Canada's New Coach

Discussion in 'Canada' started by divingheader, Oct 8, 2003.

1. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This just in from the CSA on the Men's National Team Coaching vacancy: " ."

Does anyone have any news on this? The first qualifying dates are set, it would be nice to give the guy time to settle in, find a house, etc... before things heat up.

Possibly a few candidates will show up at the Finland match to check out the team. I doubt Yallop can get away from San Jose for a trip to Finland, tho.

2. NEKSoccer

NEKSoccer Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Long Island, NY
    Colin Miller will handle the Finland game. I have a gut feeling that we will hear more about this after San Jose's season is over, though that might not be until the latter part of November. Yallop seems like the best man for the job given his experience on the club level as a successful player and a successful manager and also his experience playing on Team Canada itself. Miller has similar credentials, but the only coaching experience he has is on the national team level and I don't know just how well he has done there. Yallop, on the other hand, has been successful in San Jose. So if I had to choose between the two, I'd give the nod to Yallop.

3. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Don't hold your breath on Yallop accepting any offer from the CSA.

4. NEKSoccer

NEKSoccer Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Long Island, NY
    <Deep breath> ;)

Seriously, why not? Is it that the CSA doesn't have the $$ that Yallop might want?

5. Desigol

Desigol New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    County Tyrone, NI
    I'd probably say Yallop would be the favourite.

6. NEKSoccer

NEKSoccer Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Long Island, NY
    Article on Finland game

This mentions Colin Miller's interest in the Canada job and the CSA's reportedly being keen on Frank Yallop.

http://www.sport.scotsman.com/football.cfm?id=1121662003

It also mentions the fact that Miller coached Hamilton Academicals. I was not aware of that. Article said he had success there. Coaching this game gives him the inside track on the job - particularly if he gets a good result.

7. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, actual news! Thanks. Good luck to the lads tomorrow.

8. CanuckFan2

CanuckFan2 New Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Calgary
    Re: Article on Finland game

Coaching Hamilton in the lower divisions of Scotland is not exactly the German National team on a resume. He currently coaches at the PDL level!
    Given his player selection for Finland, I can't imagine anyone with any sense giving him a look. But, of course, we're dealing with the CSA here. I hope he gets a result for the players' sake (esp. the young ones like Nsaliwa), but it better not give him any inside track.

9. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Article on Finland game

I guess we have different definitions of 'success'. Here is an article on Coach Miller and the Accies from the BBC. If you read the Scotman's article again, you may see that the success was in reference to the youth teams at Abbotford, BC:

"Friday, 30 June, 2000, 14:14 GMT
    Accies hammered by punishment

The 1999-2000 season ended up being probably the most traumatic in Accies' 125-year history.
    A poor start to the season under the erratic stewardship of Colin Miller gave way to a frustrating end with the 15-point deduction imposed by the Scottish Football League and confirmed on appeal by the SFA in April.

The club faces at least a season in the lowest echelon of league football as a result of what some commentators believe to be a hidden agenda whereby the authorities are keen to rid the Scottish game entirely of nomadic clubs like Accies.

Until April, Hamilton's season had been hampered by a distinct lack of consistency.

Improvement

Colin Miller's ill-fated tenure came to an end in September.

His replacement, Ally Dawson, brought about an improvement in team performances, largely as a result of some astute signings, notably Gordon Hunter and Ian Ferguson.

The competitive nature of the league meant that, even as late as February, promotion was not out of the question with the Accies six points off third place.

The arrival of the popular Jose Quitongo further galvanised the team. but their prospects crumbled instantaneously when the club failed to fulfil an away fixture at Stenhousemuir.

The SFL clearly took a dim view of such action and imposed an unprecedented 15-point deduction.

The team never recovered from that blow - had the first half of the season mirrored the second half in terms of performance, relegation would have been avoided.

Now the club will bid to bounce back to the Second Division and have the incentive of playing in a brand new stadium the following year. "

10. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Yallop?

Yallop?
    There are strong rumours that it will be Yallop, once the San Joses Earthquakes are finished their current MLS playoff run. The fact that the WCQ's now appear not to start until June, except for the mini-minnows, for CONCACAF, makes it a little more feasible. Miller has some inside support from the CSA, but it's hard to argue with success. The scuttlebut from SJ is that they are resigned to losing their coach...

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercuryn...rts/7196310.htm

11. Turk from Pigs Eye

Turk from Pigs Eye New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Pigs Eye (St. Paul),
    Expectations of Yallop in Canada?

I'm wondering what the expectations are of Frank Yallop, the new Canadian National Team coach. Can they qualify for the World Cup? What accomplishments would be considered a success? I've heard that he could eventually wind up coaching in the EPL. What does he have to do to get that sort of job?

12. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    To make the Hex. If they can do that, Canada will have a good shot of making the World Cup.

13. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    I would say Frank is expected to make the World Cup. If he doesn't, I think support will still be high, we'll bemoan a tough semifinal group, but I think everyone is hoping he'll do better than Holger and that means getting out of the SF group. I we do that, the bandwagon will be filling and we'll all be buying German-English dictionaries. If we fall in the hex after getting out of that SF group I think we'd all be disappointed.

Personally, I'm looking for some good performances and a starting XI that doesn't have me ripping my hair out by the time we square off with Belize. After that I just hope we can survive the semis, but it's going to be a dog fight and we're going to need a break or two and a lot of good performances.

cheers,
    hobbes

14. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    Well, Yallop stated yesterday on an internet radio show that Canada isn't expected to make it to the Hex because we're the "11th ranked" team in Concacaf. I suspect that Frank by stating this he is just playing up the under-dog label that De Rosario says he enjoys so much. He can't really believe we are the 11th best team in the region. If Yallop doesn't actually think we'll make even the final 6 (despite the potential tough semi-final group) you wouldn't think that he'd have taken the job, or at least not for a 3 year contract.

If Yallop is everything that everybody is saying he is, I fully expect Canada to make it to the World Cup - if we don't even make it to the Hex it will be considered a major disappointment. Yallop's strength, apparently, is getting players to want to play for each other & to play for him, something that the Canadian team had been lacking for a few years, to the point where players were often not even showing up, preferring to stay with their clubs. If this is indeed Yallop's strength, and with the international calendar & the lure of a World Cup berth for Canada, I'm expecting that barring injury & suspension, we should get all of our best players for the qualifiers. If we do & Yallop gets the team chemistry going, working together & playing for each other & for Canada......well, who knows how good Canada could potentially be. We haven't had our best team together for a long, long time - and in fact, since Radzinski missed the entire 2002 campaign, you could argue we haven't had it since sometime in the mid-1990's, and with no home dates since Nov.2000 to boot.

The talent is certainly there to get Canada a spot for Germany. Its up to Frank now to ensure that its used & is put together nicely. And to live up to his early promises of using the top youth available & not making this an "old boys" venture - If we see that De Guzman (one of the top-ranked midfielders in Germany thus far in the 2003-04 season) is left off the squad in favour of English 2nd division midfielders, then we'll know the early promises have not been lived up to. I'm hoping we'll see plenty of Julian in qualifying.

15. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Yep, this is Yallop's MO. He really likes to "undersell" and over-achieve. Just in case some fans haven't followed Yallop's style closely, here's a few primers:

You will play a 4-4-2 at least 95% of the time. The only time you will not be in a 4-4-2 is when you are trailing late in a game and he subs a defender out for a forward. In SJ, we rarely trailed. This is good in the fact that all the players will learn strictly defined roles, bad in the fact that opposing coaches know exactly what is coming from you.

If you win or play well, the lineup will not change. It means if a player from Europe happens to miss a game and team plays well without him, he is likely to start on the bench when he arrives. Yallop believes in keeping the same lineup if it continues to produce. He doesn't care if star players sit.

He won't sub very much and certainly not very early. In fact, expect several games where the same 11 finish the game. It's something he liked as a player and he has had success doing it as a coach.

If you get a lead, watch out! SJ was just unbelievable when it scored the first goal. Ditto when it lead at half time. He knows just how to kill a game with a lead.

He believes in chemistry over skill. You play for the system, or you won't be back (no matter HOW good you are).

It's "high pressure" all the time. You won't play much differently on the road then at home. He will have them believing that they can win anywhere.

He will be honest with the players, whether they like it or not. He will not create controversy in the press, but handle problems internally. He will be soft spoken and rarely lose his temper. He is not likely to make the same mistake twice.