¡Hala Juve! - The 2018-2019 Other Players (and Teams) thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by unclesox, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    With all the backlog of matches piling up I wonder if UEFA would consider the following:
    Once matches are being played again and all quarter-finalists are known, hold the rest of both the Champions League and Europa League as mini-tournaments with one-off matches in a single country (Champions in Turkey, Europa in Poland since those countries are scheduled to host the finals).
    Quarterfinals can be played on a weekend... semis mid-week... Final on Saturday or Sunday.
    Boom, over and done with in one week.
    Or extend it two weeks if needed (three consecutive weekends).

©unclesox 12-03-2020 :p

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    IMO just because you have more chasing of the score doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. All tied up going in ET teams have no onus to score in the first place right ? Same deal if they are tied up after both score a goal. I guess you miss on some desperate few mins here and there given the situation. But for me it's not really that worth it.

Plus ... PKs are entertaining as well ... specially when Barca are not involved :ROFLMAO:

3. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I simply maintain my stance that any rule/format that greatly reduces the possibility of penalty kicks deciding which team advances/lifts a trophy will always have my support.

4. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Tournament cancelled.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I figured. They couldn't go on with what's going on . Other leagues calling it quits made their decision easy and would be terrible PR to have them play.

6. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't get why they don't give more of a try to that old idea of making extra times such that:

both teams are forced to lose a player every five minutes
    though both would start it 10v10 (not 11v11)
    first goal wins, but...
    after the goal, the other team has 5 minutes to try to answer
    no pks

after 20 minutes of play, both teams would have only have GK+5 player on the pitch. Goals guaranteed, entertainment guaranteed.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I dunno. When I see NHL or NBA doing best-of-7 series, that strikes me as a blatant/shameless attempt just to drag something out so that it makes more money. That's not the main message I get from a 2-game series. Two game series to me says "balance" more than anything. But that's just my subjective viewpoint.

Yeah, single KO is shorter but that isn't a logical option. Having a home base is a fundamental principle of team sports. Occasionally a neutral venue can work, like cup finals, but not every round.

8. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    I don't wanna make fun of Liverpool. Over 90 minutes yesterday, they played better than we have at any point this season. But really sometimes you get unlucky and your GK massively lets you down.

Oblak and Llorente were immense. Gotta also give them credit. With their performance in ET you can't really say Atletico didn't deserve it.

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This team has revolutionized time wasting ...

Umar repped this.
  10. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Agreed that they could squeeze more money out of it, like you said, for example, by making it a 7-match-series. I suppose it's a little bit of both: two-match isn't dictated by a solitary need of making it neutral, but it is a major element, and two-match isn't dictated only to make money, though that matters a lot.

11. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Premier League/England suspends futbol until March 4.
    Of the big five European leagues only the Bundesliga will play this weekend (without fans). And then beginning Tuesday it will be suspended.

12. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    More chasing may not be “the right thing” but it does lead to more excitement and drama. And isn’t that what we as fans (especially those paying to be at the stadium) want most?

Obviously, yes... at the start of extra time.
    But the later extra time drags on with a level aggregate the more likely both teams are willing to slow the everything down and settle for penalties.
    Away goals guarantees non-stop action once a goal is scored. Second goal and beyond continues the action til the end.

BocaFan repped this.
  13. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    The ref should have just added 35 minutes of extra time and sat back to see how many of the yellow carded players got a second yellow in extra time.

unclesox repped this.
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Strangely, Barca v Napoli is still planned to go ahead. But the plug will get pulled on that any minute I think.

If they are serious about playing that match, then they should play it this weekend, or Monday. No point waiting until Wednesday when things will be worse.

15. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I received an FCB alert a few hours ago (at least three hours ago) saying all of next week’s UEFA matches were postponed.
    https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/news/1644800

16. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Thiago slammed the Bundesliga for allowing matches to continue this weekend.

lol
    Now I just got an alert that, indeed, the Bundesliga have postponed everything.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Fukin idiots. If you're planning on cancelling Tuesday games why not already this weekend ?

So they were basically saying that they expect conditions to be too bad to have a game only after Sunday.

unclesox repped this.
  18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, different people are responsible for making those 2 separate decisions. So they are gonna be decided at slightly different times.

Copa Libertadores postponed starting next week but Brazilian state leagues championships go on (last I checked).

19. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    LigaMX looks to be still on so at least I have that to satisfy my weekend fix. I've actually been getting into it more and more the past few years. Usually root for Club Leon.

20. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The truth is that FeyenoordSoccerFan is correct, you are being really selective. You are picking a few critical comments and overblowing those. You will find those same types of comments under an article about just about every single Dutch player. I have already mentioned several times how critical and direct Dutch people are, it is their main stereotype. Seriously, read any article about any player, for example the Dutch golden boys Matthijs de Ligt and Frenkie de Jong, and tell me there are not a significant amount of haters every single time. Hell, even Van Dijk has haters! You really are over-exaggerating the situation with Dest and USA, truly no one really cares that much, especially not now.

