Reyna to Blackburn?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Jun 21, 2003.

1. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Is there any chance that Dunn does not get sold? If true, this is great news for Reyna!

2. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's an interesting rumor (or should I say 'rumour'?).

Should it be true, and come true, then please let it be this month so I can watch both Renya and Friedel play against United...

Oh, wait...when's the Gold Cup? Isn't Renya aiming his recovery to play in it?

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be great for Reyna...playing for a UEFA Cup club. But from what I saw of Rovers, they need a central defender or two more than anything.

Aren't the Rovers fans always bitching that they need a right back? ;)

(Actually, I think they're always bitching that they need a left back.)

4. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that would be awesome... Reyna and Friedel, together at last. :)

5. EscoDU01

EscoDU01 New Member

May 24, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be a good move for reyna, and besides, we get to see Blackburn games on FSW next year. Another 3 years in the EPL and then come home.

6. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Neill and Gresko should have RB and LB down pat this season....if Dunn is to be sold, I really hope this Reyna deal goes down....I'd be absolutely thrilled. In regards to the CB situation, the deal with Amoruso of Rangers is supposed to be in the works, so hopefully that will settle that. Go to Ewood Claudio!

7. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The RB comment was sarcasm - there were some Americans who were calling for Reyna to play Right Back for a long time.

8. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    ok, gotcha

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    This would be very interesting. Reyna beating Tugay out for the starting spot again. Is Kerim going anywhere? I don't know how he and CR got along, but Tugay couldn't hold that inside RM spot at Gers no matter what he did. Wonder if he's looking forward to another showdown?

10. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
  11. terrywilson

terrywilson Member

May 3, 1999
    Atlanta Ga.
    Man, Blackburn make out on the deal, make money off of Dunn and Reyna to me is an upgrade over Dunn, even though he is 30 now. Claudio just never got the breaks in Europe due to injuries, but he is a top level holding midfielder, not an attacking mid, but a holding mid. Just what Blackburn need. Now if this only happens, can we petition FSW for all Blackburn games next year?

12. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    yeah, it would be nice to see Rovers more than 4-5 times a year!

13. Blue Eyed Soul

Blue Eyed Soul New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    This would be a sweet deal for Reyna, back in the top flight. Rovers will improve, and We Americans get another reason to support the club.
    Captain America and Lurch!!

14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not to question the mirror, but is Souness really engineering a trade for Reyna before seeing if he's back from a very serious injury? Love to see reyna in Blbrn, but it seems like a stretch to talk about this before the gold cup.

15. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awww defenders schneffenders! Who needs them when you got Friedel! ;)

I say Rovers play in a 2-6-2. Clog up the midfield, go direct, play the 2 defenders as sweeping midfielders and Friedel to stop almost all the shots that somehow happen to get through! :D

16. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Are rovers holding onto Duff for next year?

17. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    I remember Reyna's injury lasted (at least) 6 months is he fit now or still recovering?

18. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    Bizarrely, I predicted this exact scenario when I heard Dunn had fallen out with Souness. I had no real basis for it, other than Souness being a former Rangers man and Friedel being there. Here's hoping it goes through.

19. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    I find the idea of Reyna replacing Dunn odd, as I see Reyna as a holding, more defensive midfielder, and Dunn as a pure attacking player(where does he play, right mid?).

I always thought one mistake that peter Reid made was putting Reyna at A-mid. As soon as the second manager(what was his name) took over for Sunderland he moved him back to D-mid.

And Mario, it looks like the recovery is taking longer than expected. An article today on espn.com mentioned that he will likely miss the Gold Cup, which had been a goal for Claudio to return in, as well as a good opportunity to show that he was back for any team that might be interested in him.

Here it is, bottom of article.
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=270314&cc=5901

20. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Thanks Blong, I think Dunn plays wide open on the right!

21. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Sometimes.

Mostly, he's used in the center, or on the left as a replacement if Duff's hurt. Souness used Thompson (when he wasn't hurt or suspended) or Gillespie on the right mostly.

22. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Reyna goes to Blackburn as I am a supporter of them. He would be a good replacement for Dunn.

23. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Reyna might replace Captain Flitcroft in the center. Last year, Dunn had to play a number of matches in the defensive midfield slot covering for Flitcroft.

Damien Duff is very injury prone and of course David Thompson was hurt towards the end of the year. With his playing style, it is important to have good cover. I would think that even if Duff and Dunn both remained (it sounds like Dunn will probably move to Birmingham who finally seemed to come up with an offer that Blackburn could accept), that Reyna would have a place . . .

Duff - Thompson - Tugay - Dunn

Flitcroft and Reyna would be the first guys off the bench (in fact Reyna might beat Dunn out at RM, as Souness sat him even when healthy for parts of the season).

And Reyna may displace Tugay, although he is not as sure a ballwinner I don't think. In any event, the relative strength of Blackburn's midfield makes it almost more likely that Souness might spring for Reyna because he could afford to give him a little more time to settle in and then move him into the starting XI when he finally sold Dunn or Duff near the end of the transfer window.

If the team was very thin at midfield, it would be a much bigger gamble to buy Reyna out-right. Of course, if Sunderland want a big transfer fee - this will all be moot. They will probably go for a cut-price in order to get CR's high wages off their books.

24. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States