MLS Teams in InterLiga 2005

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by futbol571, Jan 18, 2004.

1. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Would you like to see MLS teams compete against Mexican teams in the InterLiga 2005 tournament?

2. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think most people would. The only downside is it's smack dab in the MLS offseason. The two MLS sides would have to coalesce WAY earlier than usual.

I don't think it has a chance of happening before 2006 though, if not later.

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is why MLS/SUM helped host and televise these games. I bet it will happen one of these years.

4. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I would think this is actually a positive.

5. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, besides the fact that our teams would be worn out from a season of soccer. The off season is a time of great turmoil in MLS. You have alot of contract negotiation going on, players leaving, incoming players, Rookie scouting, the draft, and it denies the players rest for next season. Which is not only unfair to them, but could increase the number of injuries sustained during the following year. That being said, I'm sure the scheduling could be worked out in the future. I think it's only a matter of time before you see MLS teams competing in this tournament. Even if it's only the cup winner(s).

6. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    As long as we actually face off against Mexican teams in a proper format. None of this stuff about keeping MLS and MFL teams apart until the later stages. If MLS is to move forward, we must begin to beat MFL clubs in real competitions on a regular basis.

Sachin

7. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Well the purpose of the tournament (other than making money) is to determine the Libertadores spots. We are not invited to the Libertadores. Mexico basically boughts their spots and we do not generate that kind of money. Add to that the Interliga is drawing very good crowds without MLS, and I do not really see us playing in it any time soon.

I honestly see no incentive for the Interliga to include MLS teams. I would like to see it happen, but I just do not think it will.

8. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

The spots that Mexico gets are theirs to do with as they please, and since Interliga is being run by SUM and hosted in the United States, should SUM/MLS stipulate that MLS clubs be in the tournament to not only play Mexican clubs but also compete for Libertadores berths, I imagine they'll put up a small fight but eventually concede if they continue to want our money.

That's the incentive.

9. EscoDU01

EscoDU01 New Member

May 24, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they should be involved. I was quite surprised with the quality and competitive drive of the Mexican teams in the Interliga. This is a tournament that their teams want to win (unlike the Concalaugh trophy). Inclusion of MLS teams, regardless of a spot in the Copa Toyota, could only be a good thing. Our National team is way ahead of our club teams when it comes to even competing with Mexican sides.

10. MarlinS

MarlinS New Member

Apr 20, 2003
    San Antonio
    It is not much different for the MFL teams since the touney takes place during their winter break, or whatever it is called, when many team changes occur. The lack of down time for a team such asthe MLS Cup winner - who would also take part in the CONCACAF Champions Cup - would be a concern. But considering that the more successful teams in Europe can play almost 60, or more, games a year...

11. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Are u sure they can do with the spots as they please. When I said they bought their way into the Libertadores, I did not mean with upfront money, although that could be the case. I believe that the money generated thoughout the Liberatores is shared. So why would CONMEBOL want to play MLS teams and lose money for each game they play in the US. They make money playing Mexican teams.

Now lets assume that that is not the point of view on CONMEBOL. If Mexico has paid for their inclusion upfront, they definitly need to play in the tournment to make money. Why would Mexico pay for the MLS teams to be in the Libertadores? Why would Televisa pay for the rights to the games only to be stuck losing a lot of money with MLS teams.

I think that whatever profits Mexico gets from the Interliga would not offset the loss of money and presige of not playing in the Libertadores. If the SUM-run Interliga tournament insists on MLS teams competing for LIB spots, the Mexican teams will just abandon SUM. They can organize their own tournament in the states if they like. There are plenty of independent stadia that would love the revenue. Champions World Tour did it without SUM/MLS.

AGAIN, I would love to see us in the Libertadores and see us play more meaningful games vs Mexican teams. But practically (financially) speaking, we will never the place of a Mexican team.

12. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

That won't always be the case. Mexico went to SUM for a reason. HDC is a prime venue, and SUM and all related entities control other prime venues. If Interliga decides to play at Nowhere, Kansas Municipal Field and Hot Dog Stand, that's their perogative.

And they did buy their spots from another country. It is theirs to do with as they wish. They could give it to Yokohama Marinos if they wanted. It's not like there will never be a financial incentive for the US to play in Libertadores.

Christ, don't be so f***in' cynical.

13. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true, but they do so with rosters far larger than we have. Player fatigue comes into affect moreso with MLS players because of the smaller rosters and increase in travel.

14. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    but considering that they have double the roster sizez plus reserve and youth teams...

15. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I am not being cynical. I am being realistic about the CURRENT financial situations of the tournaments. And please do not "curse" it is beneath you as a person and fan of the USMNT. And I do fervently hope that "that won't always be the case" as you say.

PREVIOUSLY, Mexico had purchased playoffs with Venezualan teams with the blessing of CONMEBOL. They now get direct spots as a result of both their level of play and the money they can provide (and in that sense they buy the spots). If they could not provide revenue, they would not be in the Libertadores. I would be very surpised if CONMEBOL allowed Mexico to provide its spots to MLS. It is CONMEBOL's tournament and they dictate the rules. Just as MLS should dictate the rules to any Mexican teams that invest in MLS.

