Foudy Repents!

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Bora Fan, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HALF EMPTY
    New York Post
    Brian Lewis
    http://www.nypost.com/sports/40475.htm

"In hindsight the ideal situation would've been to join forces; not have the same investors, but learn from each other, build the sport together," Foudy said. "From the beginning from both sides there was an attitude of competition. I don't point the blame at them; I think we're probably the ones [at fault]."

2. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
  3. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    quoth jack buck:

"I don't believe what I just saw!"

4. SignGuyDino

SignGuyDino New Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    My my my my my...

as the Good Book says: Pride goeth before a fall.

Oh, how so true that is.

Seriously, MLS' involvement would be the best thing for women's soccer, hell soccer in general.

Two teams per city can be a far greater influence on getting soccer specific stadiums than one.

I can only hope MLS gets over the way they were burned and saves WUSA.

5. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Is an admission of error enough?

No burning at the stake needed?

Ah, Julie, what a stand-up gal you are to admit mistakes.

I have more respect for the founders now than i did when they started their league.

Uncle Phil, ride to the rescue of these classy ladies, please!

6. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    "It takes time...The MLS is drawing great and we've got more SSS, which is what we need."
    (emphasis mine)

7. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    Julie's smart. She sees that the mainstream media (and sponsors, I would imagine) have bigger issues with soccer than with womens' sports. She's talking up the health of soccer, because she know's that's the weakest link.

8. Vistula

Vistula New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Garfield
    Well, I for one don't want WUSA piggybacking on the immense popularity of MLS.

9. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    (Immense popularity of MLS) That was a joke, right?

10. Vistula

Vistula New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Garfield
    You're sharp today.

11. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Calling all those guys who filled page after page after page of BigSoccer threads with defenses of Julie Foudy, swearing they had JUST NO IDEA AT ALL that she treated this as competition between the leagues:

"In hindsight the ideal situation would've been to join forces; not have the same investors, but learn from each other, build the sport together," Foudy said. "From the beginning from both sides there was an attitude of competition. I don't point the blame at them; I think we're probably the ones [at fault]."

Crow is being served ion the dining car, although I doubt many of you will show up.

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Remember that next time you start to gloat over the demise of a league.

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'll say what I always said on those threads:

"So what?" In other words, who cares what she said? It's not like it hurt MLS, did it? All it did was caused a bunch of guys to get their shorts in a bunch and whine in a way that would embarrass the hell out of the average PTH.

I was always mocking those shrill, hysterical voices that criticized her for being shrill and hysterical. And here you all are again.

Personally, I never watched a WUSA game. But that doesn't mean the demise of their league is something to gloat over.

But I hope your penises grow back now that Foudy "repented."

14. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Which one? W-League or WNBA?

15. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I think this admission pretty much confirms the infamous "piggyback" quote. Or if piggyback wasnt the exact quote it was the same sort of attitude. They have nobody to blame but themselves for their arrogance. This is like the equivalent of Bush having to go back to the UN for help.

16. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL
    :D

I've never really had a big bug up my keister about this stuff one way or the other. I'm not a fan of WUSA, but I'm certainly not anti...

Put it this way, I went out of my way to use my partial season tickets to try and hit the doubleheaders and catch the Freedom. I have a daughter and hope that WNBA and WUSA are around when she's old enough to start paying attention.

All that said, while I think Dr. W has a valid point about BigSoccer male inferiority complexes, I will say that I had a pretty tough time ignoring the fairly obvious competitive attitude towards MLS. Some of the comments made during WWC99 and in the start-up phase of WUSA were pretty much to the effect: "We don't need the men. We're more popular than the men. We're the best in the world, while they struggle just to get into the WC..."

A lot of that was media's doing, but it sure was hard to ignore. (and equally hard to stomach).

Again, I want a WUSA. I just hope that it comes back a little more humble and more willing to advance the sport, not just the "I am Woman, hear me roar" angle.

17. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference being that Julie is hoping MLS will throw in with her. Bush is praying, with good reason, that the UN doesn't.

18. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    For the record:

It was Chastain speaking on a FIFA proposal to move the women's world cup up a year to coincide w/ the men's WC

19. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    There was another "piggyback" quote in an article
    written by ESPN The Magazine's Jeff Bradley:

"We don't want MLS piggybacking on our (WUSA's) attendances."

Though Bradley didn't attribute the quote to anyone in particular other than "a prominent member of the US Women's National Team",
    I have it on good authority that BOTH Foudy and Brandi said the same thing to multiple reporters.

If Phil Anschutz is to start "WMLS" sometime in the future, you can bet that neither Foudy nor Brandi will be involved in any way, shape, or form. Power brokers including Alan R. and Sunil will make sure that neither Foudy nor Brandi will have anything to do with the new business.

20. jc in nh

jc in nh Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Canterbury, NH
    Why? Because it is more "seemly" for the women to be humble? Because Foudy should have considered the egos she might be bruising before speaking or taking a step?

That might have been prudent, given our culture and (especially) our current bizarre and regressive regime. But I applaud her for the leadership she has taken on this and on other fronts.

I imagine that her Title IX stance has upset a few posters here, too. Pretty unhumble behavior, Jules! You go girl!

21. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    No, because their business model predicted a 10% increase in attendance every year for the first seven years. Because they didn't spend within their means. Because they assumed corporations would dole out sponsorship dollars to further their "cause."

The next iteration of WUSA needs to be more realistic in its approach.

22. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who cares who is humble before whom! We're not talking about the NFL, MLB or the NBA. Soccer is still a niche sport in this country. The two have to cooperate and work together in order to survive. For cryin' out loud!

23. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Understatement of the year.

If thinking the league folded simply because it was a women's league gets you through the night, then I won't stop you.

Don't go on a PC wacko streak when you hear "humble". The MLS is doing relatively well because it is much more "humble" than the NASL. The next women's league should take notes.

25. Post of the Year!