News: Óscar Pareja leaving for Xolos

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by ElJefe, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Zarco is a fantastic blast from the past. Would he make a good MLS coach? Not a single clue.

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been winning A LOT with Alianza. Now, I don't know if that's down to his coaching brilliance, or if it's because Alianza's got more resources than the competition, but there is that. At the end of the day, even if a club can buy a lot of players, they've got to have some level managerial competence to make that into championships.

That article struck me very much as someone throwing something against the wall and seeing if it stuck: "Hey, Zarco is doing well as a coach. And look, his old club in the USA is looking for a new coach. Maybe there's something there..."

Now, I have no idea how he'd fit in with FCD's organizational philosophy, but hey, he might be worth a look.

3. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    That's good to know and agree on your summation (see Toronto, or LA, etc).
    I do worry about the contention of "he knows MLS" - because that was so long ago it's like me saying, "I know my high school" - yeah, that thing is totally different than it was 30 (cough) years ago. Point being, just because he played in v1.0MLS, isn't really qualify as falling into the "pro" column.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually thing Tab Ramos might be a good fit. He's done increasingly well with his U20's and just annihilated the competition while playing three FCD players. A compromise between Luchi and another outsider. I think his current pressing style would lead to a lot of turnaround and give minutes to young hard working talented players. He also likes players who can shoot accurately even from distance so the eliminates a lot of current front guys. Might be a down year at first but would guess there'd be flashes. If RSL can do it with their academy then FCD can do it better with their better academy hopefully filled in with real HG's. Let the young up and comers be local kids instead of other federation's youth.

TCS35 repped this.
  5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wouldn't mind having Tab give it a go.

TCS35 repped this.
  6. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Tab would be a soothing replacement - but - I think it's safe to say he'll have better offers from LA or ATL (if they want him), and he may want to stay thru the U20 WC which is long into the MLS season. Frankly, there's more reason to doubt he'll end up in Frisco, than to believe he will.

7. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tab seems like a pretty good match for us. During one of the MLS playoff games I watched yesterday, the commentators said he was interested in an MLS head coaching job.

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were a betting man, I'd bet against the Gals or AUFC showing much interest in him. While AUFC has hired a grand total of one coach in their history, it was a guy with an established name (albeit one built on working with young players), and the Gals' track record with coaching hires is well established.

What I'm saying is that neither place is a "buy low and sell high" kind of organization, and while Tab is a hot name right now, he still feels like a coach where you're getting in closer to the ground floor rather than near the top, largely because he's never coached a senior-level team before.

TCS35 repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't know. LA and ATL both seem like clubs that'll make "big splash" coaching signings. No? How do you go from Tata Martino to Tab Ramos?

I'd rather have Ramos than Porter, Kreis, etc.

For me, Tab Ramos checks a lot of boxes. Bilingual speaker with a ton of experience working with young players. What is the median age of our team? 24? What is it if we take out the backup keepers (who are 2 of the 4 oldest players on the team)?

Tab Ramos has earned an MLS opportunity. In Dallas he'd be afforded the chance to grow and learn "on the job." There's unquestionably less pressure to win right away in Dallas than in ATL or LAG.

TCS35 repped this.
  11. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

Why not bring in a big name for FCD? Arsene Wenger, Zinadine, Zindane? Zindane is said to be good friends with Peter Luccin, assuming Lucin sticks around. FCD FO needs to think bigger. It worked well for ATL.

This would probably hurt the youth play at FCD but not many got opportunities the last two years under Parajea other than Reggie.

FCD needs big names to put butts in seats and build the fan base. Big coach and big players, Chicharito, Miguel Llayun, Griesman?

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You've surely been an FCD fan long enough to realize this isn't going to happen :)
    Not the "business model" of this club.

TCS35 repped this.
  13. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

Agree, but one can wish. Would love to see 70K for a playoff game ala ATL instead of 5K for a playoff game in Frisco.

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you appreciate how easy the Hunts make it to get playoff tickets? You surely would if the team had stars and was successful.

cowtown and Runhard repped this.
  15. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we could have "Plenty of good seats still available" integrated into our club crest.

Scipio Gothicus, ElJefe and VivaIslamico repped this.
  16. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I imagine 3 of Maxi, Barrios, Vic, and Gruezo.

18. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know their squad needs but Gruezo is a no-brainer. I’d actually think Hedges and Mosquera too. All three are good with whomever you play them with.

19. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Initially, the new coach should know that well before the season starts, that FCD will be mathematically eliminated from the MLS Cup.

I believe that I know who HSG will hire. He will not come chap, but is well know in certain circles, and has a strong Dallas connections.

Agustin Arteaga.

Can he motivate the team? No. Will the players respect him? No. Can he win games? Probably not. Does he know much about soccer? I really have no idea.

He is the Director of the Dallas Museum of Arts.

We have seen that HSG does not care about winning, but they do seem to be interested in museums.

Dead but dreaming,
    Scipio Daibolus,
    vox fatum.

Contra.

I am a conservative Republican. The president is neither.

SeventhRowScreamer repped this.
  20. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love it!

21. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the AP, OP was in the last 2 choices for USMNT coach. "(Earnie) Stewart compiled a list of 33 candidates, narrowed it to 11, and interviewed two". Of course, US Soccer picked wrong in the 50 / 50 shot.
    I know Sala did some FO work for Jacksonville Armada, so maybe he has some qualifications. My enduring memory of him is getting a handball called against him because he insisted on punting (needlessly) on the edge of the area. Eventually a ref called him on it. Sala seemed goofier than even most keepers.

23. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sala is some kind of coach at Atlanta currently.

24. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Did they really promote a ticket sales manager to be the GM of the entire USL team? I guess hocking tickets qualified you to be the head of the entire team, yes?