Convey dodges a bullet

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by geordienation, Sep 21, 2003.

1. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Well, as much as any of us wanted to see Bobby Convey succeed in England, his denied transfer may have been a career saver, as Hoddle was just sacked as Spurs manager.

The worst possible thing for him would have been to be an unproven American with a new coach who didn't sign him to the squad.

As it is, he'll be playing in the playoffs, get a few more caps in, and maybe go next season.

2. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I agree. Classic situation for a player to get stuck doing nothing.

3. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

Aug 9, 2003
    Cary NC
    Club:
    DC United
    <sarcasm>It's a plan, don't you see? Dallas lures away Ray Hudson to perform another Fusion-like turnaround with the Burn. DC gets Hoddle and Adu. After a 2004 season with no losses, Hoddle returns saint-like to the EPL with Convey and Adu under his wing.</sarcasm>

Seriously, coaching a London team is big business as a lot of money is on the line; so Spurs made the move they thought was sensible. But Hoddle is a good coach and this team (the team he put together) will surely finish high in the standings -- maybe even qualify for Europe. They have some really good talent.

Hoddle at Spurs wasn't Gullet at Newcastle -- Hoddle should get attention for any number of coaching slots. If he wants to come (which I doubt), he would be a joy to have in the MLS.

I do hope that this doesn't affect our playing them in future friendlies. It's nice to be 2-0 against an EPL team.

And about Convey, even though he may have been likely riding the pine under a new coach, he still would've had the big paycheck, right? Not that anybody is in this game for money. Oops, I forgot to put in the sarcasm tags.

4. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I like to think that even a new coach would have seen Convey's talent.

Then again, didn't this happen to Donovan. The coach that signed him got sacked and the new coach made it pretty clear he considered him too small and a waste of time. So Donovan wasted away in the reserves until returning to MLS. And yet many are so adamant that he return to Europe - well, not if that's going to happen again.

So maybe Convey is better off.

But I dunno, mebbe he would've been traded to another EPL team. Either way, I think the rejection really didn't help his rep - or that of U.S. soccer. Yeah, we have good keepers, most of the world will admit to that, but they're not going any further than that.

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

yeah.... and it is all at the striker and keeper positions - spurs have not much in midfield and about ZERO defense... just ask kasey keller

6. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    Why did Convey come off the bench in the second half vs. LA? Is he injured? Seems strange that the supposed shoe-in for the Tottenham starting 11 (according to what we heard from the Spurs) didn't make DC United's starting 11.

7. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I disagree. Convey is very well known amoung UK scouts and a lot of fans in UK. A lot of people on SI forum thought he was the MOTM in the match against Wales.

Secondly, he would have made more money in one season in EPL than many seasons in MLS. His salary was rumored to be around 600k euros / year range. In MLS he makes $75K / year.

From watching his performance with US national team, I think Convey's biggest positive is his off the ball run. He is more dangerous without the ball than with the ball. In DCU he is stuck on the wing. He definitely plays better in US uniform than for DCU.

I really think he should be given the free role in the center of the field instead of on the wing. He should take over in Etch's spot when he retires next season.

8. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    If Convey performed for the new Spurs manager the way he did against LA Saturday night, he'd be doing some serious splinter removal. He was utter garbage on Saturday.

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Wrong. I'm not even going to bother to read the rest of your post. Troll elsewhere please.

10. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wasn't trolling. I haven't trolled since June 17th, 2002.

11. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I have to agree that Convey should be grateful to the Foreign Office that his work permit wasn't approved. It was about time that Spuds sacked Soddle.

I just hope whomever the new manager at Totnum is chooses not to put KK on the pine.

12. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if the Spurs bring in Antic as rumored who knows where Bobby'll end up. As of now, Convey should be thinking about proving himself in the MLS all over again. IMO, he's on the bench due to fitness and because he was supposed to leave. Now he's back and who knows for how long.

13. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is not a player of international distinction...

