was not an academy product. Najar was. That is the difference. Thank you and have a nice day.

16. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams in bigger leagues sell academy products all the time. I don't think United should hold on to Najar's MLS rights (or Chris Durkin's for that matter) after selling him simply because he's homegrown. Same as Davies for Vancouver or Adams or Miazga for NYRB. They were sold and their MLS teams rightly gave up their rights. It'll never work out where a team can sell a player AND keep his rights.

17. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    While it's a shame Andy didn't come back to DC (I still have the bobble head they gave out) as @pr0ner notes, that's the way soccer works everywhere. On the point of young players and MLS as a "selling league", you should listen to the Allocation Disorder podcast this week -- Stejskal and Tenorio discuss in depth that issue. Worth the listen.

18. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is not in Europe. It has vastly different rules for a reason. It is in America. Comparing MLS to the Premiership, Bundesliga, Seire A et al is folly. It can work out here. League owned players has worked out.

19. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    MLS is Austria, Norway, Denmark, Championship League, Bundesliga 2, etc. Selling off great prospects who want to try the big leagues is OK. Just have to be savvy about it. Young American players who couldn’t get Euro academies interested would gravitate to MLS clubs who are good at developing and then willing to sell to Europe.

griffin1108 repped this.
  20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman, sitruc and shawn12011 repped this.
  21. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Athletic got their hands on the schedule is out for the Perspiration Cup.

DC's group stage matches:

Friday, July 10 against Toronto, 8 PM, ESPN
    Thursday, July 16 against New England, 8 PM, FS1/TUDN
    Tuesday, July 21 against Montreal, 1030 PM, TUDN

Also, a small format change - the top 3 teams from Group A now all advance, along with the top 2 teams from the other groups + the three best 3rd place finishers.

shawn12011, John L and Winoman repped this.
  22. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Winoman repped this.
  23. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let the sh*tshow returnament begin!

24. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    It will be interesting, assuming it takes place. I like our chances, or at least like them better than what they would have been at this point in a normal season. It's very possible to pick up 5-6 points in the three first round games, which would give us a good chance to make the playoffs in a short season. This season attitude may be almost as important as talent, because the whole situation will mess with players' heads. I think this is one area where Ben may be able to have the team more ready to play than some other coaches.

shawn12011 repped this.
  25. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Goff tweeting that Tulsa in the NPSL will replace the Star Spangled Banner with Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land". Excellent choice, wish DCU would do the same. If we need a song before an entertainment event then let's have something uplifting and inclusive, not some unsingable poem set to an old English drinking song written by a slave holder commemorating a skirmish in the Napoleonic wars.

fatbastard, song219, Eben and 1 other person repped this.