WNT open practices in Charlottesville

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by StarCityFan, Sep 10, 2003.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys here is the info for the USWNT open practices at UVA. Thanks to FreedomFanHeather for finding out the info!

U.S. WOMEN OPEN FINAL PRE-WWC TRAINING CAMP IN CHARLOTTESVILLE ON FRIDAY:
    The U.S. Women's World Cup Team has the next four days off before traveling to Charlottesville, Va., on Friday (Sept. 12) to open its final pre-Women's World Cup training camp. There will be 30 minutes of media availability after each U.S. training session when players and coaches will be available for interviews. All U.S. training sessions are OPEN to the media and the public, except the training sessions at the stadium the day before a Match Date, when ONLY the first 15 minutes of training will be open, primarily for photographers and local TV crews to shoot. On those days, the U.S. players and coaches will be made available for interviews at another designated time during the day, usually in the afternoon after lunch at the team hotel.

Date Time (ET)

Saturday, Sept. 13 11 a.m. OPEN
    Training @ Univ. of Virginia Soccer Fields

Sunday, Sept. 14 4 p.m. OPEN

Monday, Sept. 15 10 a.m. OPEN

Tuesday, Sept. 16 10 a.m. OPEN

Wednesday, Sept. 17 11 a.m. OPEN

Thursday, Sept. 18 12 p.m. OPEN
    Training @ TBA

Friday, Sept. 19 12 p.m. OPEN
    Training @ TBA

Saturday, Sept. 20 12 p.m. CLOSED
    Training @ RFK Stadium

Thanks to GrayHammer9317 and FreedomFanHeather from the WUSA boards.

2. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    you're a pal!

4. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas
    Thanks for sharing. Those corner kick pics are great.

5. MichelobLightSoccer

MichelobLightSoccer New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    hurricane approaching?

Does anybody know where the team will practice if Isabel hits Virginia, DC? Does the team have a "plan B" place to practice this week?

6. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Any word on where these practices will be held? American University? Germantown?

7. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Re: hurricane approaching?

Originally posted by MichelobLightSoccer

Does anybody know where the team will practice if Isabel hits Virginia, DC? Does the team have a "plan B" place to practice this week? [/B][/QUOTE]

Good Question. Here in DC we are bracing for a hit.
    Of course, for that matter Charloletsville is as well.

I think the issues will not be heavy weather channel documentary type damage - roof ripping off etc but potential for power outages and flooding.

We had a set of thunderstorms in late August that kept some folks without power for nearly a week.

RFK is basically on the Anacostia River, so both flooding from run off and tidal surge (its still a tidal river there) may be an issue, especially in some of the parking lots.

Supposed to come through basically overnight thursday, clear by Saturday. Though I wonder if
    the teams will be able to do their on field work outs on Saturday

8. silentbob

silentbob Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
  9. sokrandlaw5

sokrandlaw5 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Somewhere near and f
    The women looked good considering that they were playing against the UVA men (reserves). They played three periods. The women started in a 4-3-3. Everyone got in for the USA women.

I must say Abby did not look that intimidated and was actually out to prove herself (I thought). Everytime one of the women fouled, held, stripped, or juked a uva player the crowd cheered. Although the final result was 3-0 (for uva) the women had about 2 or 3 near misses for goals.

10. silentbob

silentbob Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Sweet -- thanks for the update.

Who started in the 4-3-3? Did it resemble a lineup that April might start on Sunday?

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knowing they played the UVA men makes me feel a bit better about the prep for the cup (as long as no one got hurt...) CR and Mex weren't going to get it done (no offense to CR or Mex)

12. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    They *should* be practicing at Trinity College right now. Word though was that the winds were picking up in the DC area earlier this morning so we'll see what happens. Maybe Abe Polin will allow them to practice at the MCI Center. :D

13. TLC#1

TLC#1 New Member

Aug 6, 2003
    ok can u give us a little more info who started

which goal keeper gave up the most goals (between siri and bri) and which 1 made the most save etc

14. WhatAKeepah

WhatAKeepah New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Sigh....

I think I'm in love with Abby (Gee, I wonder if she'll see this *Blush*)

Alex