14. B-Striker

B-Striker New Member

Sep 10, 2003
    Northern VA
    I've been watching since he came back from London and I'm still waiting to "see" his talent. Someone remind me why he attracted attention internationally in the first place please?

15. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Bobby Robson and Glen Hoddle knows not necessarily how good he is but how good he can become. He has made a lot of progress since he first joined the league at age 16 did he not?

DCU fans are pathetic.

You have no patience with Convey, no patience with Albright, and no patience with Quaranta. I think all those players can be very productive in MLS right now under the right coach like Sarachan or Bob Bradley.

They should be all traded and the team should banned from having players under age of 23.

16. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    yes Fah, and i really don't know that DC fans are that impatient with youth players that dont start off as worldbeaters, maybe they are and maybe not...but i do know that Ray Hudson can't coach for *#*#*#*#*#, and thats not a shot at the team...give him solid vets, and he caters to them and lets them play, if thats good coaching, fine, but keep him away from our young american players...

17. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    You nailed it. How is it that the Nat. team can get much more out of Convey than DCU? The Metros will take Convey. Can we get Quaranta too or does he have to go to Chicago?

18. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    OMG. Did you just begin watching the league a few days ago? Convey has had wonderful talent since the dude landed here, but it's been alittle over 3 years since his arrival. There are kids younger then him all over south america that are able to do tons more then him. He has good foot work, and hustles well, but the dude has average speed and his vision and passes lack respect. He only fares well on the flanks.

If Convey was born in Uruguay, Columbia, Chile, Peru or probally even venezuela, he would have been nothing but a reliable bench warmer. IN defense of Coach Hudson, he supported Convey his first year here. Convey has had ample time to impress. Quaranta picked up the bad habits of Moreno (being lazy). Hudson is making decisions that make sense for the time being.

My days of supporting Convey as an attacking midfielder expired last year.

19. sormun

sormun New Member

Jul 13, 1999

20. B-Striker

B-Striker New Member

Sep 10, 2003
    Northern VA
    if its a coach thing then ... get the right coach

hey now about the pathetic comment ... been watching him since he arrived ... and in a relative sense his ability to impact a game has been very limited but if anything peeked on arrival ... dipped ... tanked ... was great earlier this season and is sliding down hill again ...

how should he be handled by the coach? hand him the reigns ... or use him as a spot player? which helps him to realize all this potential he has?

21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look here, i'm a fanatic DCU supporter and showed up for the game in which Convey gave his farewell to MLS and the team (vs. Colorado), and was at the game in which he returned to MLS (vs. Galaxy). I love his workrate, and he has great potential, BUT ........... he isn't a player of international distinction, and that's all the work permit was about. might he be someday? yes. is he right now? no. there is nothing wrong with being a DC supporter and recognizing the truth. just because you support a team, doesn't mean you have to drink the coolaid for them. Would i have let go of Albright? maybe so. Would i let go of Quaranta right now. not a chance in hell (he is more talented than Convey). Would i let go of Convey to another team in MLS. sure wouldn't ...... the guy is on the right track. But let's not confuse a guy who is a nice young player with a potentially bright future with someone who is a player of "international distinction". he just isn't on that level at the moment.

22. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    No, Albright did stink.

23. B-Striker

B-Striker New Member

Sep 10, 2003
    Northern VA
    still does

24. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    Potential of what?

Convey doesn't suck. I'm sure he will make a
    decent attacking midfielder one day, but the potential of something special just doesn't exist. Average yes. Special/unique, never (mabey a few spectacular days as do all players).

25. usasoc

usasoc New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Potential of what?

Convey doesn't suck. I'm sure he will make a
    decent attacking midfielder one day, but the potential of something special just doesn't exist. Average yes. Special/unique, never (mabey a few spectacular days as do all players).
    ______________________________________________________________________________________

I completely agree with the comments above. Infact noone in mls sucks. convey just got lucky to be given so much playing time when he first came in so he could improve. D.C was horrible at the time he came in and they had a lot of injuries that gave him playing time. He didn't stand out on the 17's and on the 20's he never did anything above any of the other players and he isn't special now to be called a superstar...