Question about Italian Serie D

Discussion in 'Italy' started by Adrian P., Sep 4, 2003.

1. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    Question about Itakian Serie D

How big are the crowds to Ganes at Serie D?

What lays beneath serie D in Italy?

2. strega

strega New Member

Jun 17, 2003
    los angeles
    there's not a D; there's C1 & C2 and those are the bottom of the "professional" leagues in italy.

3. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    I am talking about the amateur Serie D under the Serie C2, there are 19 of these regional leagues.

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Serie D is the top rung of the CND (Campionato Nazionale Dilettanti, Italy's interregional amateur league). There are 9 groups in Serie D (not 19). Here is the official site:

http://www.interregionale.com/

Like most official league sites in Italy, it's pretty hard to navigate - even IF you know a bit of Italian.

I have no idea what sort of attendance they get at games, but I suspect not too much.

5. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    Thanks, I can see on the site some famous teams as Imperia and FC Vado playing in Serie D.

Do you know whats under Serie D?

6. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

Serie E?

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no organized national league under Serie D. Since Serie D is already an amateur league comprising 9 regional leagues anything under it would just be a Sunday league.

8. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    ah.... okay so no promotion and relegation between the Serie D and Sunday leagues?

9. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    serie D is the old name,nowadays it's called "Interregionale" a.k.a. Campionato Nazionale Dilettanti
    one level beneath is "Eccellenza",then "Promozione" and going down "1° categoria" , "2° categoria" and finally "3° categoria".

I don't have a precise idea of what a "sunday league" is,but if you are suggesting those are recreational leagues,think again. The players in Eccellenza and Promozione are part time professionals,the sponsors cover travel and equipment expenses for most 1°-2° and 3° categoria clubs. The totally recreational leagues are the "amatori",who are not officially affiliated with F.I.G.C. but have arrangements to use the facilities and referees of the affiliated clubs

I've posted the link on this board before; maybe the moderators should bookmark it,since the request comes up from time to time:
    Lega Nazionale Dilettanti

the whole picture

10. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    Well then Eccelenza may be called Serie "E" Ha Ha Ha.

Well I don't completely understand when Eccelenza and Promozione are Part Time Pro's. I heard from Others That Serie D is Amateur and C1 and C2 are part time pro's.

11. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    officially "pro":
    serie A
    serie B
    serie C1
    serie C2

officially amateurs:

Interregionale
    Eccellenza
    Promozione
    1° categoria
    2° categoria
    3° categoria

promotion arrow is upward

12. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    Thanks a lot about the system in Italy :)

13. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Yeah, thanks, bestianera. I've posted the LND link in the master links sticky thread for future reference.

14. BOBOVIERI

BOBOVIERI New Member

Sep 10, 2003
    Milano
    Re: Question about Itakian Serie D

Allora serie D non esiste + ....
    the following is :

SERIE A
    SERIE B
    SERIE C1
    SERIE C2
    INTERREGIONALE
    ECCELENZA
    PROMOZIONE
    PRIMA CATEGORIA
    SECONDA CATEGORIA
    TERZA CATEGORIA

DONE .............

I Campionati dilettanti, che poi dilettanti non sono
    propio, sono sempre pagati tutti i giocatori....sono
    molto seguiti .....
    Una squadra partendo dalla TERZA CATEGORIA, se vince tutti i campionati, puo' arrivare alla SERIE A.
    Un esempio il Chievo Verona, fino a pochi anni orsono militiva nei campionati dilettantistici..

Ciao e FORZA BOBO domenica tutti a Siena
    allo stadio.....

15. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    But I do continue to see references to "Serie D" in different places ie RAI Televideo. Perhaps the media still uses it as an easily-understand abbreviation. How long ago was it changed?

16. BOBOVIERI

BOBOVIERI New Member

Sep 10, 2003
    Milano
    Ciao Sue , credo che il tuo nome sia Susanna ?
    vero ?

I try to talk in english, as i told before serie D
    dosen t exist anymore they changed long time ago,
    and belevime there is alot competition in those
    dilettanti games, i can give you few esempi...
    Miccoli - Grosso (perugia) - legrottaglie (juve) -
    and many more, just few years ago they were
    playing in the campionati dilettanti....

17. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Ciao, Bobo - how's that ankle feeling today? ;) It got stamped on pretty good yesterday.

I understand there is no more Serie D - ufficialmente. However, I see places that still refer to it as "Serie D".

So - are you really an Inter fan or just a Vieri fan?

18. BOBOVIERI

BOBOVIERI New Member

Sep 10, 2003
    Milano
    Inter

Ciao Susy.................
    I m die hard INTER FOREVER Tifoso..........i go watch Inter play anytime i can,,,,,,I will be in
    Siena sunday and in London wensday with the
    ultras group IRRIDUCIBILI CURVA NORD i will
    suggest you and other to go at this site :
    www.antimilan.go.to/

Ciao

19. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Well, you won't like me quite as much when you find out I'm a Juve fan. But I've liked Vieri ever since he wore the bianconeri - for much too short of a time, I'm afraid.

20. BOBOVIERI

BOBOVIERI New Member

Sep 10, 2003
    Milano

Sue ummmmm i m sorry that you are
    una gobba , everybody make mistake
    no one is perfect,,,,,,,,we try to help..

Ciao

21. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    lol una gobba! :p very kind hehe

ciao Bobo io sonno un bianconeri tifoso.

22. gt76

gt76 New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Catania, Italy
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Serie D or Interregionale or CND (Campionato Nazionale Dilettanti) are all names for the same league. It's the national amateur league, and it stands between Serie C2 and regional amateur leagues, that are: Eccellenza (1st div.), Promozione (2nd div.) and 1a, 2a, 3a categoria (3rd, 4th and 5th level).
    Serie D is formed by 9 groups with 18 teams each, from all Italy and the teams in the same group are from different regions of Italy (hence the name "Inter-regionale").
    Regional Leagues include, as the name says, only clubs from the same region of Italy. "Il campionato di Eccellenza" has 28 groups over all Italy, each one including 16 or 18 teams. (Italy has 20 Regions, some of them have more than one group)
    Every year 36 teams go down from Serie D to Eccellenza and are replaced, of course, with the same number of teams that get promoted (28 group winners, 7 playoff winners and the winner of Coppa Italia Eccellenza - Italian Cup reserved for clubs playing in Eccellenza).
    About the number of fans who follow Serie D games it depends on the specific club and the specific group. Here in the south, for example, average attendances are a bit bigger than in the rest of Italy. Every year there are some clubs that just a few years before had played in Serie B or C1. For example this year the biggest club in the most southern group is Cosenza, that just last year was playing in B. One of their players is some Gianluigi Lentini that some of you may remember just a few years ago wearing Milan and Azzurri jerseys. Their first home game in the league - which they lost - was attended by a crowd of 8500.
    I can tell you that in the Eccellenza group (in Sicily) where my hometown team plays, the average attendance crowd is about 250-300, but my home team (that has played for many years in Serie C1 and C2 in the past decades) attendance average is the highest in the group with about 400-500. The most important games can reach 1000 or more.
    As it was stated before in this thread, many clubs in Serie D and Eccellenza are really semi-professional, all of the players are paid, and some of them get paid very well. There are also a few foreign players (most from Argentina or African countries - Cameroon especially) playing in these leagues, at least here in the South.

23. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Thanks for all the information. I really cannot believe Lentini is still playing for Cosenza this season. Has he gotten publicity for this in the same way that Angelo DiLivio got praised for sticking with Fiorentina last season? And congratulations to Inter for yesterday's performance, BTW.

24. gt76

gt76 New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Catania, Italy
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    More info about current Cosenza squad can be found here: http://www.cosenzasupporters.it/squadra.asp

They are one of the favourite teams for promotion this year.
    One of their most important players is argentinian defender Del Rio who has played as a starter with Dundee FC in the Scottish PremierLeague for 2 years. There are also many players who have played for years in Serie C. Gianluigi Lentini scored their winning goal last sunday, he is the captain of the team and the fans' hero at Cosenza.

25. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    wow thanks gt76 your informations are awesome......... and yes i remember Lentini from my young years........ so thanks for the info just what i wanted.......

Any way how can teams with a few hundreds in crowds manage to sustain semi-professionalism?