Who is MVP.....

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DaBomb, Sep 30, 2003.

1. DaBomb

DaBomb New Member

Jul 17, 2003
    The top five:

1) Landon Donovan
    2) John Spencer
    3) Damani Ralph
    4) Preki
    5) Taylor Twellman

2. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that before you can consider who would be the LEAGUE MVP, you'd have to look at who is likely going to be their own team's MVP.

For Chicago, it's not going to be Ralph. I'd probably say Bocanegra.

Colorado: I'd pick Spencer, but that may be for the same reason that some outside of Chicago would pick Ralph -- Spencer gets the press because he scores goals.

Columbus: McBride?, Martino? -- don't think anyone here had league credentials though.

Dallas: no clue and doesn't matter -- even if the team's MVP was someone spectacular, they'd have no shot at league MVP with such a bad season

DC United: Ben Olsen?, Petke?, Convey? -- again not sure any of them are going to have league credentials though

Kansas City: Preki ??

Los Angeles: Hartman ??

Metrostars: Pope?, Guevara?

New England: Ralston?, Twellman?, don't know that much about them this year

San Jose: probably Donovan

So looking at those listed above, I'd have to narrow it down to Donovan, Spencer, Preki and Bocanegra. Given how much Preki (and likewise KC) has fallen off that latter half of the season, I'd be inclined to eliminate him. Conversely, Donovan has really turned it up lately.

I'd say it's between Donovan and Bocanegra (gotta root for the Fire) with Donovan getting the nod.

3. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Here's a strong argument for Donovan as MVP:

http://www.sjearthquakes.com/fan_pages/092903feature.htm

Just a month ago, I was in the "Spencer for MVP" camp. The strong play recently of Donovan is changing my mind. If he continues his recent form, I think he will run away with the award. His points per game is impressive, especially considering only one of his goals is from the penalty spot. 5 game-winning goals help.

4. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I think either of them is the MVP - but Razov has scored more goals for Chicago than Ralph has. It's just that Ralph was an unknown rookie that he got all this publicity.

5. DCFAN

DCFAN Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Donovan
    Razov
    Spencer
    Twellman
    Preki
    Ralph
    Kovalenko
    Hartman
    Ruiz

6. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Donovan

All Donovan has shown is that he can beat up on the Cubas of MLS. Great games against KC and Dallas? So what? How about his great disappearing act against DC?

In that game he was NOT double-teamed. He was NOT marked out of existance - he just didn't play. MVPs got to show up at least one point in every game.

Spenser has played imaginatively and led his team from laughingstocks to the top of the league. He deserves MVP

7. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuse me, but what was Spenser doing at the beginning of the season when they were the "laughingstocks"? Did he show up in every game? I don't think so. Donovan kick-started his team and got them in first place from the BEGINNING of the season, even being named player of the month to start off with, scoring goals and getting assists even when battling the flu, at a time when NO ONE predicted the Quakes would be able to do anything. Now, coming into the home stretch, he's once again providing the energy and electricity to propel the team into top form on into the playoffs. He had a few games that were unspectacular (such as the DC game recently). But there's not one single player up for MVP that hasn't had a couple of bad games. He's doing more than beating up on Cuba.

8. GCSOCCER19

GCSOCCER19 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    North Carolina
    Agreement

I have to agree with StillKickin....Donovan has been a constant all year with the Quakes, Speeny was a no show at the beginning of this season while the rapids were in the cellar....

And kansas city may be in trouble now but remember the beginning of the year when they were tearing through people, that doesnt just go away.....teams have bad streaks

My vote is up for Donovan....

9. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Re: Not Donovan

Has Spencer scored at least one point in every game?

Eight games into the year, Spencer's only points were off of a penalty kick. If you're going to criticize Landon for a poor single outing against DC, how about criticizing Spencer for a poor April and May?

Spencer has points in only 13 of 25 Rapids games this year - he didn't l=play in one, so I'll concede 13 of 24, for a 54% success rate in scoring.

In four of those 13 games, his only points were a penalty kick. So his "points from the run of play" rate is 9 of 24, or 37.5%.

