American Soccer, Now and the Future.

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by slip2break, Aug 5, 2002.

1. slip2break

slip2break New Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American Soccer, Now ant the Future.

The issue of American Soccer and how to build attendence was brought up on the J-League forum, so I decided to start the thread here instead of adding it the J-League conversation.

This was the quote that originally got my brain working, "Good point, and more clubs would help both MLS and the lower divisions. The problem is finding people who can afford things like the travel necessary in the States."

I have to agree that more clubs would help soccer to thrive in this country. Right now people in cities without MLS or USL teams live in a regional bubble. Sure they might catch a game or two on TV, but for the most part, American Soccer holds no interest due to a lack of local teams. Obviously, we Big Soccer obsessed folk are the exception to this rule.

In my opinion the USL is doing a wonderful job, for the limited resources that are available to them. I am also happy with the MLS's progress, even though I feel single entity lacks the grassroots aspect of soccer, the concept of "the club", that made fans fanatics overseas. But I feel this aspect of the MLS will either appear, or the league will never grow and will eventually collapse. The Club and Country ads are a very positive step forward.

My feeling is that the sports future in this country lies in the USL. The MLS can only expand so far under single entity (Rochester's a very good example of this), and will eventually realize that the USL is developing ready made clubs. This might take 10 to 20 years to occur, but eventually a merger is will occur (in my humble opinion).

Let me set the ground rules for this thread: This IS NOT to turn into a promotion/religation thread. What I wish to do, is to discuss the successes that have been achieved in the USL- what has worked and what has not worked.

In addition, I wish to share my vision, which is that any motivated individual in a so called "soccer clubless" town can do his or her part to start a Club in their town. My feeling is that that is what drew us all to Big Soccer in the first place..... it is a collection of people who love the sport and wish it to succeed in this country- through hell or high-water.

First a little about me. I am just an ordinary person like yourselves. What I can and will do is put a Professional Soccer Club in Buffalo, NY. I received all the neccessary information from the USL.... costs, sample budgets, ect, and know first hand that anyone can pull this off if they are focused on this goal. In addition, it is not as much of a "money sink hole" as many people on this board seem to think it is. Yes, there are poorly run organizations; people have made some bad decisions. But there are many organizations that will survive. These survivors are the future of American soccer.....

What needs to be identified, is who will survive. The models that these teams use must be duplicated in new markets. Obtaining the resources to start a club is the easy part. Making it thrive takes a bit of luck, but relies mainly on sound decision making.

So let the conversation begin......

-r

2. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    I would love to have some spare change around to set up a team in say Madison, WI. It isn't that far (40 miles) from where I grew up and it is a city that somewhat likes soccer. So when I start to make some real money or win the lottery, here I come!

Cheesehead Zach

3. Lufbra

Lufbra New Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Burbank, CA
    I think merging is the only way to go for this sport to go.

If you read Garbers recent 'State of league" address from a distance than you realise that he's basically agreeing with me. He talks about expanding MLS to 20 teams to create a national footprint. The only way MLS can do that is to go in USL cities like Atlanta, Milwaukee, Seattle, Pittsburgh and Minnesota. He also talks about each MLS team having youth/developemental squads. The A-league teams already have that (at least a good number fo them do) and, besides, were would these teams compete; with AYSO kids in summer camp? Hope not. The USL has already set up a youth league (Y-league) for the purpose of providing their youth teams with a more competitive brand of soccer. So the pieces are all there for a merger. Sooner or later it's going to happen. There are already A-leaguers who have refused MLS call-ups because they want to stay with their higher paying A-league teams and the D-3 connection is moving further away every year. How long before the USL teams decide to break their affliation with the MLS all together? They're currently working on annual contract that is renewed in the off-season. Sooner or later- I believe- the USL will no want to put their mark on that document than MLS will be out in the cold.

The two main concerns are the dreaded single entity concept (gotta go) and stadium issues in the USL (no more carpet, just grass) there is also the problem of Anschultz owning all those teams but other than that MLS has no other option because MLS is starting to lose ground. Since the USSF decided to give MLS first division status the USL (after the A-league merger) has growing substantially more than MLS. It has added leagues at various levels, attracted more new owners (it has also lost alot more owners), and has put in the building blocks for their future (the Y-league, the countless summer camps, the connection to clubs from abroad.) MLS + USL: it's the only way to go.

4. Lufbra

Lufbra New Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Burbank, CA
    BTW: You were right to choose the USL structure over the MLS single - entity business plan. You'll save a ton of money, it easier to work under USL rules and the league format is simular to that used the world over. Also you won't have Anschultz buying you out in a few years time giving him even more teams.

5. slip2break

slip2break New Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all reality, choosing the USL over the MLS was really only due to the amount of capital it would take to bring MLS to Buffalo.... which is truely a bad idea as we have only limited support for the prospects of a professional team in Buffalo. Plus with Rochester within the "50 mile arch", it seemed like a better idea to have the cities work together, and build this region together. That means starting Buffalo off in a league lower then the A-League.

In terms of leaving a footprint on the nation, the MLS is really trying to make up ground that the USL has already covered. The USL is everywhere within the 48 contenental states. I support the MLS, but it is good to know that if the MLS does fold, the USL will be there without missing a beat.