Prideaux-Galaxy [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCFAN, Sep 8, 2003.

1. DCFAN

DCFAN Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Did anybody else notice how well Brandon played against the Galaxy? It seemed like he took the ball away from the Galaxy players everytime they were in his vacinity. Also, he went forward at good times and caused numbers problems for LA on counters.

In my opinion he should get man of the match eventhough Kovalenko had a sweet goal.

2. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Best game Brandon's ever had in a United uniform.. If we can get half that production on a regular basis, we will be OK..

3. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that BP was MOTM on Saturday, but he is getting hosed by the voters on dcunited.com.

If it means anything to you, get your butt over to dcunited.com and vote.

GM

4. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    I voted for Brandon. Best form I've ever seen out of the guy.

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    My BP moment was when he was left alone with Sideshow Cobi on the right side. He kept shielding the ball from the wee-wee one and poking it away until finally slinky-hair got frustrated and fouled him. Everyone, even the "Galaxy" fans around us applauded that.

Sachin

6. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Brandon and Sideshow: I swear that both of them must have some accumulated bad karma that they have to work out on the soccer field! Good entertainment for us.

7. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Sometimes the quietest players on the field have the most impact on the game.

Brandon Prideaux played a monster of a game!

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I agree that Brandon was MOTM.

I think he's been an unsung hero all year, filling in basically anywhere across the backline. Because of that versatility, I would like to see Bruce Almighty give Brandon a look-see the next time he has a camp (rumored to be in December).

9. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I'm sure everyone knows I'm a big Prideaux fan ... despite feeling that he shouldn't be taking penalties (but I digress). Some players just have other players' numbers, i.e. Zadie seems to have DaMarcus' number. Similarly, Prideaux has Cobi's number. Brandon shuts Cobi down every time ... it's always total domination.

It's nice to see Brandon getting his props ... but I'm sure he'll be back in most people's doghouse again soon enough. What most people don't realize about Brandon, is that he has excellent anticipation and good speed, so he is usually the guy saving the other defenders' bacon. When Prideaux makes a mistake ... there's usually nobody covering for him like he always covers for everyone else. That's one of the main reasons why when he makes a mistake (seldom though it is), it is usually a very glaring one. If we had 3 Brandon's on our back line, nobody would score on us.

-Digital

10. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    You know Brandon's having a good game when he can deliver a delightful ball in the final third as he did a couple times on Saturday. Usually his feet turn Lassiter-esque in terms of offensive reliability in that end.

11. StanfordSam

StanfordSam New Member

May 10, 2001
    Defensivly,as good as he can be,as good even than his championship year at KC ....I agree with Thamlin;the big difference that we all saw,was his play WITH the ball.

12. soccerhooligan33

soccerhooligan33 New Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Clifton, VA
    I think he may just play better man marking a attack minded midfielder, as we saw similar results when Brandon was marking dmb earlier in the season.

13. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena has a grudge against Brandon. Dating back to his KC days, right after MLS Cup 2000, he was in camp, and then left camp because of something trivial like a brother getting married. Bruce has apparently held that against him since.

With the extreme lack of depth in the US defense, Bruce cannot afford to keep the door shut on guys like Prideaux.

14. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Hey I like Brandon's play as well as anyone here, but to call him Nats material is as silly as , uh, those posters on the USMNT boards calling for Rusty Pierce to be called up.

No, I am not saying that Brandon is a thug like Rusty. I'm saying that neither of them go forward enough to justify a though in Arena's system as an outside back and neither of them are good enough on the inside as central defenders either. Petke will get the callup as a central defender before Prideaux does.

Now if Brandon all of a sudden regularly went forward and created good offensive opportunities, THEN he'll get looked at again. But until we see it regularly, the LA game was an abberation. Who knows- maybe Arena talked to him recently about getting forward more...

15. b1968k

b1968k New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Logan Circle, DC
    Brandon was showing off

His parents were in town for the game. I met them at the ManU/Celtic game in Seattle - his father and I were both wearing DCUnited jerseys - and they said they were going to be here for the LA and San Jose games.

Nice folks. I saw his father again at the game Saturday.

16. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brandon looked pretty damned good against LA, but Sideshow Cobi only has one move - a stutter-step followed by a burst of speed to his right side.

17. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Brandon was showing off

If that's the way he's going to play in front of his folks, ask them to relocate! Or at least travel every weekend. :)

18. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the time it was reported that Prideaux picked up an injury for that camp, though you may have better info than I do.

19. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I agree with Ursula on this one. People all the time are insisting that: Arena doesn't like Twellman, Arena doesn't like Ralston, Arena doesn't like Kreis, etc. If Arena's track record has shown anything, it's that he'll call someone into the side if he thinks they can contribute OR they're playing good soccer.

As for Prideaux, if you look at who Arena puts at outside back, they are people with good technical ability, able to surge forward and run the length of the field. That isn't BP's game (at least not consistently). Thus, Arena tries midfielders at outside back (like: Hejduk, Convey, Victorine).

As for central defense, I think BP runs into the same problems that Suarez has: he's not as dominant in the air as a Bocanegra or Califf or Llamosa or Pope or Berhalter.

BP is versatile and very good at what he does. Unlike Suarez, he plays "within himself" and generally doesn't try to do things he's not good at. He'd be an asset to any team in MLS. But I'd have to see a couple of consecutive games like he played against the Gals for me to conclude he's worthy of an invite.

20. Ravennaw

Ravennaw New Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Reston, VA
    all hail Prideaux............

yea, I was at that game, front row, sec. 133--that was sooooooooooo cool!!!

Prideaux's play has been incredible the last few games--He's such an Offensive Defender...I like that in my defenders!!! fr RavennaW/