news and notes

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by stevengoff, Oct 8, 2003.

1. stevengoff

stevengoff New Member

Feb 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    *DCU denied Bolivia's request for Etcheverry to play Saturday at RFK vs. Honduras. So he will go to Foxboro. (Vaca will play for Bolivia.)

*Seattle Sounders GK Rich Cullen will have a tryout with the club this week and could become the No. 2 keeper.

*Nelsen in Tehran with New Zealand, will return early next week. Convey in LA with u-20s, will return for this weekend's game.

2. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Thanks for the update.

That's good news about Etch. Whether or not you think he should start, he needs to at least be available for a homestretch game with important playoff implications.

3. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Thanks for the updates. Interesting about the new Keeper - I know that Geddes is a Develpment player but you would think that unless Warren is going to be out for a while, that would suffice.

BTW - (OT) Thanks for the great coverage of the WWC. I missed your writing for DC United though...

4. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    Thanks Steven. With all injuries and players missing even the Marco detractors (including me) should know he has to be in Foxboro, hopefully as a sub but prolly as a started. The timing is unfortunate for Marco because he deserves a send off with his national team.

How bad does Geddes have to feel. Signed Third String Keeper and then the team brings in somebody else for columbus when number 1 and 2 are down and now with Nick down they bring in a new keeper for a tryout.

5. carolinab

carolinab Member+

Aug 21, 2000
    D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bermuda
    Thanks! :)

Man, poor little Geddes.

6. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    Intersting that Cullen might sign - before one of the Seattle vs. Minnesota Thunder games this year I read that he was still on active duty in the Air Force. He's a grad of the Air Force Academy, and apparently was serving at whatever base is near Seattle and given some sort of deal where he could get time off as needed to play for the Sounders. I think it's great that they'd let him do that, but it doesn't seem like he'd necessarily have the kind of pull to ask to get stationed somewhere else.

7. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    GOOD! Unfortunately for VACA, all our top forwards will not be let go by their club teams for this match.

8. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Re: Re: news and notes

Absolutely. I remember being cut from a select team when a new coach came in. Crushing blow it seemed to me-but much much worse for Geddes since it's his job

I would rather we give him a chance in at least 1 MLS game than bring in another keeper, no matter how he did in practice. That way we can see for ourselves in a real game if he's up to the task, and he'd feel like he got a shot.

9. beagles3

beagles3 New Member

Jul 2, 2001
  10. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Re: Etcheverry playing on Saturday???

What's the deal-is he going to play for Bolivia, or travel and play for DC United?

11. oscarm

oscarm Member

Oct 31, 2000
    Fairfax, Va
    Re: Re: Re: news and notes

Would you give him a chance during a strech of must win games? If he's not showing well in practice I don't think putting him in an MLS game is the right thing to do.

12. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Re: Re: Re: Re: news and notes

How you do in practice doesn't always equal how you do in games. Albright reportedly scored in practice a lot, choked in games. Stokes reportedly looked terrible in practice much better when he got a shot to play for real in an Open Cup match.

I don't see this next game as a must win. And I can't imagine Geddes is much worse than Baumstark.

That said, I haven't been to practice, and Geddes may have done something behind the scenes to put him in the doghouse. I'm guessing there's something more to the Geddes story.

To get wins and losses, the team needs to be more than about wins and losses. That means respecting the players who have been with the team. If as a coach you treat your players well, they'll play hard for you. Doesn't mean you can't slam them for poor play, but if you make a commitment to be on the team you should be given a shot.

13. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: news and notes

He must have been really frightful in practive; he did not look good at all int he OC game against Pittsburgh.

You have an interesting perspective, then, Mr Bud.

What was wrong with Baumstark? He looked quite good to me, not that he was tested much.

Why? Why does there always have to be some mysterious secret? Why is is not liekly that the coaches have looked him over in practice and said, "You're not ready for prime time, but you have promise, so we're going to keep you on the roster"? Do we DC fans *always* have to believe in some X-Files explanation? Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Why? This is akin to the whole "you played well in the past, so you should be able to write your ticket five years" later argument. For the life of me, I don't understand where all these mysterious entitlements come from. If a player doesn't have the tools he needs to start (or play) at the top level, how is putting him out on the field "treating your players well"? Sounds like setting them up to fail to me.

14. stevengoff

stevengoff New Member

Feb 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    marco is NOT playing for bolivia.

geddes has virtually no professional experience; cullen was second team all-star in a-league for seattle this year.

15. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: news and notes

Seems he didn't play against Pittsburgh, right? But I open my mouth sometimes before I check the facts (gee what a shock to some of you I know), and I checked and it seems he HAS played in some games, including subbing in for the last Open Cup match against the Metros. So I take back what I said about giving him a shot-seems he got to play, that's all I wanted for the kid, I bet it was important for him.

You have an interesting perspective, then, Mr Bud.

Must game? C'mon. I don't think we catch the Metros. If we play at Chicago or at Metros, doesn't really make much of a difference. Columbus plays at Chicago next, then at DC, so I don't think Columbus will catch us.

This is akin to the whole "you played well in the past, so you should be able to write your ticket five years" later argument.

Maybe not 5 years later, but common sense is you play well, you get to play again. You don't play well, you may FAIL, but at least you got to fail on your own, which I would think is more acceptable than failing only in the eyes of a coach due to practice. Like Iverson said, "Practice man. We're talking 'bout PRACTICE." I know practice is important, but like I said some players just play on another level when it's gametime......

Hey Goff said this guy coming in was 2nd team all-star in the A-League, and Geddes DID get his shot, so I'm fine w/this stuff now.

16. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Two thoughts about Geddes & Cullen:

1) Possibly Geddes has been told by Hudson & Trask at the beginning of the season that this year there is no way he'll play an MLS game and that he is on our roster only for developmental pruposes. Thus, it maybe that Geddes does not feel bad that Cullen is being brought in; that this is only an issue here on BS.

2) I saw Cullen a couple of times this year and he seems pretty good. I liked him a bit more than the Timbers GK, Chris Spitteri though really I wasn't paying that much attention on him.

17. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    MLS rules dictate I believe that all teams must carry 4 developmental players (or is it 6?) and this may be the reason why Geddes remains on the team, to comply with league mandates..

18. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Glad to hear that United turned Bolivia down. I don't know why Etch would want to play with the Bolivians at this stage in his career, but that's neither here nor there. He'll be with us in Foxboro where he belongs.

19. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks for the updates Mr. Goff.

There is another conflicing report in SoccerAmerica confidential:

"MLS: Etcheverry called up by Bolivia

D.C. United playmaker Marco Etcheverry is set to make his first appearance for the Bolivian national team in more than a year. The 33-year-old was called up by Coach Nelson Acosta for Bolivia's friendly on Saturday against Honduras in Washington, D.C.

Etcheverry, a member of Bolivia's 1994 World Cup squad and its inspiration during qualifying for that tournament, last played for his nation in an August 2002 friendly against Venezuela after a two-year break from national team action. He played in World Cup qualifying in 1999 and 2000 and played in the 1999 Copa America."

20. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    1. Thanks for the inside info Steve. And good work with the Women's WC. Your call (on the W.Post chat) about the semis with Germany was pretty accurate as it turned out.

2. I see no reason that Geddes is "owed" a start. What has he done other than eventually win a spot as a third keeper in a developmental role? Some times you can throw a youngster in too soon and actually stiffle their development--put too much pressure on them (remember Antonio Otero anyone? I think he's the case study for this). If Cullen is better than let's give him a shot.

3. All of this is assuming that Cullen replaces Geddes. Maybe that isn't what happens. What if Baumstark is owned by the league and only available for emergy callups? Or Warren is still unavailable? We've got a bunch of games coming up and have a chance to look at someone who has played a lot this summer and been at least half-way impressive. That's not a dumb call to make, bringing him in, it's a no-brainer.

21. Libero6

Libero6 Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: news and notes

I don't have too much of a problem with this (although I do feel for the kid under the circumstances). We're trying out a keeper with a bit more experience under his belt. If he works out it'll give us an option to go to that we won't be so panicked about (remember that collective sigh of fear we all took when Jorge stepped between those posts for the first time?). For Geddes, if we keep him, he gets more time with a quality unit to get better. If we don't then he's got a beaming letter of recommendation to any lower division team (or dallas) in the country where he can cut his teeth til he's ready for primetime. In my opinion, with the exception of the occasional Beasely, Convey, or Adu, MLS shouldn't be in the business of giving players their first professional experience. While being a feeder league (a-la Argentine/Brazilian league) for Europe is good for MLS bank accounts at the moment, we should be careful not to let this become the way we do business. Let the kids be kids in lower divisions and leave MLS to pros.

22. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    A bunch of people have made it sound as if Warren is not going to be back on Saturday. He is going to be back. Note Steven says Cullen would be a possible 2nd keeper not 1st. Also Geddes is a developmental player out of a Division II school. I doubt if hes ready to start a game in the middle of Uniteds first real play-off push since '99. That would not be fair to the kid (it might stunt his growth as a player) and as previously stated Ray & Co. probably told him when he was signed not to expect PT and to wait and be patient. Lastly where we would we get the cap to sign Cullen since even if someone goes on IR their cap still counts.

23. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Why does everyone feel so bad for Geddes? I'm sure we'd all be calling for his head if he was put into a game and gave up 5 howlers and blew our season because of it.

If he's that bad, he's known it all along that he couldn't cut it at this level. He's known that this could happen if Nick ever got hurt, and how happy he should be while Rimando was healthy. I'm sure he realized what was about to happen as soon as Rimando tore up his knee, and it's a shame.

24. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Re: Re: Etcheverry playing on Saturday???

Look, if Goff said the guy isn't gonna play, then you can take it to the bank. He ain't playing. Steven has always given us the straight scoop. Thanks for the update Mr. Goff. :)

25. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I see Geddes as "owed" a shot in that he was brought in as the 3rd keeper, and 2 keepers went down. The fact that he was signed to the team means he should get at least some playing time, and he has. And if it was judged he didn't play well after not performing in practice, I think he should be cut. No use keeping a goalkeeper who will never play in a developmental role-he'd be better off developing in a league where he gets playing time

So maybe he's here just to comply w/the minimum # of developmental players. In which case, he's taking up space that another player can use, but we feel at this time we're obligated to keep him

Also........where are the people complaining that Hudson doesn't play his young players? Now we're complimenting Hudson on not playing a youngster, in this case Geddes?