DaMarcus Beasley's MLS Season in "Statistical" Perspective

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Karl K, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Earlier this season, we had a couple of lively threads going about DMB, with some entertaining back-and-forth about the guy -- scorer or not a scorer, technical shortcomings vs. speed, abilkty to cross or not, durability vs getting pounded, and so forth.

Well, the MLS season is in the books, and I thought I'd present a sampling of numerical items about DMBs season so as to provide still yet ANOTHER opportunity to discuss, arguably, our most intriguing young American star.

Here we go:

--DMB finished the season with 19 points in 22 MLS games. That is the same number of points as Clint Mathis in the same number of games. 13 players had more points than him -- of those 13, 10 could be considered more or less full time forwards.

--Meanwhile, DMB took just 45 shots this season, to score his 7 goals. This amounts to fewer than half the shots of many of the scorer-types ahead of him in the points category. Compare that to Twellman (90), Razov (119), Ralph (91), Spencer (81), Preki (92), Ruiz (85). Donovan in contrast took just 52 shots to score his 12 goals.

--He didn't break the 100 fouls suffered mark, as I had predicted, but he came awfully close with 96 total. He suffered a foul every 20 minutes. Closest competitor in this category was Carlos "Do you like my Speedos?" Ruiz with 87 FS, followed by Ben Olsen, with 80. Despite the pounding, he finished the seasons strong and is rested heading into the playoffs.

Bottom line, I think this a typical MLS season from DMB, and would expect him to gather points at the USMNT level somewhere between half to two thirds the pace.

However, I will say that in the run-up to the Open Cup championship, he was undoubtedly the Fire's most potent offensive weapon, and may reprise that role in the playoffs, when the stakes are suitably high.

2. Emre5

Emre5 New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    chelsea,the death of
    statistics are for baseball, man. i can tell you dmb played well this year from watching games, not reading boxscores

3. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Well, we can be glad you're coming to the same conclusions. However's Karl's argument has a little bit more credibility than yours. For instance, I could say "Jesse Marsch was the best player on the Fire this year, I can tell you that from watching games," but that won't make it true.

Of course, I agree with you. If the Fire hadn't had strong seasons from both forwards, Boca and comeback kid Armas, DMB might have heard a lot more MVP chatter.

4. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually in fewer minutes, but still a significant number, Cancela's fouls suffered rate was a bit higher suffering a fould every 18 minutes or so.

Next I have Martino, Ruiz, Alejandro Moreno and Brian McBride.

Still, I think DaMarcus had an excellent season and it's a tough call whether he or Mark Chung should make the left wing spot in the MLS first XI.

5. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice info, Karl.

Maybe statistics are for baseball, but they're also for agents.

6. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    I "miswrote" -- I only calculated fouls per minute for DMB; didn't to imply he lead that category, but rather just the gross number of fouls suffered.

Speaking of Chung, I hadn't been following his season, but boy, he sure did put up some gaudy numbers, didn't he?

7. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes he did. Still, I think you can make the argument for DaMarcus, particularly when you consider that tracking back on defense is a strength for DaMarcus and a bit of a weakness for Chung. Also, all those fouls mean _something_ but it's hard to say how much. Factor in Chicago's record and it's very close.

Interesting how Donovan and Beasley both had their best statistical seasons so far. Also strange was the abnormally few times Donovan was caught offside.

8. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    He's fast enough he doesn't need to try to get the offside head start.

9. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that opposing defenses aren't pushing up much when they face Donovan.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Beasley

Karl -

I was wrong about Beasley this year and you were right. I thought he had already peaked and you thought he was still improving. You were correct.

Far from being misleading, the statistics offer a quick & accurate summary of Beasley's improvement in 2003. This year, DMB improved his off-the-ball movement, decision making, and shooting accuracy. He also was more aggressive in terms of taking on defenders. As a result, he was more effective offensively -- a fact that was recognized by his statistics, as he picked up 19 points, 8 points more than his previous high effort.

This year, for the first time, Beasley was one of the league's top players. For the first time, I can also see him playing top-division European soccer and being effective. I think that time is rapidly approaching.

11. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Re: Beasley

I've never seen anyone on BS admit they were wrong before. Not even that guy who was trying to use statistics to show that Sunderland would improve after Reyna got hurt.

12. spike

spike Member

Feb 22, 2001
    Tejas
    Re: Re: Beasley

I say we banish him.

13. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Thanks for the props, JR, but even if DMB stays in MLS next year (which I doubt, but is possible) and actually has a decline in stats (which I would also doubt), he still remains for me THE most dynamic and exciting US soccer player this side of some Ghanian emigre teenager that folks can't seem to stop talking about.

As you and I have discussed in other venues, I believe this year DMB, despite his numbers, actually CONSERVED his energy for the bigger more important games -- as he did in the Open Cup semi-final, a truly jaw-dropping performance.

There are few -- all too few -- players in MLS today who, when they have the ball at their feet, and are face up to goal, force you to have one hand on the edge of your seat and the other hand on the defibrillator.

DMB falls into that category for sure.

For him, the future's so bright, we gotta wear two pairs of shades. Possibilities for him over the next 10 years?

--An Open Cup and MLS Cup medal in his final season in the states.

--Along with Friedel and perhap that Ghanian kid, he becomes our most recognizable American star on the world stage, as he lights up a league in either England, Spain, or Italy.

--An Olympic medal.

--75+ total national team caps, 20+goals, a half-dozen or so MOTM performances. He may single-handedly win a number of key qualifiers for us.

--Two world cups to add to the one in '02. He will be just 28 years old at the 2010 WC, and should be at the peak of his career. He'll still be REALLY fast, and have 10 years of 1st division experience under his belt, combing those great athletic gifts with quantum leaps in technique and professonal cunning.

Really, it makes you just get shivers if you stop and think about it. Of course, so many things COULD go wrong --serious injury, lack of discipline, a dozen awful things -- yet, as a sort of wild-eyed optimist, I try to see only the beautiful possibilities.

And if all DOES pan out, it will have been wondrous to behold.

14. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My biggest complaint about Donovan is that he is sometimes not aggressive enough. We've all seen Landon completely humiliate defenders off the dribble. There's a Costa Rican waiting with Diego Gutierrez for an ankle donor to replace the ones Landon ruined.

He doesn't go for the kill enough, which is why he seems sometimes to score goals in bunches. He finds the back of the net and all of the sudden blood is in the water and then one of the greatest players in the world shows up for the rest of the game.

DaMarcus has that. Every time DaMarcus gets the ball, you can tell he at least considers trying to take his man on the dribble. In Beasley's last goal this year, the grossly overmatched Wes Hart backpedaled right into the six yard box, terrified of Beasley racing by him. Hart watched as Beasley dribbled into the box and scored without Hart ever stepping up and making a challenge. Donovan needs to show more of that killer instinct.

I'd like to see some Euro club buy the both of the m actually, because it would not only be great for our national team for them to play together all the time, but has the potential to create some of the most entertaining soccer ever created by Americans.

15. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    I really doubt DMB conserves energy (and I'm not trying to argue w/ you) but rather that players like him in soccer or any sport turn it up a notch when it counts. Guess I just don't like to think that he's giving less than 100% (probably not what you meant).

This is the X-factor. Can a 125 pounder take the punishment that internationals take? He was out of the WC after 1 ½ games after being hammered by the South Koreans for 60 minutes.

anyway..."beautiful possibilities"? "Wonderous to behold"? Were you drunk when you wrote this? :D

16. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    DMB is not that light...I'd say he's probably around 150 now...

17. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well as long as we're introducing statistical evidence, why not a little video evidence courtesy of MLSnet (files are .wmv files:

DaMarcus uses his speed to get to a lose ball and finishes despite being brought down in the box:

http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=ml...32003_NECHIbeasley.asf&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

DaMarcus strips wes Hart and then draws a penalty that Razov converts.

http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=ml...252003_COLCHIrazov.asf&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

DaMarcus won't be on Wes Hart's Christmas list as he strips him at midfield, and runs for glory to score at the far post.

http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=ml...2003_COLCHIbeasley.asf&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

Beasley gets behind the defense and races in, crosses to it looks like Damani Ralph, but it slides in front of Ralph to Justin Mapp who buries it.

http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=ml...5252003_COLCHImapp.asf&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

Beasley takes it at the top of box and hits a tremendous far post strike.

http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=ml...12003_CHISJbeasley.asf&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

Nate Jaqua with a great run as he either crosses or shoots, Beasley's speed beats the offside and is first to the ball at the goal line for the tap in.

http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=ml...2003_CHISJbeasley2.asf&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

DaMarcus returns from the Gold Cup and makes a long run where he skins Duncan Oughton before being knocked over by Mike Clark in the box. Razov converts the penalty.

http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=ml...132003_CHICLBrazov.asf&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

DaMarcus sends in a perfect early cross to Razov who volleys home.