His team is not top of the league, Landon's is. Is it Landon's fault the Quakes didn't suck in April? No, you see, he was busy being player of the month that month and making sure his team got off to a better start than 0-5-1.

Oh, and Landon's comparable statistics to the "get a point every game standard" - points in 12 of 19 games, or 63%. One of those games he only scored a penalty, so 11 of 19 is 58%.

If you're going to hold someone to a preposterous standard, at least apply it consistently.

10. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Spencer

11. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    According to Julie Foudy, it's Mia Hamm.

12. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Thanks for your insight.

13. DaBomb

DaBomb New Member

Jul 17, 2003
    the verdict

Donovan should win MVP because he has been the most consistent throughout the year and is on the top team in MLS.

You can't discount Spencer because he and Mark Chung have carried the Rapids to where they are now.

14. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still not Donovan

I got ripped on this thread for saying Landon only plays well against the Cubas of MLS. Since then he has managed to beat up various Metrostars (but not score on them). Then he had a sorry performance against Colorado - again scoreless. Missed at least two chances and was not double teamed or fouled out of his game. Perhaps Borchers should get the MVP instead for keeping this Bundesliga-class striker off the scoreboard.

I guess Landon is conserving his strength for the playoffs.

Eric Wynalda - remember this if you get to vote for MLS MVP.

15. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Re: Still not Donovan

I'll rip you for calling putting KC in the same boat as Dallas and calling them a Cuba of MLS. Last I checked they had the exact same record as DC. :rolleyes:

The MVP is still up in the air. If KC makes a good run into the playoffs and Preki wins the scoring title, Preki has to be the front runner. If SJ wins the West and Donovan contributes even more, he'll get a good chance as well.

What people need to keep in mind is that a title like MVP is for the season. Some players get on late hot streak and people start talking them up as MVPs. Ralph and Preki have done it all season. Donovan had tough stretches, and a hat trick doesn't make him a sudden MVP. Just because he may be the best or most talented player in the league doesnt mean he played the best over 30 games.

16. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think MVP candidates shouldn't necessarily only be the players who score goals or assists, but those who play well and help their team win. It's great that there really isn't someone who's got it locked up yet. Do they take into consideration what players do in the playoffs, or just the regular season?

Doctor D loves to criticize Donovan's play just because he's not scoring in the last two games; he does contribute in ways other than simply scoring, but I'll leave that for another day. Preki hasn't lit it up consistently either (and his team went, what, 10 games in a row without winning?) but he's still under consideration. At the beginning of the season, when LD was named player of the month, he may have had a goal or two and an assist or two, but it was his overall play that was noticed.

Is there a chance a goalkeeper could win MVP?

17. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Preki has lit it up a lot more consistantly than Donovan. Many, including it seems you, seem to have forgotten April, May and June. Yes, you're absolutely right that the Wizards went 9 games without winning, and thats the one reason I think Preki doesn't already have it locked up.

Donovan is a tough call. He's been inconsistant as well. His team has done better than Preki's, yet he doesnt have as big a contribution (points wise) as Preki. On the other hand, you're correct that points arent all that matters. But I assure you Preki demands the same attention from an opponent that LD does, and Preki handles just as much of the play that LD does.

When looking at the two players I'd say that they both equally contribute to their teams. Preki has scored more and LD's team has performed better.

So, the factors to decide the MVP between LD and Preki to me are:
    1) Their team's performance in the playoffs. Who makes it further...
    2) Individual performance in their remaining games. (Linked to #1)
    3) Popularity (advantage Donovan, as shown in the Honda Player of the Year Award)

As for goalkeepers. Onstad and Howard made a good case, but I just dont think they've been as dominant as they'd need to be to get MVP votes.

18. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great analysis. I guess I just get all bent out of shape when they say LD doesn't even merit consideration. I think he should be considered as much as anyone. He does tend to be more inconsistent, that is true. I guess it's a factor of his age (he's not 40!) And believe me, I know Preki demands attention from opponents (and their fans; I bite my nails when KC and SJ play - keep it from Preki!)

So your analysis does let me know they consider the playoffs as well. This could get good.