4 Nations Tournament 2004 (Pre-Tourney)

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Woody-99, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    4 Nations Tournament 2004

According to an article on the swedish newspaper Aftonbladet the 4NT will be played in January 2004 in China.
    This time, instead of Norway, the host China has invited Sweden, Germany and the USA.
    http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/story/0,2789,391657,00.html

Edit: It doesn't seem to be 100% sure that Sweden will be playing. Marika Domasky-Lyfors would like to participate with her team but budget questions aren't totally solved.
    Another link: http://www.expressen.se/expressen/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=354&a=80183

2. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    hey-

they dates are january 26 to feb 10 for 4Nations ... and that the final four teams hasn't been finalized yet ... and perhaps a debut for some other teams besides sweden??

elaine

3. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    Hi elaine,
    just curious, but how do you know the exact dates?

4. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    though the grape vine ... lol :p

w/o saying too much, as i mentioned in my first post, i think there will definitely be other "new" teams at 4 nations, and i'm sure you can put two and two together and figure out which team that will be and how i know etc. lol

elaine

5. auger9

auger9 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    Ontario
    if there is any new team(s), it'll only be Sweden (taking Norway most likely). I can't see the US not being invited. Germany won the WC. And China's host. No luck for canada IMO unless of course they have more than 4 teams.

6. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    china is hosting, and not all the other teams have been 100% confirmed ... so the other 3 spots need ot be filled ... until there's an official announcement on the 4 teams playing, i would say that there could be some changes to who'll be there then the ones stated before/already!! (from the traditional 4N teams etc.)

hint hint nudge nudge wink wink ;) lol

elaine

7. auger9

auger9 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    Ontario
    lolz!

when are they announcing the schedule etc?

8. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    Thanks, no idea what team could be meant :D
    Okay, I see. Germany has a Euro qualifier on February 7. That's why I asked the question about the dates. I thought the tournament has only been 1 week long the years before. So maybe Germany will have to decline the invitation.

9. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    good work! lol :p

so it looks like germany won't be at 4 nations, and ANOTHER country might be! ...

as for when there's an official announcement ... no clue. i don't think the 4N ppl ever do annouce stuff (i don't think they have a site???) but hopefully there will be some info from the respective soccer associations ...

elaine

10. auger9

auger9 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    Ontario
    hmmmm.... "might" or "will"??
    lol geee i wonder........

11. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    change of dates

hey guys-

heard that the dates have been changed a bit ... the tourney will run from jan 23 to feb 4 ...

four teams have been confirmed ... two new teams will make their 4N debut in place of norway and germany.

elaine

12. GREGPITT

GREGPITT Red Card

Dec 1, 2003
    Philly, PA
    i believe the 4 nat tourney is for the four strongest teams in the world, so, probably it should be cancelled next year, due to the absence of Germany.

13. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    i disagree.

it's unfortuante that germany could not take part this year because of scheduling conflict, but to say that the 4N is just for the "strongest four nations in the world" and nobody else is wrong. i doubt china, after their performance at WWC03 can be seen as top 4 in the world right now ... as long as high quality teams are playing, i'm all for it, regardless if they are the strongest 4 in the world.

elaine

14. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    I agree. Of all teams, the one that has to be there is Germany as champions. Anything else is second rate.

15. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    After all the griping on these boards about the lack of quality competitions you want to cancel the 4NT because Germany can't attend? How does that make sense? What's the upside?

16. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    Wow, Elaine is so good informed, I'm a bit frightened she might work for the canadian secret service ;)
    It's officially written on the swedish homepage
    http://www.svenskfotboll.se/t2.asp?p=7182
    So the 4NT will take place with Sweden, China, the US and Canada.
    Date is given with Jan 28 - Feb 10

On a side note: It's also mentioned that Sweden will also play at Algarve Cup in the same group as the USA, Denmark and France. I doubt we will see all this teams have to offer by then.
    Germany will probably also miss this tournament as well.

17. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    you never know ;) i do watch ALIAS obsessively, so maybe i'm gunning for a gov't job when i get out of school ... hhmmm...
    i heard last week that the tourney was moved up to run from jan 23-feb4 ... maybe they moved it back a few days to what i originally reported??

elaine

18. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    Justice has been done. Great Canadians have displaced Germany for good.

19. auger9

auger9 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    Ontario
    elaine, do you have any indication who canada will play at algarve?

20. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    unfortunately, my crystal ball cannot see that far into the future ... :D

not even sure if we're going to algarve, but it should be expected that we will be ...

elaine

21. auger9

auger9 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    Ontario
    mwaahaahaa. Never mind, I found it.
    Group B
    Finland
    Canada
    China
    Norway
    1st game is against china...

22. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  23. Hemmelig

Hemmelig New Member

Jan 5, 2004
    Location?

From the FIFA site it seems that the dates for the four nations have been set but what about the location? Do any of you know where the games are being played? Shanghai? What about ticket sales? How does one go about purchasing tickets? I am currently in South Korea and it is only a short trip over to China. If any of you can point me in the right direction I would be very thankful!

24. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    Re: Location?

I pulled this from an article:

All six matches of the tournament will be played in Shenzhen, China, located just north of the bustling metropolis of Hong Kong in southern China.

25. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Re: Re: Location?

grr...the one time i wished i was living back in hong kong! lol :D

anywho, i know which city is that ... i think. i think that's the english equivilent to it, and it's very close to HK ... just a short train ride away.

my dad broke his leg there once when he was on a business trip ... he was getting off a taxi and didn't realize that the next to the taxi there was an open man-hole (ppl were working underground), and his right leg fell into the hole (the rest of his body did not) and broke his other leg. lol

yes, that was off-topic ... anywho ....

elaine