Lets be honest; biases aside the timing of the things he said in his last interview wasn't great right? He just got into a spat with the captain of the team for not listening, and then a few days later releases an interview wherein he says that he doesn't care what others say to him and only listens to himself. Any player would get roasted for that, and you will see that similarly 'outspoken/rebellious' youth players such as Noa Lang were treated exactly the same (in the case of Noa Lang, even worse - which also led to him being sent away from Ajax). You are clutching at straws if you think this has ANYTHING to do with choosing for the US. Mazraoui made the same decision last season while in exactly the same position and that hasn't changed opinions on him either. Mazraoui by the way also gets his fair share of critique and was seen by many last year as the weak-link in the Ajax team. Dumfries the starting RB for Oranje is in the same situation, he gets a huge amount of critique and is considered the weak link of the Oranje team. The critique has nothing to do with whether you do or don't play for Oranje.

What I will agree with is that the critique on Dest has changed in the last months, coincidentally around the time of the decision. But, as you learn in school, correlation does not equal causation. There are two very simple explanations for why the critique has changed.

1. The role of Dest in the team:
    At the start of the season very few people really knew anything about Dest. When our starting RB Mazraoui went down, it forced Ten Hag to throw in a fairly unknown Ajax youth player (Dest). To everyones elation, Dest was (and is) a perfectly serviceable replacement. For a youth player with no 1st team experience that is all you can ask. So people were quite happy that a youth player was able to step up and fill in the role for the injured Mazraoui. Therefore, as with almost all players, critique was lightened because he was being judged as a youth player, not as a first team player. Also, Ajax was performing very well so critique of Ajax players in general was less. Now, things have changed. Dest is a full international for the USA, Dest has been the starting RB since the start of the season, and he was 'apparently' linked with Bayern Munich. That means that Dest no longer has the luxury of being judged as the youthful and servicable back-up to Mazraoui, but rather as the starting RB. Obviously this means that his role within the team becomes more important and that expectations for him grow. With higher expectations, comes more harsh critique. That is exactly what you are seeing right now.

Surely you see the difference in this? It is the same with someone like Schuurs. He makes so many mistakes but people at first allowed it because they understood he was a youth player and still needed to build up experience. But once Schuurs gets a bigger role and becomes the starting centerback, the expectations of him will be much greater and if he still continues to make those errors people will critique him harshly and soon demand for a new CB. This is the same for every player and can also be seen in Noa Lang who was getting hyped up massively last season and during pre-season as a youth player, but then very quickly got heavily critiqued by the Dutch once he made the step to the first team at the start of this season. Again - nothing to do with USA.

2. The Dutch Culture and Dest's personality:
    The second reason why I believe you may see people more hateful towards Dest is simply because of the Dutch culture ande Dest's personality. Dutch people, especially the older generations, pride themselves on being 'nuchter' - there's not really a perfect translation for this but Google Translate claims 'sober'. I would say it is basically the exact opposite of being 'extra'.

Because of this you will see that players who have an extravagant lifestyle and are 'swaggy' tend to get hated on quite a bit by certain groups in the Netherlands. Perfectly examples of this are: Depay, Promes and Noa Lang. For whatever reason because of the way that those players talk, dress, their perceived cockiness and their extracurricular activities some Dutch people just hate them. I have always thought it was ridiculous and honestly a little bit seeded in racism. Dest unfortunately is finding himself in the same situation with that group.

As I mentioned at the start of the season no one really knew who Dest was so no one could really hate him for his personality. Now since he is a regular team player and doing more interviews, people are getting to know him better. Unfortunately this means that those fans who hate players like Promes, Noa Lang and Depay are also now jumping on Dest because of his perceived cockiness. It's not everyone but it does explain why there are some haters. Again, you can be as selective as you want but you will find these same haters on any article about any Dutch player, especially the ones I mentioned above.

Again, this has nothing to do with the USA.

So in conclusion - yes, opinions of Dest have changed. However, no, these absolutely do not have to do with him choosing USA. Again, how does it make any sense that those people would prefer Mazraoui over Dest if it has to do with choosing for another national team? Mazraoui literally did the exact same thing.

You will also find that a lot of it is THANKS to the USA and their fans. Before this Dest was judged as a capable youth player with great potential, but still things to improve. USA fans (such as the ones here) have absolutely hyped him up, literally calling him a superstar and bragging about how he is being linked with Bayern (a fan here literally tagged me to brag about that). Surely you see how this will make critique on him more extreme? If you guys are going to sell him as a superstar then he will be judged as a superstar. And the truth is, at this moment he still absolutely is not a superstar. He is a talented youth player who makes youthful mistakes but has also shown he has great potential and can perform at a very acceptable level despite being very young.

21. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    @DutchFanatic
    How/Why on earth did you bring this topic into this (Barcelona) forum/thread?!
    That quote is from the USA forum. :confused:

evil_allan repped this.
  22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Planning for the post Messi era ? :ROFLMAO:

23. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Lol, sorry my internet crashed and then I must have accidentally posted it in the wrong thread upon reset.

Can a mod please delete that post?

24. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil