Kill Bill.

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by amerifolklegend, Oct 8, 2003.

1. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Quentin Tarantino: Okay, see, here's what I want to do, okay? Y'know all those great Kung-Fu movies that we used to watch at like four in the morning after spending a night at the bars in college? Remember how they were all action and all kinds of blood and gore and rediculously repetative storylines? Remember you'd be watching for like an hour and all of the sudden there'd be a new character out of the frickin' blue that was intrical to the story line, but they'd completely neglect to even bother with any development of that character? Remember how the dialogue was horrible, but the acting was even worse? Remember how the music would be just plain rotten and there'd be these ridiculously long flashback scenes that would bore you to tears? Remember how they'd use the same symbolism and really bad effects throughout the entire movie? Yeah, that was awesome! See, what I want to do is that same type of thing but on a much higher budget for today's kids. It'll be awesome!

Larry, Bob, and Harvey: Um, okay. So you want to get like better actors, and put it to a fun story line?

QT: No, I still want the really bad actors. And the storyline will be super, super simple.

L,B,&H: Um, so you want to get a better soundtrack and make the film flow a little better?

QT: No, I still want it to be authentic. Same high-pitched, droning, depressing music and lots of dead time that people will think should have been cut from the film - like twenty minute parts at a time.

L,B,&H: Oh. So, you want to improve the characters and make them have a reason for being in the film?

QT: Oh, good lord no. I gotta have just random people thrown in there all the time. It's the way it's gotta be done.

L,B,&H: Um, so are you gonna at least fix the dialogue or at least have actors or actresses that can actually act?

QT: ARE YOU NUTS!?! That's the most important part of remaking old Kung-Fu movies! I gotta have the worst actresses I can find. In fact, I want Darryl Hannah and Uma Thurman - that's how authentically bad I want it.

L,B,&H: I thought Uma was a pretty good actress.

QT: I've been working with her for a couple months on that. I've managed to suck every last ounce of acting ability she has left in her. And just in case I didn't, I wrote her part with dialogue that would make people wish they were watching Ishtar. It's gonna be awful - but great, okay?

L,B,&H: Um, okay. So why exactly do you want to remake such crap if you're not going to improve the crappiness parts?

QT: Because kids love that retro stuff. And they love me. Trust me, they'll think it's great. That's the beauty of the whole thing. I'm gonna make as bad a movie as I can and they'll still think it's utter genius. Movie nuts are so stupid like that.

L,B,&H: Don't we know it! One last question - So why exactly do you need such an enormous amount of money to make this cheap movie?

QT: Okay, see, because I'm making the movie. And because I want the super cheap effects to look like real super cheap effects, and that costs money, y'know? And did I mention the Japanese cartoon part that'll be really well done, but will just go on for-ever? Yeah, that'll cost some cash, too.

L,B,&H: Well, okay then. You sold us. It's a go.

2. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I've seen the film. It's his masterpiece.

3. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Of what, dead airtime? Remaking crap? Pathetic dialogue? Annoying soundtracks?

The good things about this movie:

Great cartoon part.
    Beautifully filmed.
    GREAT idea for a movie.
    Small parts of almost every major scene.
    The imagery.
    The black and white fight scene.
    The *#*#*#*#*# Wagon.
    The opening credits.

Bad things about this movie (that I neglected in my above post) :
    Uma Thurman's feet.
    The sushi bar scene.
    Major flaws in editing.

4. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Besides, Reservoir Dogs was his masterpiece.

5. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Of cinema. Actually, it's not a remake of those 70s kung fu films, although he nods to that plenty of times. It's a remake of the 80's sword/fantasy epics out of Hong Kong.

6. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Same/same.

"All you white people look the same to me."

7. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You just hate the movie because it's a foreign film trying to pass as American.

8. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Yawn.

I had a friend who went last night to a advanced screening and loved it. I know her taste. I won't go.

I just rented the IFC documentary on '70s filmmaking "A Decade Under the Influence". How could I possibly be excited to see "Kill Bill" after that??

9. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Nope.

I have no qualms saying something like that if that's why I hated it.

I knew going in what it was. I was expecting a QT twist on those films. I figured he'd add his fun touch to them. His trademark funny lines at serious moments were there, but they just weren't funny.

Plus, why is it considered good filmmaking to have terrible dialogue and even worse acting just because it is in 'homage' to other films with terrible dialogue and even worse acting?

Was it an accurate recreation? Yes. Is that a good thing? No.

Like I said, the cartoony part was impresive. Once that started, I was turning my opinion around a bit, but when it went on entirely too long I was back to hating it.

10. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Because it was a lousy, dishonest documentary full of revisionism courtesy of the stars?

11. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    No, because it reminded of fantastic movies that I haven't seen in a long time (thus no time to check out Tarantino), or movies that look ten times better than the preview makes Kill Bill out to be.

12. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Your take on good acting and good dialogue has been defined by the style of 50's Hollywood studio verisimiltude. It may be impossible for you to enjoy this film. Like I said, this film is a remake of 80's Hong Kong sword epics and 60s-70s female revenge B-flicks, with a post-modern twist. Most Americans haven't seen any of these films. Most people are simply not "equipped" to fully appreciate this movie.

13. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Read the book if you haven't, because the documentary was nothing but hero worsip.

14. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Whatever, I don't really care much about the documentary other than to find out about older movies that I haven't exposed to. And I'm sure you'd agree that those movies are worth more of my time than *#*#*#*#ing Kill Bill.

15. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Maybe so, but that's only because I don't know what the word 'verisimltude' means.

I define good acting as believable characters. A good actor can make me forget I'm watching a movie and instead witnessing an event. They can deliver lines that make me actually think that they would say them in that situation.

I define good dialogue as flowing conversation and well matched with the character that is muttering them.

Unfortunately for you, most Americans agree with me on this one.

Because we don't like crap.

Seriously, though. What exactly made it his masterpiece? I can honestly understand how you loved it. That's not what I don't get. I just don't know how half of a movie that went out of its way to make the audience not feel sympathy for the main character's actions could be considered a masterpiece. To me, it's like someone watching Lawrence of Arabia up to the intermission and then declaring it a masterpiece and not bothering to see the second half.

What exactly was great about it?

16. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    No, it's not "whatever," if you're a fan of 70s Hollywood then you absolutely have to read the book. It's a primer for the great films of that generation.

You've obviously made up your mind without seeing Kill Bill or most of the 70s masterpieces, so why do you need my [freddurst] agreeance[/freddurst]?

17. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Fair enough, I was reiterating that I wasn't not seeing Kill Bill because of the "quality" of the documentary, but because it helped cultivate more interest in the movies that it was discussing. Then you came in an starting slamming the documentary and saying how the book is much better, and I'm just saying "whatever, I just want to watch the movies they were talking about".

Either way, I'll eventually see Kill Bill at some point. It might be a year on cable, but I'll see it. And I'll think of you when I do, Gringo...

18. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Don't see it on video. Having seen the trailer last year, I thought it was the best trailer I've ever seen, mainly becuase Tarantino's love of cinema really was laid right there to appreciate. Yoiu can say many things good and bad about Tarantino, but he's absolutely in love with the medium. I can't imagine watching it on a shrimpy television, given the trailer I saw.

19. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    No, "we" just like crap that's comforting and familiar.

20. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this. I just got back from seeing it, and if you are going to see it, don't wait for video.

21. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Kill Bill is a great, great movie.

22. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's partially why I haven't made up my mind about Kill Bill after seeing it last night. It sometimes seems way too much to me like Tarantino is too much of a fanboy - he just wants to do one long homage to everything, be it blaxploitation in Jackie Brown or Asian cinema (even anime - the Ishii flashback sequence looks like something straight out of Ninja Scroll) in Kill Bill. I feel like a truly great director should try to be moving the medium forward, rather than repeatedly (and often self-indulgently) bowing down before the altar of its past.

That having been said, though, there are parts of Kill Bill that are undoubtedly brilliant. While he doesn't nail the anime sequence as well as Yoshi Kawajiri, who he was obviously imitating, would have, it's still very well done, and it's interesting to see a Tarantino movie actually use bright and bold color for once. Plus, RZA did an absolutely fantastic job with the score.

23. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw it.

Liked it.

ALot.

HOwever, i dont think i really expected it to resemble the movie "Ricky-Oh!" as much as it did.

reguardless, the cinematography is fantastic, and i am of the opinion that good acting is only good acting if it fits within the context of the movie.

and this qualifies.

24. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw it.

Liked it.

8/10 Pssy Wagons