“Pep Guardiola: Julian Green deserves Bayern shot”

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by CarlosE, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    If I'm not mistaken, before the world cup, posters on Green came in several different flavors:
    He's ready for the first team now.
    He's on the roster for experience only and I'm ok with that.
    He's on the roster for experience only and I'm NOT ok with that.
    He's not ready for the world cup, he's only playing at 4th division pro (compared to USL)
    He might be ready, might not. I have no idea because I haven't seen him.

I don't remember seeing anyone say that he will not be a good player someday. (some said jury's out, some said he is can't miss)

Even now, I'm not sure if he really was ready for the big stage, or if he got a bit lucky at the right time. (Kinda like the baseball player that hits a homerun in his first at bat and ends up with a .125 career batting avg.) I am convinced that he has loads of potential...

Also, another angle is that I'm not too convinced that Klinsmann thought he was ready either. (based upon his unwillingness to put him into any game until there was absolutely nothing to lose.

one last aside: I have always thought that the system where a top team like Bayern, for example, has no other option for their reserve players but to place them on a team which plays in the 4th division is definitely flawed. Could you imagine the Dodgers only having their a single A (or lower) team to develop players (the alternative being to loan players to another team in AAA, AA or the majors to take care of develpment for them?)

2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be missing some additional context but I read @Spursfan1 statement as talking about the media's views on Green at the World Cup. Simone Borg is exhibit A.

3. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No I agree. But when the post is "Don't tell that to all of the MLS analysts who said he wouldn't amount to much". It is very disingenuous. If you don't add context, it is more TMZ headline than a factual point/argument.

4. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Matthew Doyle is on record saying that Julian Green wont be at Bayern as a regular. He also felt that he wont be as great as people think.

We shall see is all Doyle ever says. No guts.

Green has incredible talent. its up to him to become the athlete that can dominate but it is evident that he has intelligent qualities and is highly skilled.

The next 3 years are crucial for him.

Screw the MLS analysts who doubt him.

5. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh. This just one of another one those narratives that's emerged since the WC; that everyone was down on Green and Jurgen proved all the doubters wrong. If anything, most of us probably assumed Green was better than he was, given that he claimed a WC spot so easily.

6. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be good for him to get some senior match time this year. Hard to see many minutes at Bayern with at least Ribery, Robben, Shaqiri and Mueller ahead of him.

7. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody said 'everyone' however Simon Borg did say "it would be the lowest moment in USMNT WC history" among other over the top statements (~6:00):

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...scandal-if-julian-green-goes-brazil-plus-reve

As for BS posters well their comments are also a matter of record:
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...e-is-just-what-this-team-needs.2004271/page-6

8. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, but you do see how your post did not reflect what you just explained.

And how is what Matt Doyle saying wrong, let alone gutless. Is he wrong or gutless for not hyping up every player. Is he wrong for saying he doesn't believe that Green is going to be the next Ribery or Robben. Players that are once in a generation.

9. Gabriel_Ferrari_F50

May 3, 2007
    I know right! Haha, I knew it was coming. But man I just can't ditch this screen name.

10. 7211

7211 World Class

Jun 28, 2010
    No one really knew anything about Green. It's silly to pretend otherwise. The only thing I assumed was that Jurgen promised him a spot on the WC roster if he declared for the US. Which led me to believe he had a lot of potential.

As far as the narrative of people being down on Green, I think most were probably right to suggest he didn't "deserve" a roster spot. But then again, I don't know what the word "deserve" really means.

Sometimes you got to wheel and deal, and JK did that to land a kid he thought could help the US going forward. You may not agree with his decision, but his intention was to benefit US Soccer.

CTS26, Mahtzo1 and Mr Martin repped this.
  11. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I want to like your post, I really do...

14. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    The MLS bloggers hate everything German or Germerican. They'll find any excuse they can to criticize those players. I guess you can expect that, given their employers.

usry723 repped this.
  15. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doyle is a Grade A homer and idiot.