11/9 DC at Chicago TICKET INFO FOR TRAVELING DC FANS

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by gocaps, Oct 28, 2003.

1. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    The Screaming Eagles have reserved a block of seats in Section 101 at Soldier Field in Chicago for the playoff game on November 9th.

Tickets are being sold at the group rate of $20 each. There is also a $3 fee per order (i.e. 2 tickets would cost $43). To order tickets in the section, you need to fax a form to the Fire's ticket office with your credit card information, and your tickets will be there for you at Will Call on the day of the match.

I'm going to try to post a link to the form online here, but until I can figure that out, e-mail me at roadtrips@screaming-eagles.com to get the form.

We have 100 seats reserved at the front of the section, so bring your DC shwag to put up. And bring home a win!

2. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for putting this together.

FYI, to see where 101 is (lower deck corner on side with DC United's bench), see the seating chart here:
    http://www.chicago-fire.com/stadium/seatingchart.asp

3. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Section 101

Nice location :rolleyes:

5. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Mad props to any and all supporters who make the trip to Chicago. I'll be screaming loud enough from my living room that you may hear me. My neighbors are gonna kill me. ;)

6. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Re: Section 101

It's where he put me. And I'm happy with it.

If you've ever been on a roadtrip, you know that a corner or endline location is best for traveling supporters - that way, you ensure that you can stand up throughout the game and yell whatever you want without pissing off families who have brought 5 year olds to the stadium.

Believe it or not, this has been an issue in a number of the places we've been to.

7. carolinab

carolinab Member+

Aug 21, 2000
    D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bermuda
    Thanks for doing this Paul! :)

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though I can't go, big ups to Paul and the rest of the SEs who put this together.

9. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Thanks, Paul.

Section 101 looks good to me. If I'm not mistaken, it's also on the "TV" side, which means the media whores among us will get a little pub ;) .

Anyone book hotel reservations for Saturday night yet?

10. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm trying to see what I can find. Stay tuned.

11. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Re: Re: Section 101

Good point. I'm sure folks at RFK wouldn't complain about you standing though. ;)

Believe me, I wish I could go. Hope you all have a great time!

13. Isn't sec. 101 the section from which Tinky Winky made his brash jailbreak from the stands onto the field a couple of years ago, only to get rubbed against Josh Wolff's groin and so rudely tossed to the ground?

Methinks he's planning another appearance.

14. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check your PMs.

15. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have some SE banners (and tape and ties), who can take some? I need a few for the viewing party, details coming VERY soon!

Also, I recall you needed passes for instruments so if the Bomba or anything else is going have Paul check with the ticket agent on what you need to get them in.

K

16. carolinab

carolinab Member+

Aug 21, 2000
    D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bermuda
    K, I can take 'em.

Any plans to meet up in Chicago, fellow crazy traveling people?

17. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You will need instrument passes, security has gotten better as of late, but they're still new to this whole "soccer fan" thing.

You'll be seeing something like this: http://www.chicagobears.com/facilit...ubnav_key=nsf&show_rail=no&show_headline=true

If you have never been to Chicago before, follow Kim to the Berghoff, well worth your time if you like German food and a house beer receipe dating back far before the term "microbrewery."

Also recommended is Michigan Ave (where the shops are), a stop for Garrett's fresh carmel popcorn, and the bar at the top of the John Hancock building will be a good place to stop. The same view, but without the charge to get to the observatory AND you can drink. The elevator is a bit hidden off in a corner, but don't be afraid to ask security for the Signature Lounge. Sunset is best, and if you stop into the Cheesecake Factory at the base of the tower for some kick-ass cheesecake, you may just run into Jerry Springer, who lives in the building.

Fans of the famous SNL "Cheeseburger, cheeseburger" sketch should stop in at Billy Goat's Tavern under Michigan Ave across the street from the Tribune Building. No Pepsi, Coke.

The Tribune Building is worth a stop as well, various stones from buildings from across the world adorn the Gothic walls, the moon rock may still be there, I'm not sure. If you have time, it's a great city for architecture, both new and old, the river tour is worth it as well.

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This place is great. What endeared it to GrillMaster and I the first time, when we stumbled on it completely by accident, is that it has Illinois Liquor License # 1 :) They also have their own wonderful bourbon (2 or 3 different proofs) and the best (and only) red cabbage I've ever had. Good bread too.
    I have been to Chicago quite a few times now, all for soccer games - but I have yet to go to a blues club there...... I did end up up on stage with a cowbell in a funk band with GrillMaster once..... same night I saw Lastort the drunkest I've ever seen him, oh the memories :)
    I want to hear you guys that make it, I'll have the sound turned up!

19. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Thanks for the info, Jeff. Any recommendations for clubs featuring kick-mahone Irish music? I'm particularly partial to the Tossers, but I haven't been able to find out if they're playing the night of the 8th.

20. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No problem. It's been a few years since I lived there, but I would check www.chicagoreader.com or www.newcitychicago.com for listings, those are thw two weeklies. I prefer the Reader. I know the Fire have set up viewing parties in the past with Fado on 100 W Grand, so they will be soccer friendly to say the least.

Those interested in Blues need go no further than Kingston Mines, 2548 N. Halsted. I prefer the more laid back Blue Chicago 736 N. Clark, but Kingston Mines usually has a great variety.

21. FearCityFire

FearCityFire Member

Aug 6, 2003
    MDSCHQ War Room
    unfortunately the Tossers just played last week so i doubt they will be playing again soon. Dropkick Murphys will be here the night of the 7th.

22. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other comments, some based on previous posts, some not.

If you go to the Billy Goat, I'd have a couple of beers there, then leave. The food is overrated.

I want that picture of Hermann Berghoff posting liquor license #1 on the wall after the repeal of Prohibition!

For Blues, I like Buddy Guy's. Never been to Kingston Mines (on the short list of places to go), Blue Chicago was good, too. At Buddy's, there are two acoustic sets starting at 6, an opener, and then a headline. Music usually stops around 2.

Miller's Pub is another good restaurant in the South Loop. Unlike Berghoff, it's open on Sunday. If you like Weiss beer though, go to the Berghoff. Note--the Berghoff closes about 9 or so.

23. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    True, but it's all about being pressured into getting The Special. :D

24. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i bought my plane ticket--i am glad i checked, i almost thought the game was saturday the 8th not sunday the 9th.

i was thinking of just staying at one of the ohare airport hotels, would that make it hard to get to and from the game?

25. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Yeah, I saw that, but there's no way I can get to Chicago Friday night...so close, and yet so far!

As far as travel goes, since kickoff is noon central, I'm thinking about changing my flight from the 9:40pm to the 6:40pm (both out of Midway). Assuming (don't laugh) that by some miracle the match goes to penalties and doesn't end until 3pm, would 3 hours and 40 minutes be enough time to get to Midway and checked in?