As for SUM and the stadium situations. AFAIK SUM has control of HDC, but what else. Does SUM have the right to refuse the let the teams play in the Cotton Bowl, Soldier Field, or any other fields used, but not owned by SUM/MLS? That is a real question, does anybody know? But I cannot image the stadium owners giving away that sort of control. If the only real leverage is HDC, that is not enough.

And even if SUM has right of refusal to some of these other stadiums, that would still not be enough. We still have the Coliseum and Rose Bowl in LA, Reliant and Robertson in Houston, and probably several other places the Southwest that I am not aware of. Not to mention, when the Burn and Fire get their new digs, the Cotton Bowl and Soldier Field will again be available. They might make less money overall, but they will still make a good profit.

Of course I cannot imagine that the "MLS in Interliga" situation would ever escalate to knock-down drag-out fight between SUM and Mexico. Right now, everybody is making money and there is good will. That is good for everybody, including MLS.

AND heaven forbid if worse comes to worse and both Mexico and SUM get really stupid and ruin a good thing and any form of Interliga ceases to exist (unlikely as I have explained above), Mexico can just take their marbles and go home. They managed to somehow send teams to the Liberatores before Interliga and will figure out some other way. BUT this should never happen. When MLS teams deserve the be in the Libertadores (financially speaking) CONMEBOL will come knocking. Of course our continual refusal to play Copa America probably does not endear us to Conmebol

16. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Originally posted by Roehl Sybing

That won't always be the case. Mexico went to SUM for a reason.

Are you sure its not the other way around. You think a double header headlined by Chivas/America wouldnt easily draw 60k at the L.A Coliseum. Especially with all the squads bringing in their starting players.

HDC is a prime venue, and SUM and all related entities control other prime venues.

HDC is over rated and over priced. I like the atmosphere it can generate because 27k at the L.A Coliseum wont sound as exciting as 27k at the HDC.. Still i remember when 20$ got you a first come first serve ticket at the Coliseum and you could get tickets on match day. There were many people that tried to buy tickets for InterLiga on matchday, Idiots, lol..

And they did buy their spots from another country. It is theirs to do with as they wish.

No no and no.. NO.. Your wrong, all your post is wrong and im having fun with it. LOL.. The FMF never bought their spots they payed money to have a playoffs against Venezuelan teams. There was some cases where the Venezuelan teams would take one of the spots. It happened once or twice cant remember. Now CONMEBOL has given the FMF three spots, the third one will come effective in 2005 this because of the rating FMF teams give FSW which is a mayor sponser of CL and in the U.S well the Mexie teams get the highest ratings..

Now for 2005 the FMF will have Pachuca and Monterrey plasy for the third spot as a gift for taking one for the league as they will play TFC CC. However in 2006 the third spot will be up for grabs. Now if teh FMF accepts to participate in Copa Sudamericana (South Americas UEFA Cup) then they will have 7 teams playing International tourneys 3 CL 2 CS and 2 TFC CC.. Im willing to bet they wouldnt mind having the MLS Champ participate in Interliga. On MLS Club against 7 FMF clubs you gotta like those odds.. so by 2006 who knows anything is possible.. No one gave a chance for Mexico to play in South American competitions, then they took Copa America by storm after that they said well ok but not Copa Libertadopres, now they are giving Mexico 3 spots. You know WCQ Qualifiers are next.

17. robviii

robviii Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Chicago
    This is a stupid thread. Who would say no?

18. Machetazo

Machetazo Member

Mar 20, 2002
    L.A.
    great idea

This would be great, the MLS paying for its teams to participate in the Interliga. The MLS will pay good $$$ to the MFL so that our teams can wipe the floor with their teams,nice deal ;)
    It will be like taking candy from a baby. :D

19. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Re: great idea

Originally posted by Machetazo

It will be like taking candy from a baby.

The MLS is not that stupid.. Im quite sure we will be seeing Chivas USA and San Jose America or Earthquakes America competing in Interliga and it would be a no lose situation for either side. All your base are belong to us..

:) :)

20. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Re: great idea

Didn't the sudacas say the same thing about letting you guys play in Libertadores in the first place? Don't forget where you came from.

21. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    VS, although Concacaf never officially dropped their alternate identity as "the football confederation", virtually nobody calls 'em that way anymore (including Concacaf themselves).

And rightfully so...
    The Football Confederation?

:rolleyes:

22. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Re: Re: great idea

Originally posted by kpaulson

Didn't the sudacas say the same thing about letting you guys play in Libertadores in the first place?

This is true.. As a matter of fact they didnt even want the MFL teams participating at all. MFL is South Americas uninvited guest that has made themselves at home. Now with their economic crisis we are their new bestest friends.. It was the soccer savy Eduardo Aguirre that conjured the deal between the Venezuelan FA to get the Mexie teams into Copa Libertadores..

Originally posted by SwissGCZ

VS, although Concacaf never officially dropped their alternate identity as "the football confederation", virtually nobody calls 'em that way anymore (including Concacaf themselves).

True that but it easier to Type and im lazy :D

23. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    ... and considering that MLS team have nowhere near the roster depth...

I'd have to say we need to wait until we can afford deeper rosters on our teams, though I'd love to see us compete in the tournement.

24. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Re: Re: Re: great idea

CCC is even shorter... ;)