Metrostars v. Chicago POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by alf, Jun 14, 2003.

1. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Post game comments in this thread only. Thank you.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things fell apart at the end, but it was a good second half for the most part, and Andy got three assists!

3. betes

betes New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    not only did andy get three assists, but they were all good. He was distributing wonderfully and obviously his dribbling was entertaining. Whitfield managed to be disappointing in the end (even without the bad foul) but he did have some of his best moments of the season. Ralph and razov are a great pair. I think Faria will do well comming off the bench in games that we're trailing, but htose two are clearly the starters. But all that is for this week. it seems to change week to week.

4. westsidepunk

westsidepunk Member

May 31, 2003
    Tucson, AZ
    Its always fun to see five goals scored, but this was a bit of a sloppy game. I wonder if chicago wins this game if howard is in the net. seems as if Grafer made a few mistakes in his positioning that may have allowed goals to be scored.

5. betes

betes New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    on the second goal he certainly was in a bad position, and howard may ahve made that save...but he might have been in a bad position because he didn't expect ralph to get to it. Ralph made the goal with his speed and the toe poke.

I have another question. Why didn't Whitfield get a yellow for that foul at the end. Its like the ref was so excited to give the PK that he forgot to give a card.

6. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mathis would have scored on that early 1v1 with Thorton. Of course he probably would have flying kicked Thorton in the head after he threw amado guevera into the goal too.

Metros played well when they had confidence. The passes got sloppier as the score line got worse. I guess that comes with youth.

Love that field turf.

7. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    What a game

Razov and Ralph continue to contribute. Andy Williams finally starts to make a difference. Thorton throws Guevarra into the net. We beat Bob. Couldnt ask for more!!

8. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows if we would have scored those goals with Howard in the net and yet who knows if they would have scored that first goal if we had carlos,armas and beasley. Nice finishing and I hope to see more of that kind of play in the future from Williams. We need someone to create and make that great last pass.
    I don't care if Whitfield did push a little on the pk call you almost never see that call made with the offensive guy's back to the goal and no real chance to score. He went down like a ton of bricks he wasn't pushed that hard.
    They lose to a bad team like dc and then beat ny. With this team you never know what you're going to get.

9. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    not much to add...but...i cannot believe that Zach didnt get a red for shoving Guevara

10. Matteo

Matteo New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    if he would have made it to ball, maybe. i don't think he's as quick as gaven.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah, good thing the Fire didn't have any guys called up to the national team or anything. We sure caught a break there.

12. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Perhaps the ref saw Guevara provoking him? They were much closer and could hear what was going on. It'll be interesting to see if the disciplinary committee has anything to say on this.

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I can't believe that whiny POS Guevara didn't get a card for having his arms around Zach's neck either.

14. Tahu

Tahu Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Chicago-North Suburb
    And he was acting like he got punched, when he didn't. It was the right call. Yellow was appropriate for both players poor behavior. Zachs behavior was a bit worse - he let the little guy get under his skin.

15. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    Andy Williams had a very good game. Playing his former team is great motivation. What happens now?

16. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Guevara is a goon who was picking fights all day as well as diving. You don't go into an opponent's goal after your team scored and grab the keeper and hold him like he did. Scum. But we had Brian Hall so what do you expect.
    We got rid of Graziano. Now we have Guevara.,

17. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    Yeah, I mean he wasnt even the one with the ball. The ball had already been taken from the net and by holding Thornton he was just wasting more of their time. So he got what he deserved. We'll have a good time harassing him from Section 8 in two weeks time.

18. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Illuminating as always, Tom. You know, you're totally right about Guevara going in and mixing it up with Thornton, and he got what he deserved by getting thrown into the side netting. But he's not a diver-- he plays through fouls as much as any other midfielder in the league-- and he is certainly not a goon.

Guevara should have gotten a yellow, but the over-the-top response from Zach made Guevara's bitchy hassling look like nothing by comparison, so I can see why the card was only shown once. Zach certainly shouldn't have seen a red. He was totally provoked-- he was making no move to prevent LeBlanc from grabbing the ball and running it back to the center line, which seems to be what Guevara was anticipating.

Hall called as good a game as you'll see in MLS. I wondered if anyone could complain... it's not a surprise to see who did.

Fun game, in any case. Chicago should have an easier time of things in Naperville, especially if the Metros defense continues to slob around like it did today.

19. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Forgive a metro fan from jumping in...but...well...the PK seemed pretty soft to me (and I was behind the goal). It struck me as a make-up call - perhaps the ref was unwilling to show red to the keeper and this way he punished him twice.

And I'm not trolling here, but after the first metros goal, Zach moved to block the 2 metros from bringing the ball back to center. Metros grab ball, turn around and sprinted into a sumo wrestler, and things went downhill from there.

Anyway, your guys outhustled us all game to almost every loose ball, and defended well against the many crosses that were conceded. I was impressed by your back 4, and also with the way your forwards held up the ball and laid it off dangerously. You deserved the points.

20. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    He's most talented goon I've ever seen gooning around the field.

What did Hall do wrong, you don't think Thorton deserved at least a yellow? Thought Hall did one of the better jobs of reffing than I've seen all season.

21. Guevara was demonstrating the Honduran choke hold, since we all know how proficient Hondurans are at choking.

22. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Hopefully this is a sign that he is starting to gel with the team, if so, this could be a very exciting season, even without some of our USNT stars.

23. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Metrostars v. Chicago POST Match Thread [R]

You know, if he had three assists every time we play one of his former teams, he'd have a hell of a lot of assists this year :)

24. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    Guevara is good. He may have been provoking Thornton and he did pull a Rivaldo after the fact, but he played a stellar game.

Chicago easily deserved the win in a very entertaining match. Williams played a surprisingly (with this manic Chicago squad you never know what to expect) good game, and Ralph was awesome, just like he was against SJ.

BTW, it's my personal opinion that Brian Hall is the best ref in MLS. This after he called a pretty good game between LA and Colorado last week.

25. Fireball_Dan

Fireball_Dan New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Palos Park, IL
    Hopefully, more of the same against Dallas on Wednesday night.