http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=ml...8162003_DCCHIrazov.asf&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

DaMarcus just misses the initial through ball, but when Ryan Nelsen muffs the clearance, DaMarcus pounces and beats Rimando.

http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=ml...62003_DCCHIbeasley.asf&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

A lose ball heads toward the Galaxy goal and DaMarcus races by several better positioned players to get there first and finish past an onrushing Hartman. Speed!

http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=ml...42003_LACHIbeasley.asf&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

My favorite play of his for the year: he beats four defenders and dribbles out of the corner to lay off for Marsch who scores.

http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=ml...042003_LACHImarsch.asf&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

I'll include this, starts a scoring play by stealing the ball at midfield and getting it to his forwards quickly.

http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=ml...102003_CLBCHIjaqua.asf&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

DaMarcus takes the ball about 55 yards out and proceeds to humiliate Wes Hart again getting all the way to edge of the 6 yard box before finishing.

http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=ml...2003_COLCHIbeasley.asf&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

18. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    he's gained 23 pounds?

Oh yeah, I was 195 6'2" in high school. It's right there in the football program.

19. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    btw, I'm a big DMB fan, and he is certainly one of our most dangerous players. It's just that frame.

I'm not an expert, so maybe someone who is can answer the question. Someone with such a small body - can they improve bone strength? Can they overcome their genetics and become durable in a contact sport?

20. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Over on the Fire board, some fans were actually asking if DMB should be benched because his performances during some regular season games were....I dunno...."subdued" might be a good word.

Then....WHAM!! He explodes.

Nah, I wasn't drunk...but the dynamic possibilities for DMB being one of the all-time great USA soccer players is a bit intoxicating, I must say.

When, during qualifying, he smokes 'em in Azteca, or silences the crowd at Saprissa, or gets taken down and forces a devastating red card and decisive PK at...well, ANYWHERE...let me say that you'll start feelin' a little lightheaded too, I bet.

Finally, having not seen DMB on a scale, I don't know how much he weighs. But as I have before, and it's worth saying again, there are many mitigating factors that allow him to take a lickin' and keep on tickin':

--The kid is CUT. Physically, the guy whose body type DMB most resembles is Ronaldinho, who I think goes something like 160. Lithe, no body fat, low center of gravity.

--The kid has a rubber band for a body. Really, he is unbelievably flexible, and guys who are flexible can wiggle out of tight challenges or minimize their impact, and tend to be less injured and less sore.

--The kid has incredible balance. I bet he could have been a top-flight tightrope walker. As a result, he takes up what appear to be awkward body positions to avoid the big hits.

--Most of the kid's fouls-suffered are of the ankle-clipping variety, as he blows by guys and they have no choice but to trip him. Those kinds of fouls as a rule are more bruise- and pain-creating than injury-causing fouls. Meanwhile, he tends to avoid upper body to upper body confrontations with guys 40 lbs heavier than him.

--And finally, and most important, they can't hit what they can't catch.

Remember, this is a player who, had he played in every MLS game, might have suffered over 125 fouls! That is an astonishing number, a record that surely would never be broken. As it is, he suffered nearly 100 fouls, yet he is primed and ready to wreak significant havoc upon opponents in the playoffs.

I just don't think his size (or lack thereof) suggests that he is destined to get pummeled into submission. Sure he can get hurt, like any player, but I don't think he's more vulnerable necessarily than this guy, or that guy.

In some respects, I think he is actually LESS vulnerable.

21. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ill admit that DMB's production this year has suprised me. I still will maintain hes not a great passer (but not everyone needs to be), and hence not really a setup guy but his finishing has been clinical and that has been very good to see, it bodes well for him as a player.

Getting the ball to the box is one thing, which I think he always showed well at doing. Putting it in the back of the net is another, and its what I think makes him go from being a potential guy to the real deal.

Anyways, just saying that any reservations I had about the kid are gone now.

22. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    I certainly know how much I weigh, and when I sat in at the hotel bar with him in France, chatting for a good 15 minutes, I can say that I am no more than 5 pounds heavier than him...

23. Dan Roudebush

Dan Roudebush New Member

Mar 31, 1999
    Thanks voros for the clips.

BTW where are the archieves lcoated? Are there more there? I wasn't successfull running backing up the web address.

24. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's nice, but you can't "see" what someone weighs. You can guess, and you might be right, but it's only luck.

25. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    There is more to durability than meets the eye. Quite a few people said that Reggie Miller was too slight for the NBA. He enters the 2003-04 season at #15 in career points scored.